Thread: Build Timeline

1. Collapse Details
    Build Timeline
    Hello everyone. Quick question:

If you:
    • Have the buggy designed down to the finest detail
    • Have purchased all of the laser cut parts, tubing, and off the shelf items
    • Everything is ready to be fab'd/assembled.

How long would it take to build one of these buggies?

Being a mechanical engineer, I'm hesitant to start building until I have all the details planned. I don't want to start building a cage/suspension and run into something that causes me to move pivot points or stretch the wheelbase.

I know that a lot of these projects get 1/2 way and are never finish. Other projects take years to complete. What is it about these projects that took longer than expected for you? Financial? Lack of free time? It got sick of working on it and you needed a break?

Just trying to gauge what is realistic.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Build Timeline
    I also realize there is no way to plan for everything and something will inevitably change. But if I design around parts that are already purchased, it should help prevent some of the last minute changes.

3. Collapse Details
    Can you share some of the design details for us to review? It is always a good thing to have take a peek. We may see some things that may have been missed.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Ah, another Mech E - forget being so anal about everything and expecting it to go together like a Lego set. I know that's what I've always wanted during my builds and, well... (you end up making the cage three times) Forget about trying to be the perfect engineer. I'm one too and that little diploma that says I know what I'm doing (at least on paper) is pretty much just something to hang on the wall.

The first 80% of the build (basically putting all the metal stuff together) takes 20% of the time and the last 20% (wires, plumbing, detail crap) takes 80% of the time.

It's also going to depend on how detailed you are on things. If you go with off the shelf parts like pedals and the likes, that saves a lot of time too. I've added countless hours (more like days) to my build but that's because I stand in front of the mill/lathe knocking out stuff that I could just go buy - but what's the fun in that???

IF you have it all ready to go, all the parts laser cut, stuff purchased and on the shelf, blah, blah, giving yourself a year from start to being able to drive it onto the trailer, fully painted and ready to ride is a pretty decent time frame.

The seasons can play into this too. For example I can't get out and play right now - it was 113 yesterday - so I'll dedicate much of my summer time to being in the shop and working on the Mini-Raptor. It'd be the opposite if I still lived in Hell (Ohio) where I'd be stuck inside for 5 months because of shitty weather.

5. Collapse Details
    How long is a really big question. I usually take only a couple weeks for big projects, but k-fab’s been working on his mini-raptor for like 7 years. How nice you want it to look, how long you want it to last, and how much you care about details...so much can go into a projects time to completion. The only right answer is “as long as it takes”.

6. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    For me, the key is self-motivation. If you're the type of person who typically finishes projects, then you'll get it finished, no matter how long it takes. It sounds like you want to "get' er done" and not drag it out. If that's the case, then you need to make sure that you can set aside the time to work on it. As K-fab explained, it will take longer than you probably imagine. Just don't get discouraged if it doesn't come together like magic.

My two-seater has been a work-in-progress for 5-6 years, but I've also worked on many, many other projects in the interim. All of them got finished. The two-seater is taking longer because I'm not working off a set of plans, so everything gets rebuilt 2-3 times before it matches what I want. Plus, it's always my number two priority. I tend to work on it when I have available time, rather than making it a focus to get it done in a specific timeframe.

7. Collapse Details
    These are all good things to take into consideration. I like the "as long as it takes" mentality, because it's true.

I'm still early in the design process, but I have the cage about 75% and the front suspension pretty close. I just need to buy a rack and pinion to finish up the front.

Then I'll get some CV joints and hubs to start playing around with for the rear suspension.

Once I get the rear done, I'll post up some screenshots of the design.

The goal for a build timeline would be 6 months to a year. Sounds like this might be reasonable depending on how many off the shelf items are used.