Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    yard kart/buggy help
    I have an old Fox Vortex yard kart or buggy. Bought the thing dirt cheap just to build so I could ride around in the pasture with my daughter. She has an older Manco kart. Anyway, I chucked the anemic little Subaru 169cc engine and did a little fabricating so I could install a gx340 clone engine. It has one of those cheap Comet knockoff torque convertors from eBay. It does ok, but if you abuse it much at all, it will shred the drive belt. Im planning on pulling this engine and putting it on her kart, which should do a lot better since it weighs half as much as mine. My new engine is an actual gx620 Honda. The engine is staying stock with the exception of hd valve springs, governor removed, better air filter system and better exhaust system to pull a couple easy hp. Any ideas on what kind of cheap drive systems would work for this? I need some kind of torque convertor or drive system that will take the abuse of this engine.

thanks
    Tom

2. Collapse Details
    Re: yard kart/buggy help
    Hey Tom... I am using a GX motor in my build. For a clutch, I am using the CVTech clutches from Protodie. it has performed well so far(only a few test drives). Protodie actually built a couple of buggies using the same setup. They aren't necessarily cheap though.

3. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I like your ideas for modifying the motor. Those changes will give you the biggest bang for the buck.

The CVTech clutch setup is not a bad idea. Those clutches would last forever.

If you're looking for an alternative recommendation, then I would suggest the Comet Duster clutches. I've used the Duster clutch setup on my buggy for over 10 years and it has held up well.

There are various versions of the Duster clutch (tapered bore, keyway, etc). Here are the part numbers for use with an industrial engine like the Honda GX620:

Drive clutch 216308A
    Driven clutch (3/4" shaft) 212291A
    Driven clutch (1" shaft) 212299A
    Belt 300627

mfgsupply.com has the driver clutch for $200 right now. The driven clutch is harder to find, but one vendor has it listed on Ebay for slightly over $200. The belt is also available at mfgsupply.com and Belt Palace.

Have fun with your project!!!

4. Collapse Details
    New house payment, bills and trying to find my daughter a newer dirt oval kart chassis won't allow for me to spend that kind of money right now. Any ideas on where to find a Comet Duster setup used?

Another thought, which is probably a bad idea anyway, what about golf cart clutch and driver setups? I have a couple used drive clutches that I could mill out the taper to straight and broach a keyway in. they say 5000 rpm max and I don't intend to turn but around 5000 anyway. another thought was snowmobile clutches and drivers, but they would have to be weighted differently since they engage a little too high. Just gotta remember this is on a budget. If I sell a few of my non essential toys, I could probably just buy the Comet setup and do it right anyway.

5. Collapse Details
    Used Comet Duster clutches are as rare as unicorns. If you find one, they want almost as much as a new clutch.

I haven't worked with golf cart clutches, but the principle is the same for all CVT clutches. The main issue is the belt width. Low horsepower applications use a 7/8" belt. In my experience, that will work for applications up to 13 horsepower. After that, the buggy is usually too heavy or the engine puts out too much horsepower for the clutches to handle. I checked and some golf cart clutches use a 1 3/16" belt (1.18"). That will work. That's the same belt width as a Polaris ATV. If you're unsure, measure the driven clutch and see what belt size fits just within the sheaves.

Many Polaris snowmobile driven clutches are made for a 1" keyed shaft. Handy. However, the driver clutch is built for a 30mm tapered shaft. Not so handy. You can get a 30mm to 1" shaft adapter (Vegas Karting?) but it fits right on the end of the shaft and makes the clutch stick out a fair distance. Used Polaris P-85 driver and driven clutches are all over Ebay, so take a look.

6. Collapse Details
    Fingers crossed that I get lucky. I had a guy give me a late 70's Arctic Cat snowmobile. The fuel tank is rusted up on the inside and kept plugging up the carbs so they parked it 12 years ago. If the clutches will work, Yay. If not, the little buggy might get a 340 2 stroke. Gotta get a new set of rear tires first. Daughter and I were racing around our flat track when I peeled the right rear off and almost rolled it. They were getting pretty rough anyway.

7. Collapse Details
    Free. I like that price.

Good luck on your project. Keep us posted on your progress and, most importantly, pictures!!!

8. Collapse Details
    So much for it being the 340 like the guy said. Itís a 74 Arctic Cat Lynx 292. Fingers crossed that the clutch setup is usable.

9. Collapse Details
    Finally had a chance to pull the snowmobile apart. The engine runs, but the carb is trashed and will cost too much to use. It appears that the driver will work with one of those Vegas Kart adapters. The driven clutch is kinda on the big side, but also looks like its going to work. Now if I can just find the time........ Backyard go kart racing season is right around the corner and I haven't touched the 3 karts I work on.

10. Collapse Details
    It sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck and I can certainly relate to the "not enough time" issue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast