Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Something a little different to shake things up.
    flyin along on it! great car to do. my '61 mga--was about as crusty as that one-- still sits with the body on the elevated dolly I made and the frame acting as the repository for anything and everything buggy n jeep related. trunk floor was the last thing i made for it, 2012-ish. stare at it every day making plans to get going on it again.

2. Collapse Details
    My dad is a huge MG guy. He has a 53 MG-TD and a 78 MGB. Way cool little cars.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

3. Collapse Details
    Well here we go again.
    So where I left off, I cut a crap-ton out of the floor. The floor pans are in place and 80% welded.
    Now to re build the bottom of the b-pillar. This is where the rocker panel, floor, inner rocker panel and outer quarter panel tie into.

I found some really nice 3/4"x 3/4" x 3/4" 16 gauge channel. This stuff worked perfectly for this area!

At the same time, it was time to re build the floor section in this area too.

Nowhere near the desert.

4. Collapse Details
    Now, I had to get the wheel tubs in place to fit up the inner structure prior to the outer quarter panel. This was done by using boat trailer fenders! I extended them to fit up to the outer skin all within 1/2" or so. So I formed up a filler piece and used the shrinker to match up the radius of the fender.

Those tabs that hang down will be trimmed and attached to the inner structure, right at the inner rocker panel.

Not to shabby. Note that I built a small subframe in the back to support the steel and give me a place to actually work from.

Nowhere near the desert.

5. Collapse Details
    Awesome project.

6. Collapse Details
    Any updates?

7. Collapse Details
    So here is a cool update for the ole 49.
    Moving to the back of the car. I have the wheel tubs made and fit so now it's time to attach them to something. Since the trunk is completely gutted I decided to build a sub frame of sorts to give me something to attach steel to. I cut out all of the original body mount bolt hole locations and welded in a new plate with a nut welded on the back to give me something to bolt this sub-frame to. I built the sub-frame out of some 1"x " square tubing.
    As for the wheel tubs, I then bead rolled the inner panel to give it some rigidity as well as a cool look. Things actually fit up pretty well in there!

Now that these are fit in, I need to work out the wheel well structure that will tie into the outer sheet metal.
    This was a challenge. I took some formed angle and used the shrinker stretcher to make this piece. This will go in the inner lip of the new wheel well. It will be also a piece where the inner wheel well will be welded to.

This whole process took a lot of fitting, shaping, trimming, fitting, shaping. LOL The Klekos are a LIFESAVER for this process. This area really ties the rocker panels, the floor, wheel wells and the outer skin together. Things are getting nice and solid now.

Nowhere near the desert.

8. Collapse Details
    looking great!!!

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks IceFyre!

So the inner fenders are now solid and primed on the inside. This means it's time to trim and fit the new outer panels!
    I like to to a butt weld with little to no gap. A gap will give the sheet metal the ability to shrink together thus warping and pulling the metal. Another reason to do a butt weld is it is easier to move the metal around with a hammer and dolly. If you overlap the metal, there is 2 layers to move around.
    I initially hung the steel with klekos. Now I will do my final trimming and fitment. Once that is accomplished I will simply use the cut off wheel to cut through the new skin and the old skin, leaving a nice reveal to butt the steel together. With the sheet metal cleaned up I can do a nice hot tack weld to hold things together.

Back to the trunk area. I wanted to make a couple new pieces to tie the package tray to the inner wheel wells.

I also had to install a new tail pan. Look at those lines!!!
    Nowhere near the desert.

10. Collapse Details
    Wow beautiful work

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast