Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Peter D. Air Cleaner Assembly (04-05 R1)
    Ok, so i received my 04-05 R1 air cleaner setup from Peter D. Motorsports.

Peter D Motorsports - Parts Catalog

Unfortunately i went to install it today around 5:30pm and something just doesnt seem right. There were no instructions or hardware so i took an educated guess of how it goes together, seeing as that they were already closed and it seemed pretty basic.

I soon realized you can not run the cold start thermostat or whatever that valve is that acts as a choke when the coolant temperature is cold. It contacts the filter base plate. So i removed it.

Next i basically sandwiched the foam spacer between the throttle body and the base plate. Bolted it down with some longer 5mm hardware and i figured all is well. Then i took a flashlight and you can see various air gaps between the base plate and the top of the foam adapter. The base plate just seems to thin and flimsy to properly seal with only 3 poorly positioned bolts (not their fault where the throttle body bolts are)

So I am wondering, do i need to use silicone to seal the adaptor plate to the foam spacer, or whats the deal? It would be nice for $230 to have some machined venturies and some o-ring grooves machined into these pieces for a tight seal. The spacer is sloppy and you need to line it up with the throttle body passages by eyesight, whereas the stock venturies snap into place with a very smooth transition all the way past the butterflies.

Someone please tell me they forgot some pieces or i am missing something simple.
    Last edited by ghettosled; 01-23-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    Race Proven Motors, Inc
    Performance Fabrication and CNC Machining

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Peter D. Air Cleaner Assembly (04-05 R1)
    Mike,
    Have you seen what Stetler is useing on his? I think his is an 07'. Rory

3. Collapse Details
    yeh it looks like a hybrid setup using the bottom half of the stock air box. I dont have room for something like that. The top of the Peter D. filter sits about 1" under my roll cage.
    Race Proven Motors, Inc

4. Collapse Details
    you're suppose to use a silicone glue to attach the boots to the base plate, then you use a film of grease between the base plate and where the foam touches...
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

5. Collapse Details
    Well today i used some "Right Stuff" silicone (next best thing since sliced bread) and bonded the foam spacer to the sheetmetal base plate.. Hopefully tomorrow it will be all dry and good to go.

So Yoshi, you are claiming to take the stock plastic venturies and put them on the top side of the sheetmetal base plate?? I would love to see a pic of this, b/c when i tried that it was definately not looking correct. Maybe if you cut them all up, so you can push each one down separately and make them slide through the foam spacer, but i dont think it is possible. They only go in maybe 1/2" into the 2" spacer.
    Race Proven Motors, Inc

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosled View Post
    Well today i used some "Right Stuff" silicone (next best thing since sliced bread) and bonded the foam spacer to the sheetmetal base plate.. Hopefully tomorrow it will be all dry and good to go.

So Yoshi, you are claiming to take the stock plastic venturies and put them on the top side of the sheetmetal base plate?? I would love to see a pic of this, b/c when i tried that it was definately not looking correct. Maybe if you cut them all up, so you can push each one down separately and make them slide through the foam spacer, but i dont think it is possible. They only go in maybe 1/2" into the 2" spacer.
    I hope by silicone you mean grease, cause you don't wanna glue the filter to the base plate, you have to take it off to clean it every trip.
    918-521-3736

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosled View Post

I soon realized you can not run the cold start thermostat or whatever that valve is that acts as a choke when the coolant temperature is cold. It contacts the filter base plate. So i removed it.
    The term your looking for is idle advance, and I think you've done something wrong, cause there's no reason to remove it....
    918-521-3736

8. Collapse Details
    why do I have the feeling you didn't take the rubber boots out of the airbox and install them in the base plate first?....
    918-521-3736

9. Collapse Details
    my motor is an 05 and there are no rubber boots on the top of the throttle bodies (atleast to my knowledge) There are these things which snugly press into the runners, and the air box goes on top of them.

Last edited by ghettosled; 01-25-2009 at 10:43 PM.
    Race Proven Motors, Inc

10. Collapse Details
    I tried to install them into the base plate but have this problem. Look close and you will see there is a huge gap on the outside of the circles, but the inside doesnt even fit.. kinda like the center to center distance of the holes is off.

Race Proven Motors, Inc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast