Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Adding a oil cooler to Arctic Cat 660 turbo engine
    I have a Arctic Cat 660 turbo engine in my buggy. I have a JD Powersports plug and play kit on the motor which increases the engine 40hp bring the engine to 150 hp.
    JD POWERSPORTS
    I live in Texas and the temperatures have been around 105-108 F this summer. When I run the engine hard it was hitting 240 F engine temperature. I up graded the radiator to a double core radiator with a high output fan. Doing this produced a engine temperature of 225 F while running the engine hard. I wanted to get a lower engine temperature but all ready have the biggest radiator I could fit in my roll cage. So I wanted to add a engine a oil cooler. I could not find any accessory engine oil cooler kits that any company makes for the Arctic Cat 660 turbo engine. On the Arctic Cat 660 turbo engine the oil filter sits under the the turbo so there is not a lot of room to add connections to the engine from the oil cooler. So I will have to modify a sandwich adapter made for some other engine.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Adding a oil cooler to Arctic Cat 660 turbo engine
    The picture shows what oil filter connects to on the engine. The Arctic Cat 660 turbo engine has water lines that run to a chamber below the oil filter that cools or heats the engine oil to the water temperature. The hose connections are for the water lines. The steel tube in the center is what the oil filter screws on to, it has a 3/4 unf-16 thread . The hole in the center of the tube has a 0.475 I.D. hole in it. So I am going to try to keep every thing in my oil cooler install close to 0.5 I.D. so I do not restrict oil flow.
    I.D. = internal diameter

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:03 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    I started looking for a sandwich adapter to set under the oil filter. I found the GLOW SHIFT Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapter- 3/4 unf-16 thread
    Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapter - 3/4 unf-16
    The website said it came with 2 AN-10 fitting for the oil lines to connect to, when I got it, the AN-10 fitting stepped down to a 3/8 NPT at the sandwich adapter. So the fittings went from a 0.5 I .D. at the oil line connection to a 0.35 I.D. in the sandwich adapter. I wanted to keep close to a 0.5 I.D. all the way through the oil cooler install so I would not be restricting oil flow. So I got some fittings that go from a AN-10 fitting to a 1/2 NPT. I had to drill out and tap the sandwich adapter to a 1/2 NPT. In drilling out the sandwich adapter I drilled in to the wall that separates oil coming out the filter and the oil returning to the engine . I had to do some JB Weld repair to fill in a 0.15 dia hole that got drilled into the wall, no big deal. The sandwich adapter has 2 holes on side 1/8 NPT for pressure gage connections, I filled these these holes with JB Weld, the plugs for these holes that it came with the sandwich adapter stick out too far and will hit stuff on the engine.
    I had to do some Dremel work on the sandwich adapter to smooth out all the JB Weld repairs I did. In the pictures the gray areas are the JB weld repairs. The sandwich adapter is 1.3 inches thick, this is the max thickness that will fit and still have room for the oil filter.

I.D. = internal diameter

NPT = national pipe thread

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/attachments/a/24067d1419613411-adding-oil-cooler-arctic-cat-660-turbo-engine-oil-cooler-004.jpg?stc=1[/img]

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:06 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    The picture shows dimensions for sandwich adapter. The Arctic Cat 660 turbo engine oil filter 2.5 inch in diameter.

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:07 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Arctic Cat 660 turbo engine is made by Suzuki for Arctic Cat. The oil filter Arctic Cat sells is (Suzuki part number 16510-82703) this filter will be to tall to fit with a sandwich adapter installed. Suzuki makes a shorter oil filter part number 16510-87j00 which will work. You can get the filter at Boats.net
    16510-87J00 SUZUKI FILTER,OIL DF25 $10.68

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:09 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Here is a picture with the sandwich adapter on the engine

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:10 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Here is a picture with the sandwich adapter and oil filter on the engine. The water line going to the turbo sets above the oil filter and runs long the side of the oil filter. Part of this water line is steel tube and part of it is rubber line. I had to bend the steel tube upward and forward about 0.1 inch, just grab the tube and pull, it bends easy. When I put the oil filter on it lightly hits the water line as I start to screw the filter on. When the filter is screw down all the way it clears the water line by about 0.6 inch.

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:12 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Here are pictures with the oil lines connected

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:16 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    more pictures of oil lines connected

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:17 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    The oil cooler I used is Derale Performance part 15830, it is ( 7 1/2 in. wide ) x ( 12 in. tall ) x ( 3 7/8 in. thick ) with 7 inch Fan, 1/2 in. Hose Barb Fittings
    Derale Cooling Products 15830 - Derale Performance Econo-Cool Remote Fluid Coolers with Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I used radiator hose with 0.5 internal diameter for oil lines.

I wanted a fan on the cooler because I had to mount the cooler at a angle to on coming air, I did not have a lot room to mount the cooler. I hope the fan will make up for the less than ideal mounting location.

In the picture looking aft from the front of the buggy the upper middle is my inter-cooler for the turbo, in the lower middle is the radiator for engine coolant, the far side (black) is the oil cooler.

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast