1. Collapse Details
    postponed build, what to do with the engine?
    I recently purchased a 2008 cbr 600 engine for a future build. I had no intention of buying an engine. It was offered for sale and I offered what i felt was a low ball number and he accepted, Oops

So now i have an engine that I saw video of it running but has since been drained of fluids and is wrapped in its harness and plastic wrap. I wont be ready to start collecting parts for this build for another 10 months or so.

Is there anything i need to do to save the engine at this point. I suppose my concern is that fuel may still be in the rail gumming up. Is there a way to get it out or check to see if it is still there? Should i refill the engine with fluids and run it every month?

Thx in advance for the help

2. Collapse Details
    Re: postponed build, what to do with the engine?
    Just leave it be. My new tl1000r engine sat for 3 years with a tank of bad fuel and I had no problem getting it running with fresh gas.

3. Collapse Details
    I am thinking Ah09's gas was not to bad if it allowed him to do that! lol

I would at least get some "Stabile" in it if you could. Its likely easier to get it in now than to clean out gummed up fuel later. Some fuel goes bad quicker than others. Depends on the batch and the refinery etc.

Depending on how long its gonna sit I am one of those people who do not like to see valve springs compressed for too long as I feel it can damage them. Especially ones that are made to rev to the moon. I would have a way to spin the motor over now and then so that no one valve spring stays compressed for to long but thats me.

Fogging the motor with fogging oil is also not a bad idea IMO. Often done when its running so that will take the time to make it run again usually.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    It was really rank stuff tank was rusted terribly, I neglected to mention I had to put another tank on it and cycle the fuel pump a few times before it fired up. Not the smoothest at first but it cleared out. Was I just lucky?

5. Collapse Details
    Might have been. I have had fuel tarnish in under a year and literally block block everything. Fuel injection sytems "tend" to deal with it better if you are a gambling man!

I HATE cleaning fuel systems and adding the stabilzer stuff is easy in comparison so guess what I prefer!
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, this was the first fuel injected motor I messed with if it was carbureted it would've been a mess! How should he put stabil in if he just has the motor? (and throttle bodies I'm assuming)

7. Collapse Details
    The only way I would KNOW to get it everywhere fuel is now is to run it with it added to the fuel supply.

There "may" be drains that would drain it and a little stabile could be poured in but would it get into the places it needs to be? I dunno.

This is why I prefer to do my own teardowns. Heck I will not usually buy a motor I cannot see run and will not give a lot for it if I cannot ride it.

A running motor can still have issues only evident under load or in a bike motor could have a bad tranny that pops out of gear.

He also mentioned that he saw this motor running in a video but IS it the same motor? Not hard to fake this if a scammer was trying to sell a bad engine.

Also it might have ran fine in the vidoe but three days later the engine could have been ran low on oil?

I aint hoping ill on him I am just saying. As you can see in my SIG I do not trust to many.

Some people have tried to scam me and sell me junk ond other were just to dumb to know they had ruined a motor. But thought they were selling a jewel.

Even buying a used motor if the guy will not sign and date (get a notary of the public to sign it even) a note saying its good in all way I will walk away. With that note if you take him to small claims court its usually a slam dunk win IF the motor is a lemon.

A motor I cannot see run is worth its weight in scrap metal most of the time.

I have been burned a couple times but I "got" my money back.

8. Collapse Details
    i have everything i need to run it, supposedly. Bought it off ebay. Guy is about two hours away. 2008 HONDA 600RR ENGINE MOTOR WATCH VIDEO RUNNING 2007 CBR600RR 600 RR KIT ECU | eBay
    He was asking 950 plus 200 shipping. He took 700 and i picked it up. On pick up he mentioned yoshi, one from this site, I dont know, but he said the guy builds buggies out west. He has great feedback, i paid half cash and half through paypal.

It sounds like what i need to do is get it on a stand and run it. That way I can get stabil through it and so i can make sure it works, in that way at least i will have immediate recourse for at least half the funds. This wont tell me everything about the motor and tranny but seems to be the best i can do right now. I supposed I could run it every couple months........hmmmmm......kinda wish i waited, i just didnt think he would except the offer based on what he was asking for it.

9. Collapse Details
    You need the correct fuel pump to run it. Probably located inside the bike's tank.