1. Collapse Details
    Fuel Flow Question
    Question
    I have read many threads regarding fuel flow but I have not seen a comprehensive location for my possible problems.

Here we go - I have a ZZR1200 in a 2 seater long travel buggy. Gas tank is in the rear and a little lower than the carbs. I am using the stock fuel pumps. They are a little higher than the bottom of the gas tank and lower than the carbs. I currently have no fuel filter. I'm running 87 octane. All emissions have been removed.

I want to replum to fuel flow.

Question 1. With the stock fuel pumps, does the location of the pumps or tank relative to the carbs matter?

Question 2. Do the stock pumps push fuel to the carbs and draw fuel from the tank or are the pumps gravity fed?

Question 3. Do I only need 1 fuel filter and it should be after tank and before the pump?

Question 4. Racing around the dunes I have no obvious problems, but when I hill climb, it looses most of its power and most times I have to turn back. What could cause this?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Fuel Flow Question
    I don't know anything about that engine or carbs. Have you tried this site and thread?
    Carb 101 ........

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    I run a 600 carb'ed Kawa. Aftermarket fuel pump and pressure reg set to 1.5 psi. Almost all are gravity feed pusher pumps. Have you checked level of your floats? Should be able to put a clear hose on bottom of bowl open drain holding hose up side of bowl measure how high it travels. Should be about half I think, look at manuel.

Oh yeah, almost forgot Carbs Suck!! Fuel inj on next rail.

4. Collapse Details
    I played with carbs (Ninja 600) for a loooong time before I threw in the towel. I tried stock carbs, modified stock carbs, swapped those out for Mikuni RS rack. The Mikuni RS rack was by far the greatest improvement in performance and drivability but it is still a carb, it could not handle more than a few seconds of whoops before they would misfire and flood but it still was not "right". After one afternoon of playing with the carbs, in frustration I took the air cleaner assembly off completly and took it for a run. The balance of the drivability/running problems disappeared, apparently this little 600cc motor needed more air than could be filtered by the air filter assembly. Pod style bolt ons helped but needed very frequent cleaning... lots of silt in the desert that just caked the pod style filter.

5. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    +1 I run pods with outters, get dirty easy.