Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Newb needs plans
    Iíve been looking at purchasing a set of plans for a 2 seater as well as a 1 seater buggy. I have never built a buggy before, but I would like to build one rather than buy one. I have been reading about the different plans and designs, but I need an actual first hand experience on whoís used more than one plan. I am NOT looking for one product or design to be bashed, or improved. I am looking for an actual comparison of what design was more effective, clear instructions, does not need major improvements, ease of build and design. I have fab skills and can easily read and interpret blueprints, so dimensions and drawings are no big problem.

I have
    TIG, MIG, Oxy fuel welding equipment
    Chop saw
    Plasma cutter
    Drill press
    Cheap pipe kinker
    Many other various tools

I have quick and easy access to
    Lathe
    Parallel press
    Arbor and hydraulic presses ranging from 1 ton to 100 ton

I can get access to
    Water jetting
    CNC machining
    Brake press
    Vertical and horizontal Milling machine
    Pipe bender

I will be fabbing / purchasing
    Tube notcher
    Pipe benter
    Other tools as needed

While I am trying to keep my build cost effective, I can understand the need to be more spendy in certain aspects of the build. What I am looking for is not necessarily the BEST set of plans, but some damn good ones. I want independent suspension, and I will be beating the life out of these things. The less dependent on one supplier would also be a bonus.

Iíve looked at
    Buggy innovations
    Badlands buggy
    Rorty designs

The Edge
    Desert carts

Is seems that no one has any complaints about the Rorty designs, but is it really worth the extra $$$, remember that I am looking for 2 sets of plans. Perhaps, they will cut a deal for multiple designs???
    Otherwise I was looking at at set of ST3 plans from badlands and the cheetah plans from Buggy innovations

Thanks
    Kyle

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Newb needs plans
    Well, IMO,I wouldn't not use rortys plans, the plans are very detailed, but they use a lot of laser cut parts, Which he does not supply dxf files for, you have to buy them parts from a certain person, or reverse engineer them.. there are very few of these cars actually built, and it seems some guys have had material issues, to thin, cant get parts called out, etc etc...These issues may be worked out, I own the r-6 plans, and a proof copy of the r-11 plans, I have also reviewed the r-16 plans as well.. I feel there is a substantial amount of edge cars built, even in Australia, most of what you see, if not all are edge buggies, The edge guy builds his cars before he sells plans, Rorty racing does not do this currently....Edge cars are also very economically designed as well...Excellent place for a first timer to start, IMO...

For full discretion, Rorty racing and myself do not associate with one another for reasons not needing to carry on to this forum any longer... I dont believe this has any effects on the truth behind my statement above...

I edited this post for the sake of the community...
    Last edited by Bugpac; 09-02-2008 at 08:46 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Now, now bug..... Edge plans are ok but no 2 seater and only the Barracuda has double front a-arms. Rorty puts a lot of time and years of experience into his plans. They are not very aesthetically pleasing cars, ie: some think they are butt ugly but they work well. You also get great support from Bob who is just an email away.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugpac View Post
    Well, IMO,I wouldn't have rortys plans used to wipe my bung, there are very few built and are just a drawing,with speculation everything will work out, If you want something that is proven in the field numerous times,and proven by the guy drawing them specifically, look at edge plans...
    Why the hell did Bob decide to use other suppliers than you? I don't get it! You are such a classy guy.

5. Collapse Details
    I stand by my initial post, I'm editing as it was not intended to be a poo fest....
    Last edited by Bugpac; 08-29-2008 at 07:57 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Hmmmmmmm.........
    Last edited by masterfabr; 08-28-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Because I wanted to.Why the hell else?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugpac View Post
    Did i say anything that is inaccurate? I can have an opinion just like you..Why did you sell your car off after putting thousands of miles on it?
    I needed cash to build a shop at our new place and to finance a wedding. Why did a DIYer like yourself buy a Drakart if the edge car is so fawkin sweet?

I think it's comical that your opinion went 180 on Rorty's plans after your falling out. Now your gung ho on the Edge plans?

I am now using my time to design build my own car for self gratification if you're wondering why I am not building another R16. If I didn't have time or a patient wife, I would just build another R16 because it is BY FAR the nicest set of 2 seat midi plans on the market. I think I was the first to complete one and I only had a couple real minor fixes. These buggies are not rocket science, just because fewer of one are built does not discredit it. Do you think the new Herbst trucks are crap too? No one has built one of those before. Your logic and statement reeks of sole retaliation.

8. Collapse Details
    I stand by my initial post, I'm editing as it was not intended to be a poo fest....
    Last edited by Bugpac; 08-29-2008 at 07:57 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    For the record Pants, I have more than one set of plans....
    Last edited by Bugpac; 08-29-2008 at 07:58 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Personal attack on you? You turned questionns on me about my car but you consider questions about yours a attack? WTF?

As far as answering your question regarding the inaccuracies of your initial post.

It is far from accurate. The plans are well thought out and lack VERY little. A couple small modifications and the car is solid (talking about the R16). What do you find wrong with the design?

Explain how the edge cars are better. You prefer cars using the frame as the bumpstop? You prefer that much camber gain? You're diggin that motion ratio on the front shocks? Where are you coming from when you are stating this? If you are gonna make a statement like you did in the initial post, you better be able to back it up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast