1. Collapse Details
    Rear end drive and suspension cost.
    So I'm starting to shop for parts for a buggy build. It's going to be a small (kid size) 2 seater. I'm going to skip building the a-arms and use a 4 wheeler as a donor. I think I have it built in my head, but still going back and forth on the rear suspension. Do I use the swing arm and axle from the 4 wheeler or an independent rear end? I'd like to use the IRS and there are a couple sport 4 wheelers with IRS that I could use, but they come at a premium price. Can anyone give me a ballpark on cost to buy parts to put an independent rear end together? I have seen the 4 wheeler with IRS for a couple grand. That would give me all the suspension and a motor. But I've also found a couple solid axle 4 wheelers for $400 and less (basically parts bikes) that I can get, and build a IRS.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Rear end drive and suspension cost.
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Part of the answer involves cost. How much money do you have to throw at this project 2-3 grand?

My opinion? I would build a kids two-seater with a swing arm setup. One of the challenges with a first-time build is just getting the project finished. A swing-arm is easy to design and build and you'll have your buggy out of the garage and out on the trails much quicker.

Keep in mind, however, that if you decide later that you want IRS, you can always rebuild it. My buggy has been rebuilt 3-4 times already to add a new setup or change features. If I tried to tackle my current setup on the first try, there's no guarantee that I would have finished it.

3. Collapse Details
    I was originally thinking that I could finish it somewhere between $2000 and $2500. But that was before I started playing around with rear suspension. If I try the IRS, I'll have that in the donor alone. Originally I was going to do ATV front suspension and just weld the ATV rear carrier to the frame and use that ATV axle. But like everything else I start, I always "upgrade".

This is the rough draft I'm playing with using the swingarm rather than the IRS.buggie.pdf

4. Collapse Details
    think about the size of what you're building and how long it will take them to outgrow it. modded an old clapped out mini kiddy buggy in the same manner as you're thinking. 90cc quad a-arms up front, quad swingarm welded to the underside of a yard kart engine platform/swingarm out the back. got 6 years out of it with one "upsize" of it along the way. that build was in the $500 range.

5. Collapse Details
    Considering your budget I think you would be better off looking for a chinese buggy and running that. You'll gain a lot of experience and you'll know how you want to use the buggy and what really needs to be improved. This is something you're going to replace whether you build it or buy one, but building one as your first go you'll make all your mistakes in construction and not really be able to learn from it...unless you're going to go off of some established plans (very few builds are really going to let you get by on <$2500).

You can find Goka buggies like the GK01 and GK28 all over the place for a couple hundred dollars, and the bigger/more capable GK13's and GK06's for a little more...you can buy a pretty nice 13 or 06 for way under $2k. I would suggest spending $1000 on a decent running buggy, invest the rest in safety gear and basic upgrades. Learn about buggies and what you want from it and what you want to be better. Then build.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Xbird View Post
    think about the size of what you're building and how long it will take them to outgrow it. modded an old clapped out mini kiddy buggy in the same manner as you're thinking. 90cc quad a-arms up front, quad swingarm welded to the underside of a yard kart engine platform/swingarm out the back. got 6 years out of it with one "upsize" of it along the way. that build was in the $500 range.
    I'd like to be able to size it so it will be able to fit them up to about a 10 year old. That would give all the Grandkids a lot of service.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    Considering your budget I think you would be better off looking for a chinese buggy and running that. You'll gain a lot of experience and you'll know how you want to use the buggy and what really needs to be improved. This is something you're going to replace whether you build it or buy one, but building one as your first go you'll make all your mistakes in construction and not really be able to learn from it...unless you're going to go off of some established plans (very few builds are really going to let you get by on <$2500).

You can find Goka buggies like the GK01 and GK28 all over the place for a couple hundred dollars, and the bigger/more capable GK13's and GK06's for a little more...you can buy a pretty nice 13 or 06 for way under $2k. I would suggest spending $1000 on a decent running buggy, invest the rest in safety gear and basic upgrades. Learn about buggies and what you want from it and what you want to be better. Then build.
    I know this makes the most sense, but I've never been accused of doing things the easy way.

This is going to be a winter project, so maybe I'll keep an open mind and if I run across a deal on a running buggy, I'll go that direction.

8. Collapse Details
    Adjustable seat/s, pedals and steering wheel goes a long way to getting the most "growth" life out of it. if you search my posts through my profile, you should be able to take a look at some of the ones i've built for my daughter and for spring sale after winter build for some ideas in those areas.