Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Any tips on 98-2000 GSXR600 Engine Electrical
    So, I'm still debating on weather or not I should use this motor, but I figured I'd start by trying to learn a little more about what it would take to use it.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the wiring harness as to what is typically done in a buggy install?

I'm a greenhorn when it comes to this level of electrical, so I'm all ears for any suggestions. I have a service manual and looking at the wiring diagram, but I'm not sure where to start.

The wiring harness I got with the motor is in pretty poor shape, looks like it rolled around with the motor and there are some exposed wires in places. This is why I'm thinking maybe I can start by reducing the harness to the bare minimum.

I'm also aware than I'm missing the regulator rectifyier, and the ignition switch.

Here are some questions I was wondering about:

• Do you need the speedometer/guage cluster to run this motor?
    • Do you need a fuel pump or can it be gravity fed?
    • Can I bypass the ignition switch with some basic toggle switch/push buttons?
    • Sidestand and Clutch Lever position switch. To bypass, do you bridge them or leave them open?
    • Anything else you can think of for a newbie that I am?

Any help is very much appreciated!!
    Martin

Pictures of my challenge at hand:
    The motor package I bought:

The wiring spiderweb:

Some close ups:

This whole electrical system is what scares me the most about using this motor.....it's just a bit more than I thought and need to do some reading/learning...

I also want to make sure I don't buy anything that's not absolutely necessary so I can spend more on suspension/chassis stuff.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-26-2010 at 05:05 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Any tips on 98-2000 GSXR600 Engine Electrical
    not sure I can help much but you have a service manual and thats good. I had a suzuki tl 1000 motor, wiring harness and radiator for a earlier project never finished. I was told that the computer was key coded to the ignition switch and I would probubly have to get a ignition switch and computer off of another tl to make it work. I don't know if it was true but you may want to see if yours is that way. Also since your motor came from a recked bike it's probubly fine as far as running goes. I gravity fed my 600 to get it running (fuel pump not working) and a friend says you can buy a self reg small universal fuel pump- 7/8psi for around $40 at parts store... I'm talking to him tomorrow about it... might work for me- / your motor also.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    • Do you need the speedometer/guage cluster to run this motor?
    • Do you need a fuel pump or can it be gravity fed?
    • Can I bypass the ignition switch with some basic toggle switch/push buttons?
    • Sidestand and Clutch Lever position switch. To bypass, do you bridge them or leave them open?
    • Anything else you can think of for a newbie that I am?

Any help is very much appreciated!!
    Martin
    * Gauge cluster not needed to run.
    * Needs fuel pump.
    * To bypass ignition switch you can put in a toggle but you will also need to add a resistor to satisfy the anti theft circuit.
    * Side stand can be jumpered.
    * Clutch needs to be jumpered in order to crank but on some ECU's it should then be opened again to get the full rich fuel map.

Since you have the manual you can look at the wiring diagram and it should be pretty easy to figure everything out. Just go one circuit at a time.
    Last edited by rowycoracing; 02-28-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typo

4. Collapse Details
    is this site fantastic or what! wish i had known about it when I was building my first buggy.... I would of finished it.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys!!

I'm copying everything down and have also copied the info in the stickies.

What about the stator/regulator? Would you think any year model would work? Seems these older 97-00 regulators are a bit harder to find and more expensive where I can find loads of 2001+ regulators for cheap.

Thanks for the tips on the fuel pump, that seems to be another pricey little item. Maybe something like this would even work?
    Gas/Diesel Square Fuel Pump w/kit 12v 4.5-7psi 32 GPH : eBay Motors (item 140386259558 end time Mar-04-10 03:53:45 PST)

I've got the wiring harness layed out and ready for some soldering action!...

6. Collapse Details
    that fuel pump looks just like how he described it to me. I'm sure thats what I will use, see no reason why it wouldn't work. starting to look like your 600 may be the motor to use in your buggy after all.

7. Collapse Details
    uh, what fuel pressure does the engine require?

My 'Busa takes 43. Why would this take less?

8. Collapse Details
    I just realized that your post title says 98-2000 GSXR. I was thinking 2008 (Doh!). So your engine is carbureted instead of fuel injected then? If fuel injected then it needs 45 psi or so fuel pressure at the fuel rail but if carbureted then 4.5 psi will do. Also if carbureted then the fuel map comment doesn't apply. I'll read closer next time!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rowycoracing View Post
    I just realized that your post title says 98-2000 GSXR. I was thinking 2008 (Doh!). So your engine is carbureted instead of fuel injected then? If fuel injected then it needs 45 psi or so fuel pressure at the fuel rail but if carbureted then 4.5 psi will do. Also if carbureted then the fuel map comment doesn't apply. I'll read closer next time!
    It's a carbed 98-2000 model. From what I can tell they switched the 600 over to fuel injected in 2001. So, I've got carbs... If you have any other pump type suggestions, let me know. I just figured on running some sort of tank with an inline pump rather than messing around with and in-tank pump.

Yeah, I'm also still on the fence between motors. Figured I wouldn't be happy letting the 600 sit unless I gave it an honest effort. I'm moving forward with everything short of the engine cage area so I can go either way though until I make the final decision.

After staring enough at the wiring diagram and talking with you guys, I'm slowly feeling more confident that I can make it work. I did check the tranny out and it seems to shift smoothly through the gears and also seems to turn over cranking on the drive shaft in 6th...so I'm feeling more that the motor should actually run if I can make it through the wiring.

10. Collapse Details
    I hate to be wishy washy but in your case i have jumped to the other side of the fence. I believe you can get this motor sorted out and using it will save your bike also. Fact is you got a hell of a buggy started and it deserves max power.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast