Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What powerplant for go karts?
    Ok, basically, me and 8 of my buddies and their wives rented the local outdoor race track last night to race go karts. *They weren't the fastest things, about 55 mph, and didn't pull outta the corners as hard as I wanted, but they were pretty fun for a bone stock 5hp motor.

So, needless to say, renting a track to race go karts for 20 min. was enough to get us hooked, and i'm now gonna build some race go karts for us. *One of my buddies is my machinist for my sandrails, so he is gonna handle the machine work, i'm gonna build a fixture and build the frames, the other guys are gonna throw down for the motors, wheels, and other odds and end stuff. *So basically, i'm gonna be out my time and material for the chassis, which is fine cause it won't cost me much to do to end up with a couple karts for me and the wife. *

My question is this, I have no idea about the little motors, we wanna keep the karts equal, so we're debating on a 10 or 16 hp powerplant, at least twice what we had last night, what powerplants and brands are good, how do the centrifugal clutches work, and where can I locate them? *Any and all info pertaining to the smaller motors would be appreciated. I found 16 hp motors, brand new on ebay, for under $250, the cheaper the better. We're wanting good cheap fun, and if the kart comes out as cool as I think it will with the aluminum work and frame design, I will start selling them so i can afford to race my buddies and have it not cost me anything, plus I could build 5 or 6 of my own so my friends that don't have one can race with us.

We spent $30 for 20 min. of racing in their karts last night, but you can ride the track for the entire day in your own kart for $25.00, so you can see why I want to build my own. 20 min. just wasn't enough time....

input??
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

2. Collapse Details
    Re: What powerplant for go karts?
    http://www.bondurantsuperkarts.com/kartspecs.php

http://www.mongoosekarts.com/engines.html

yoshi * 2 of my brother in laws raced karts (alcohol) incredible machines for what they were. I know that horizontal shaft lawn mower engines will work but not the same at all. I don't know why a 10 hp would still be cheap and alot more fun that what you raced the other night. I do know there are some low dollor torque converters out there for go carts, northern offers one but I think it is only for 8hp of less. I looked at those a while back for my daughters go carts. check out the sites above, might be some helpful info.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    You need one of these

5. Collapse Details
    wrong button...Dual RZ 500'S DRIVEN BY AN GUY AS OLD AS DIRT ALMOST as old as Kfab and MASTER *
    Last edited by renegadespec1; 05-21-2009 at 09:09 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    you definitely want a cvt, or torque converter as refered in the karting world, Look at 12 hp its still inexpensive....

7. Collapse Details
    kx500 motor with a rekluse thingy on it would be nice

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by renegadespec1\";p=\"50988
    wrong button...Dual RZ 500'S DRIVEN BY AN GUY AS OLD AS DIRT ALMOST as old as Kfab and MASTER *
    Funny spec! Very fuuuunnnnnnyyyyyy . *Man I want one of those things!!!!!! That is COOL!

9. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by masterfabr\";p=\"50996
    Funny spec! Very fuuuunnnnnnyyyyyy .
    Yea, what he said! *

10. Collapse Details
    He's taller than both of them put together too!

[smilie=rolleyes.gif]

[smilie=icon_bolt.gif]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast