Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Something a little different to shake things up.
    So a couple years ago a good friend of mine talked about re doing a 1949 Ford Shoebox that his grandpa had bought in 1950 while traveling from Michigan to Wisconsin while he was in the Army. I said sure, let's take a peek. WOW.. It took me a while to commit to it after seeing it.
    At first glance, it looks pretty decent, as everything was on the car!

He pulled it out of the field that it sat in for over 10 years and put it in a barn to take the engine and trans out.

Looking at it, there is some rust, but when I tried to open he passenger door, the door stuck to the striker and literally the whole side of the car tried to open too. There was little to none holding the side of the car to the floor! It was then where I knew I had a LONG road ahead of me.
    It was a matter of time to where the car was going to fold in half.
    OK, onto the trailer and into my garage.

After a while, I ordered some parts as well as getting some original photos of the car when it was a couple years old.
    Note the Buick fender ports that his Grandpa put on the car. Looks pretty cool.

Well, tomorrow we will look inside and see what we need to do so we can get this project started.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Something a little different to shake things up.
    Looks like a heck of a project!

3. Collapse Details
    That’s awesome! I have done several projects like that and although a ton of work they are very rewarding when complete. Right now I have a ‘55 F100, a ‘49 F1 and a ‘48 Harley going as winter projects. All stuff that my father in law stashed away. Good luck with the shoebox. Have fun with it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Collapse Details
    Heck yeah!!
    PLEASE tell me that both doors have that American logo on both doors!!

Nice newer C-10 front clip too.

The 49 is in fact back at the owners garage for seam sealing and interior paint.
    This may be the worlds fastest 49 Ford restore, ever. LOL

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

5. Collapse Details
    It’s amazing how good some look from the outside but once you look a little deeper it’s not so good. Got one on the go myself, a 62 f 100 swb unibody. Sorry can’t seem to upload pics

6. Collapse Details
    Whaaaaat? New sheetmetal patch panels, isn't that cheating?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    I agree. ; ) mostly cause I can’t get them for mine, well I could but I can’t afford them, shipping cost twice what the parts were plus the exchange

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fz bullet View Post
    It’s amazing how good some look from the outside but once you look a little deeper it’s not so good. Got one on the go myself, a 62 f 100 swb unibody. Sorry can’t seem to upload pics
    Try using IMGUR to upload.

Copy and paste the BBC code to the body of the reply. This should work.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    KINDA? LOL. To make those panels is WAAAYYYY past my skill level. LOL.

Time is money, right?

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

10. Collapse Details
    OK, well here we go.
    I got the car up on jack stands to get the chassis well supported and level.
    First thing I had to do was get some support into the car so that I could do some pulling and pushing to get the doors to line up and close. What a PAIN!!! Since the rocker panels were shot, there was very little tying the A-pillar to the floor. I used 3/4" conduit welded across the car from kick panel to kick panel. I have a book called the big green book. This has assembly measurements that I can reference to get the proper measurements. SUPER handy when everything is floating around and not tied to anything. I then took ratchet straps from the new support and hooked them to the top of the B-pillar to then pull the bottom of the firewall rearward. This brought the doors back up to where they needed to be. I STILL had to push and pull, add more bracing to get the lower portion of the B-pillar to stay put. The entire center of the floor was really solid, so that's where my supports tied into. This process took several days.

Below are the front fenders. Typical spots for these Shoeboxes to rust. In reality, besides the rust, they are pretty straight!

Onto the task of cutting the old stuff out.
    Note the use of a metal shelf support screwed to the A-pillar, holding the rocker panel in place....sort of.

With something SO far gone, it is very hard to decide where to start! I thought about doing rockers, and then moving to the back of the car to get a solid perimeter and then work inward.
    That's easier said than done.
    Some scabbed together bracing on the passenger side B-pillar.

I decided to start at the bottom of the driver side A-pillar since the door lined up really good to the B-pillar in witch the door actually closed and latched REALLY good.
    I just started cutting and making templates.

Well now that I have something solid in there, lets build up a rocker panel and a body mount. I had to modify the stamped body mounts to line up with the rocker panel. I figure if the door lines up to the rocker panel, this has to match! Maybe the body was too low? Not sure, but after measuring all corners in relation to the chassis it was surprisingly close, so instead of lifting the ENTIRE body up to match the body mount i will section the body mounts to line up with the rocker panel lip. This will allow the floor to sit nice in this area.

With the re-pop panels, there is always trimming, notching, hammering to get things to fit. This threw me off SO BAD. The door/front fender gap continues into the rocker panel. Well as you can see, it doesn't. I contacted several people who have done these types of repairs and they all had to trim the rocker back to line the gaps up. I thought something was waaay off.

Keep in mind, I had to tack a support to the back of the rocker where it is to meet up with the lower B-pillar that isn't there. LOL This kept the door to rocker line nice and clean.

I went over to the passenger side and did that side in half the time, as i cut my teeth and knew all the things I had to do on the driver side. It is amazing that with just this added steel, how much strength there is and how things are starting to get nice and solid!

And the floor pan and firewall layout!!

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast