1. Collapse Details
    vw engine problem!
    i live in norway.. extreamly cold these days.. negative 20 degrees now.. fml..

but enywhoom.. the engine on my crosscart.. is running to cold.. the carburator is to cold.. eny good ideas how to heat it up?

or should i buy a new engine? i only have like 300 $ so im kind off @@@@ed.. :S

2. Collapse Details
    Re: vw engine problem!
    Is it an early air cooled motor? If so it should have thermastatic louvers to control the amount of air that passes over the motor. The carb should allready have heat risers off the manifold to pre heat it.

3. Collapse Details
    If you have a stock fan shroud it will have those louvers. They aren't as pretty, but work a lot better in heat and cold. If you have dual carbs it gets tricky for heat risers, but not impossible. If you have an external oil cooler you may think about covering it too. Good luck, hope you get it figured out....And try to stay warm yourself
    ...it's only a flesh wound...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Odyknuck View Post
    Is it an early air cooled motor? If so it should have thermastatic louvers to control the amount of air that passes over the motor. The carb should allready have heat risers off the manifold to pre heat it.
    its a early vw motor..

but can't seem to find these risers?

do you have a picture or something'?

5. Collapse Details
    here is a link to a downloadable VW manual in pdf format. WORKSHOP_MANUAL_-_VOLSKWA5.pdf

the bellows are visible in the cut view of the motor. The file size is about 45 megs.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by peephole View Post
    i live in norway.. extreamly cold these days.. negative 20 degrees now.. fml..

but enywhoom.. the engine on my crosscart.. is running to cold.. the carburator is to cold.. eny good ideas how to heat it up?

or should i buy a new engine? i only have like 300 $ so im kind off @@@@ed.. :S
    What configuration of carb are you running? Is it a single on the stock intake manifold? Are you having problems with the intake manifold icing over?

I had this problem with my street buggy and the only cure was to either run the exhaust back up through the bottom of the intake to prevent icing or to pull carb intake air from a heated air source. Stock bugs have a hose that draws hot air up from the air that exits the cylinder area.

Another thing is do run a dual carb setup. The carbs are attached to the head by a short manifold so they don't ice over.

7. Collapse Details
    I heard that you can run the oil lines up around the carb to keep it from icing up. Never seen the setup so I don't have detailed info.
    All you got to do is remember 2 thing, Mentum and Mo-Mentum.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by peephole View Post
    its a early vw motor..

but can't seem to find these risers?

do you have a picture or something'?
    Odyknuck wrote "The carb should allready have heat risers off the manifold to pre heat it."

The heat riser that Odyknuck is referring to is incorporated into bottom of the single carb intake manifold. There is a tube that runs along the bottom of the intake manifold that is attached to the exhaust manifold in two places. The tube is designed to move exhaust gasses through one end of the tube then along the bottom of the intake manifold runner and exits out the opposite end. The gasses flowing through the lower manifold heating tube keeps the intake manifold from icing over in cold weather. The tube works well when the stock VW exhaust system is used but works poorly then an aftermarket exhaust is used.

The reason for this is that the exit of the intake heating tube exits deep inside the stock VW muffler basically at the muffler exit which creates a vacuum in this tube drawing exhaust gasses through it. If you are not running the stock muffler the exhaust gasses do not flow all of the way through the tube. The gasses just kind of move in and out of each side where it is attached to the exhaust header.