Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: yard kart/buggy help
    Quick update, finally had a few minutes to build the new engine mount/jack shaft plate. While staring at the engine, it doesn't look straight in the chassis. If you measure from the side rails and put a straight edge on the axle sprocket, it measures out correct. Might just be an optical illusion or that Honda just doesn't have enough straight edges on it. I also managed to mill .050 off the heads and that caused me to have to slot the intake mounting holes and do a little port matching to keep it happy. still need to finish weld everything, build the exhaust, wire it all up, build a battery box and cross my fingers that the snowmobile clutch is gonna work. It is a Salsbury driver that's similar to a Comet. It has 6 springs in it with a 4000-4200 rpm engagement. A couple springs were damaged, so I moved them around and I'm gong to try it with 3 springs. Hoping for it to engage around 1800-2000 rpm. I need to look up and see how to put pictures on here.

2. Collapse Details
    Should be close on the springs. Centripetal force is due to the velocity squared. Half of the spring force will be .707 the velocity, so maybe 2800 rpm or so...

3. Collapse Details
    If you can run 2 springs, that would be 1/3 the force, which would be close to 2300 rpm.

4. Collapse Details
    I guess I could have started it up with just the clutch and watched the tach to see when it started moving. Too late now, I finish welded everything and have it sitting on the kart. Wiring, exhaust, chain and throttle cable are all that's left. I'll only get an hour of shop time this evening, then its OT every day for the rest of the week. I could disable another spring, but then 1 of the arms wouldn't have anything holding it back. It would try to push the sheave out immediately after the engine was running wouldn't it? If not, I'll try it. Thanks for the info.

5. Collapse Details
    Going to have to try popping another spring off. Sitting on the jack stands last night, I lit it and eased it up to 3000 before the clutch moved. Any ideas for a fuel tank to mount on the backside of the main rollcage hoop? I hate to build a bracket and use a stock Predator tank.

6. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    do you have room for one of these generator gas tanks?
    4.5 gallons and cheap
    I've used them and the shut off valve leaked. bought a Honda shutoff valve to replace and all good

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engine...-28-1836-R.axd

7. Collapse Details
    Finally got a chance to get back on the little buggy project. Reinforced the jackshaft mounts, tested and mocked up the wiring. Need to build the battery mount and finish the wiring. It will now start, run and shut off from the ignition switch. Popped off another spring, so now I only have 1 working on the driver, and it seems to come in at the right rpm. Gotta reinstall the seat also and mount some kind of fuel tank. No more than it will get run, I was thinking of using some of my surplus of 212 Predator tanks. Mount both a few inches above the engine and T the lines together. Still not sure on that idea yet. At least I'm getting close to a test run. All of that stuff will have to wait until next week, and we are racing tonight and going on a mini vacation tomorrow and Monday.

8. Collapse Details
    I got everything mounted and done except for the fuel tank I'm going to use. I have a temp tank on it right now. Took it out for a easy test run and its a monster. The snowmobile clutch works like a dream and my gear ratio is spot on for an easy 50mph. The engine has yet to see any higher than 4800 rpm and runs smooth as silk. But I have an issue. I'm running #41 chain because I already had the sprockets and if I really get after it, all the torque from my 620gx going through that converter is enough to simply pull the chain in half. Broke the master link first, put it back together and tack welded the new master so it wouldn't happen again. It then broke the chain in half 10 links from the master. Just pulled it in half. I really don't want to have to swap everything over to a #50 or a #520 chain. Any ideas?

9. Collapse Details
    I believe 420 chain is the same pitch and width as #41 but it is stronger. Good brands of 420 might be enough. A quality DID or renthal dirt bike chain could be cut to length and is approximately 75% stronger than #41 roller chain.

10. Collapse Details
    I'll give it a try. The #41 chain I had was standard stuff from the local farm supply store. Can't remember, but isn't a 428 chain similar?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast