Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Something a little different to shake things up.
    Your forward progress makes me envious haha I need to get in the garage more

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
    Heck yeah!!
    PLEASE tell me that both doors have that American logo on both doors!!

Nice newer C-10 front clip too.

The 49 is in fact back at the owners garage for seam sealing and interior paint.
    This may be the worlds fastest 49 Ford restore, ever. LOL

Justin
    Nope some vandals painted a big peace sign over the logo on the passenger door with white paint. But I will keep it as is. Adds character I think. Nice progress on your project car already. Nice!

3. Collapse Details
    Holy smokes D'! You are a Trooper!

Im scared just looking at those pictures!

Nice job dude!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks fellas!!

Keep in mind, this project spanned from 10-31-2017 to the end of April 2018... I brought it to the garage in October 2016...LOL!!

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

5. Collapse Details
    OK, here is your daily dose of tetanus.

So the body mounts bolt directly to the frame with these 3/8" thick pieces of rubber to isolate things. Of course the bolts snapped off. I just drilled them out, welded a nut to the back of a washer and welded that all to the chassis. Good to go.

Here is the driver side toe board. Essentially it ties to the floor and goes up the firewall about a foot or so and ties into the bottom of the A-pillar, the front body mount and the floor pan. I had to notch out for the brake petal, clutch petal and the gas petal. The larger square on the left is for a piece I cut out of the stock floor. It is a cool inverted dome piece that holds the hi/low beam switch. I thought it would be cool to have that piece back in there. I had to also bead roll from that dish up the steel. This acted as a chase so to speak for the wires going to the switch. Kinda cool.

Here is the initial fitment of the passenger side floor pan and toe board.

Bead rolled the floor pans for a little strength. Klekos were my friends during this!!!!
    Nowhere near the desert.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
    Thanks fellas!!

Keep in mind, this project spanned from 10-31-2017 to the end of April 2018... I brought it to the garage in October 2016...LOL!!

Justin
    Ha yeah these projects have a way of doing that for sure. Floor repairs are looking good.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks Rowycoracing!

In addition to the floor, I couldn't help but to continue the new metal into the trans tunnel. This is an area that will be covered up with carpet, so I figured I would practice some bead roll designs.
    It's harder to do than it looks.
    I basically have the same measurements as the original trans tunnel, just a little more custom with the diamond pattern.

The upper trans tunnel unbolts for access to the clutch linkage as well as the bellhousing bolts. Imagine that, something simple to make mechanical work somewhat easy.
    The original one was kinda hacked up, but the top portion of the bolt in piece was in good shape, so that was re used.
    You know it's time to do some welding when you are out of Klekos. Every step I go, I double check that the doors close and latch. Another thing I noticed and maybe it's a mental thing, but seeing all the rusted metal is overwhelming. The cure is to just cut all the old stuff out. LOL

Nowhere near the desert.

8. Collapse Details
    Nice bead roll work. You gotta love that tool. Here are a couple of door cards and a cooling fan shroud that my son and I made (bead rolled) for the old ford truck. Keep posting the updates. Fun project to watch.

9. Collapse Details
    ^^^^^Those are freaking SWEET!!^^^^
    Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

10. Collapse Details
    Well, now that the front of the car is super solid with the doors opening and closing very nice, it's time to get the quarter panels fit up.
    This was not too bad to do. You just have to really think several steps ahead. I didn't really have much to reference to in regards to where the steel should fit up near the trunk. So I used the cool body line that these Shoebox Fords had as we ll as the tail light. The panels are stepped down near the seam to overlap the 2 panels. There are a lot of arguments in which way to do it. I prefer to butt weld the sheet metal. It makes it easier to hammer and dolly later to shrink or stretch the steel. Later on, I used a cut off wheel and cut through the new steel and the old steel. This gave me a perfect butt weld!
    For fitment purposes, I laid the panel up to the car several times using a couple Kleko's to be able to step back and look at things. The panels moved a couple time to get it juuuust right. After that, I klekoed them on so i could work on some of the inner sheet metal that ties into the outer steel to the inner steel. Later on, I still had to re shape the panel where it rolled under to meet up with the rocker panels, but overall they fit very well.

After I saw all the new steel, I was sick of seeing rust, so while the garage was dirty, I did some cutting...and cutting....and cutting.

WOW, looks better already!

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2