Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rules to get street legal in WA
    Have any of you in Washington gone to the effort to make your rig street legal? I am toying with the idea of trying to license my second build not for street (pavement) use but so that I can legally ride it on forest service roads, DNR roads etc. All of that land is closed to ATV tagged vehicles up here now. So I am looking for experience on what it takes to make it street legal. I have taken my #1 build through the State Patrol inspectioon process to get it assigned a title, VIN number and ATV tags so I am familiar with going that far. Any lessons learned from someone who has been further through the process would be appreciated. Tim

2. Collapse Details
    Here in CA they have the required info on the DMV's web site.

3. Collapse Details
    Thx for th ehelp. The inspections here are done by the State Patrol so I assumed they had the rules but I couldn't find anything on line other than specs for the lights for home built utility trailers. After reading your note I called the DMV this morning and they said they would send me info. This may be an exercise in futility but we'll see... Tim

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah...I haven't finished getting the offroad Green Stickers for my buggies yet, but I have to go to the DMV, then CHP, then back to the DMV. I got the first part done. I'm sure with a street-legal, that CHP part would be duplicated several times. They have more rules to go on the street...

5. Collapse Details
    Success. :>)

6. Collapse Details
    O/K now you have me interested, I also live in Washington (auburn) and would love to make mine legal. Do you have a list of the hoops you had to jump thru, hassles, any special requirments. Contacts, requirments, RCW's, etc..... It sure would be nice to run on the forest service roads without any worries.

7. Collapse Details
    I called the DMV and they sent some rules for home built hot rods. I followed those. Things like turn signals, headlights, tail lights, brake lights (including a third upper light ... all lights DOT labled on the lense), wind screen with wiper (manual wiper is OK), horn, seat belts, side mirrors etc. Then make an appointment and get the State Patrol inspection. It is not a safety inspection, rather mostly a screening for stolen parts so you have to have proper receipts for all major components, no ebay receipts accepted period, traceable VIN numbers for used parts like engines. Then take the State Patrol paperwork back to the DMv again and do more paperwork to get a title, registration, plates etc. Watch out there, they charge you sales tax based on their estimated value for the vehicle which surprised me. All in all a bit of a hassle organizing the receipts for everything and running back and forth from the DMV to the State Patrol and back to the DMV ... but not too hard. Just time consuming. Tim

8. Collapse Details
    Street Legal Tax Ripoff
    Tim,
    First, congratulations on making your rig street legal, it would be fun to roll into town or some car meet.

As I first read the thread I thought about organizing receipts, chain of custody for VIN, etc. and it just seemed too difficult, especially for a manufactured car.

Add to that the insult of Washington ignoring all the sales tax already paid for components and charging you sales tax on the assembled vehicle is so, well, Washingtonian.

Nothing like paying twice, and if you live in King County - ouch! (for other forum members Washington voters passed a registration law a few years back requiing the state to charge only $35 for tabs. Since then some counties have imposed local fees for to fund light rail, etc. Fees in those counties can be hundreds of dollars, like most states)
    Gene

9. Collapse Details
    Thank you,

Do you have a # for the DMV or a list of the requirements they gave you that you can post, or a link. I am guessing that my first step would be aquiring a vin #. Do you know the process for the reciepts on the car as I purchased mine used and assembled and would have no way of getting any reciepts other than a bill of sale, would that suffice

10. Collapse Details
    The State Patrol inspection is where you get the VIN assigned. Actually they told me I could stamp one on the frame myself or for $5 they make one and then mount a permanent label on your frame. I just had them do it for both of my builds (#1 I just got a VIN, title and ORV tags, #2 I got licensed). I do not know how they would handle a buggy that was purchased used but with no title -- I assume that is what you mean. If you look on the WSP web site there is a spot where they talk about acceptable paperwork and there it mentions having a signed and notarized bill of sale that lists engine serial numbers etc. (www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/vinspect.htm). Maybe that would work OK? Their whole focus was looking for stolen parts and they wanted to see paperwork that traced any used parts all the way back to the VIN of the vehicle it originally came off of. The officer actaully told me that he really didn't care much about the turn signals, mirrors, fenders etc. because if that stuff was wrong I'd just get pulled over. He said he was looking for stolen parts, or more accurately proof that they were not stolen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast