Thread: Vintage Cammex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Vintage Cammex
    Posted the buggy in another thread but wanted to post in the motor section as well. Can anyone tell me what I have here? Or any info on Cammex? I see they did some three wheeler heads for the old 250r trikes but that about it.

Is this snow engine? Was told half race gas only by last owner. How can I tell how many CC this is?

Thanks friends

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Vintage Cammex
    I would guess 250cc - 350cc May use stock Honda piston????? It depends how the head was cut? I would try 50/50. Could have a high C/R
    Don't think it is out of a sled. Too small, not enough H.P.

Nuts for sand would know more.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by millbilly View Post
    I would guess 250cc - 350cc May use stock Honda piston????? It depends how the head was cut? I would try 50/50. Could have a high C/R
    Don't think it is out of a sled. Too small, not enough H.P.

Nuts for sand would know more.
    They guy I got the buggy from told me the motor was in a box when he got it. Took it to a shop and had them put it back and get it running. They told him it was a 250 at one time but is larger now. They told him that it was a race motor from the 80's. They also told him 50/50 with race gase.

On top of the head in the casting it reads CRP.

Perhaps this is an odyessy engine with a water cooled Cammex head?

It looks like they used the original motors application mounts to mount the motor. Perhaps someone can tell from them. I will post better pics tomorrow of those.

Thanks man
    Last edited by bighead; 09-17-2010 at 02:27 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    some pics of the motor.

Here are some pics of the motor

5. Collapse Details
    Stock bottom end with aftermarket Cyl. and head. Could have a long rod??? Or crank pin could have been moved??? Almost looks like a copy of a 81-82 CR 250 Cyl and head. Just a guess.....

6. Collapse Details
    Large center section of pipe is made for low to mid range, less on top.
    Smaller center section is for top end. We would a smaller center on 1/4+ mile tracks (mini sprints)a little differnt than a Oddy

Could cammex, CRP be cometic today????

7. Collapse Details
    I found the owner of Cammex (CRP Cammex Racing Products) now is called CPI Racing Heads.

I guess the bottom end guts are all Odyessy. The Cases jug and head are all Cammex products.

This is from the old Cammex owner. He is a member over at three wheeler world.

You do indeed have a piece of Odyssey Racing history, GREAT FIND!
    The engine is a CAMMEX Racing Products, (CRP) 250cc engine.....(unless it had one of the "Open Class" engines, then it could be as large as a 360cc), The cylinder was the same cylinder and head that we made to fit onto the 81-84 ATC250R engine, that cylinder and head were built for the 250 class AND the open class, so the only way to tell which you may have is to pull the head and take some measurements.
    We built the cases for the Odyssey to adapt the existing Cammex cylinders to that engine compartment. The engine should run very well, ones just like that, (in fact....could have been that one....lol), won quite a few AATVA Nationals in their day.
    There were many guys that ran the engines, but you might look for anything about one of the "Bagus" brothers, (may have been spelled "Bogus"), the two brothers ran very hard, won several major races, and I believe at least one of them, (Mike Bagus.....I think), either won or took 2nd in the National Championship Points a year or two.

I WOULD LOVE to find one of those for playing at Little Sahara, even though they were closed course machines, (before there were "side-by-sides"....lol), they would be a BLAST in the dunes!
    When you have to tear it down, take down some numbers and call the shop.....I would be glad to help you keep it fresh and going strong.

8. Collapse Details
    double post

Ting ting ting
    Last edited by bighead; 09-18-2010 at 03:15 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by millbilly View Post
    Large center section of pipe is made for low to mid range, less on top.
    Smaller center section is for top end. We would a smaller center on 1/4+ mile tracks (mini sprints)a little differnt than a Oddy

Could cammex, CRP be cometic today????
    If I understand it right Cammex is now CPI Racing heads. CPI makes some nice stuff for the 250r and Banshees.

http://www.cpiracing.com/store/

Looks like I got a kick but engine.
    Last edited by bighead; 09-18-2010 at 03:58 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Didn't think about the 250R. We ran a 83 250R on a 81-82 CR250 bottom end. 81-83 Cr or R would interchange with a CR bottom end. Differnt porting for differnt tracks... Looks like it will work on a ody...
    Should put you back in the seat when you grab the gas.

CR250 is a better bottom end than the 250R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast