1. Collapse Details
    type III VW engine in buggy?
    has anyone ever seen a type III VW engine in a buggy. not exactly a mini buggy, but, i have a line on an old VW squareback with an extra parts car that is 99% complete. *i was thinking of using the parts car and just using the engine and trans(auto, wife cant drive a stick) and build a rail. *can anyone guide me to the best place to find out if the type III engine and tranny would work?
    thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Re: type III VW engine in buggy?
    A type3 is fine for a rail but the one thing you gota remember is that the motor is not supported the same as a bug.On a bug your engine is basicly mounted and supported off the back,which means the motor hangs theres once its bolted up to the tranny,on a type3 you're going to have a mustache bar(depending on the year)the earlier ones have a front mount *which doesnt make the type3 very sought after for these applications but it doesnt mean that it cant be done you would just have to make a couple extra mounts for the motor.Depending on the year of the square the engine may be single port,dual port,carbed or fuel injected,I would go with the dual port,carbed motor and if the motors pretty much stock with only a few mods I would stick with the stock Solex carbs,as long as the throttle body shafts are good.I just noticed that you said its an auto which means its going to be a 69 or later model which will have cvs instead of the swing axle and if your using an auto tranny I would keep the engine stock,the autos were basicly built to handle the power of a stock motor and not much more and besides if you went with a big cam it would mess up the vacumn for the tranny and possibly cause some shifting problems. Hope this helps alittle.

* * * * * * * Tom

3. Collapse Details
    tom, thanks for the insight. *the car in question is a parts car which is about 99% complete. it is a 71, auto, with stock FI. but, i was going to change over to dual carbs. *i dont like the vw/porsche FI. *too many fires. *also, i cant decide if i want the manx style or rail style. *i'll need a totally different frame, either way. *but it will have to be street legal also. *should i use trailing arms with the cv or a arms. with a rail frame, i can have a 'mustache' bar welded into the frame. *i'm not planning on doing any major duning, live in east tenn here, but i would want to take it off road in the woods and mtns. *so, at least some decent power would be needed. *or, i could trade/sell the whole thing and build a m/c powered rails.
    thanks again.
    ben

4. Collapse Details
    if it was me, i would buy a chasis, berrien buggy etc, and put that together, but again if it were me, i would just make a baja out of the squareback....

5. Collapse Details
    Those auto trannys will take a lot of abuse. The main problem is running a big enough cooler to get rid of the heat. One of the pre-runner buggys I worked on had a 4.3 vortec bolted to one. Tranny never went out.

Jeff Fields does great work on them

6. Collapse Details
    I wasnt aware that Jeff Fields actually worked on or built up type3 automatics,I wouldnt think there would be any call for it since you could upgrade to a vanagan auto.I blew out 3 type3 autos with a mildly built motor,I stripped out the torque converter most of the time.If you have a factory VW service manual for the type3 auto tranny it does state in there that the tranny built to handle the factory hp rating and not much more than that.

7. Collapse Details
    hmmm, *interesting idea about making a baja out of it. kinda mini baja wagon. *do they make lift kits for them or could i fabricate something? *anyway, engine is stock, but if i put dual carbs and a rat tail header,it shouldnt make it too much HP for the tranny. *thanks guys, *some great ideas. i appreciate it. * , but keep the ideas coming.

8. Collapse Details
    Ive actually done a squareback baja before,the front is easy to raise and we did a early bus tranny with redo boxes and we were able to get the square pretty high in the air.I had a blast with that car.