Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Making a Buggy Street legal
    Does anyone have detailed info on what is needed to make a buggy street legal? I'm not looking to rip down the highway or anything. I have trails five mins from my house,and it would be awesome to just hop it the buggy and drive.

I'm guessing, DOT tires, headlights, turn signals, brake lights, and a horn. I'm wondering if I need fenders and bumpers...

thanks,

Clay Watson
    Kustom Kar Audio
    Boulder,CO
    alt.6000'

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Making a Buggy Street legal
    Every state is different, you will have to check with your state DMV or DOT.
    In Washington state we can't drive anything on the road unless it was made to drive on the street's, no matter how much you try to make it legal.

Bob

3. Collapse Details
    I've been looking for Colorado rules. they talk about custom builds and kit cars, but I can seem to find info on a DOT list for the cars..

Clay Watson
    Kustom Kar Audio
    Boulder,CO
    alt.6000'

4. Collapse Details
    Acutally Bob that is not accurate unless you mean that it must comply with certain requirements thus making it street legal.

Rowycoracing made his ST2 street legal and I'm going to do the same with one of my cars. It gets licensed as a fair weather vehicle and requires DOT rubber, 4 wheel brakes, DOT lights and turn signals. It does not require fenders. It does not require a windshield in Washington if you use goggles. It can't be driven at night or in inclement weather.

In Oregon it is much the same except there you must have a windshiled wiper - even if you don't have a windshield.

If my car had held up this year it would have been street legal. My goal was to drive to Portland International Raceway on summer Wednesdays for the Beaches Restaraunt sponsored get togethers. It would be fun to drive down I5, cross the river, drive through the gate and park next to the trailered stuff.

Colorado may have similar requirements or it may be impossible.
    Last edited by Gene; 10-18-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spllng

5. Collapse Details
    reverse??

6. Collapse Details
    Not required in Washington. Can't say about elsewhere. Parking brake might be needed and it probably must be separate from the hydraulic foot system.

7. Collapse Details
    Arizona is easy horn, license plate light and a mirror mounted somewhere to see behind you is all you need. Kar Audio Guy what trails do you have by you in boulder that you can drive an off road car on. Just curious I used to live in the area and might go back someday. Thanks and good luck.

8. Collapse Details
    west magnolia in nederland, super fast on downhill bikes (45mph+) a bit slower in a buggy. the trails are only about 8 to 10 feet wide. still fun.

then LeftHand canyon is near my house and shop. twisty smooth fire road for the first 10 mins then slightly rock for another 10mins then rocky as hell the rest of the way up. riding the moto up is a little bit of work. It's hard not to want to back off in bits. It takes me about 1.5 hours to walk to the top pushing my 40lbs DownHill bike, and only about 12 mins to get down some of the gnarly rock garden you've ever seen. massive 4X4 rigs crowl up the stuff I fly down.

Clay Watson
    Kustom Kar Audio
    Boulder,CO
    alt.6000'

9. Collapse Details
    the photo on my sig is up at west mag, alt there is around 12800'

Clay Watson
    Kustom Kar Audio
    Boulder,CO
    alt.6000'

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bc124 View Post
    Arizona is easy horn, license plate light and a mirror mounted somewhere to see behind you is all you need. Kar Audio Guy what trails do you have by you in boulder that you can drive an off road car on. Just curious I used to live in the area and might go back someday. Thanks and good luck.
    Hey, my brother lives in AZ. I should bring the buggy down there get it licensed, hit up glamis for a while, then bring it back....
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast