Thread: Reverse?

1. Collapse Details
    Reverse?
    Hi I am building a buggy for the first time, I have a CBR 600 RR motor that will be in the rear, I was wondering if anybody knows how I would add reverse?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Reverse?
    Welcome to the site.

Reverse is seldom easy or cheap to add but here are some ways some have done it.

An RPM Tranny will set you back about $1500 or so but its nice and compact and its got narrow mounting for the cv's already on it. It also looks pretty good if you care about that. A Jeffco is nice to but $2500. For a 600cc motor an RPM would be fine. Jeffcos are needed for high end Hayabusa motors power.

An other way is this. A little work but easier on the pocket book. Multiple forward ranges and reverse. No need to build a rear spool. A few more pounds of weight but all in all a good trade off if on a budget.

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/welco...ce-oregon.html

Then there is the electric starter reverse. Some people put the ring gear right on the rear spool but its down where it can get damaged as they usually stick thru the bottom of the chassis like the big sprockets do on direct chain drive buggies.

I like this setup below better. You get some gear reduction in the chain and its up out of the way some. Myself I would either run a massive center chain or double chains to deal with the torque there. Also it would be pretty easy to enclose this chain inside a sealed housing and oil bath it. I would try to put the top sprocket back as far as possible too for the longest primary drive chain.

Dunno if thats the answers your looking for. If you got a better or different way we like new ideas. Bill
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    I have a feeling that the RPM is stronger than the Jeffco based on our experiences thus far. The next time we break one of the Jeffco's I will take it apart and compare the internals, gear size etc. The Jeffco is phyiscally twice as big and twice the weight but it has to house a diff which makes it that way. The Jeffco is prettier though since it is all billet housing. The RPM has big gears inside a small unit and has no problem with busa/14 power. Mostly though, it comes down to if you want a diff or no diff.

4. Collapse Details
    couldnt you use a starter/genorater and have it on the chain drive

5. Collapse Details
    what kins of starter do you use foe ehat your talking about V8 ?

6. Collapse Details
    Any good high torque starter. The Chrysler units tend to be gear reduction starters so they tend to make more torque. Or you can buy a trick hi torque one from Summit or whatever your fav racing company is. But they cost more.

Those starter generators do not like a lot of RPMS. Might work on a slow machine but I would not even consider it on a unit with a hi RPM bike unit (or hi po sled setup) Plus it would need to be geared deeper. They never did seem to turn the motors over as well as a dedicated starter. At least not the ones I have seen when I was younger.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

7. Collapse Details
    I was woundering if someone could post some more pics of this set up. I dunno if im retarded or what but i would like to see the complete set up, where the drive chain connects to the rear end and where the reverse connects and it explained a little more please. lol THANKS
    Last edited by mwm345; 09-21-2009 at 02:29 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Here's a picture that I saved that Yoshi had posted of one of his cars w/ reverse. This is a very clean implementation and shows a nice way to do it.