Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Mixing air/coilover shocks front rear
    Thanks for the responses guys. Too many to reply to so i'm not quoting everyone.

X Bird. Thats pretty much what happens. TO get them stiff enough to plant all 4 wheels on the ground the ride is killer and the buggy is high off the ground, to get it low and a comfortable ride its tippy. I have not played with the oil levels a lot but I have tried and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Maybe I'm just not adding enough, who knows.

As for freight, there are a few companies who will forward parcels internationally. The cheapest I have found would be about $80 US a shock. Thats killer but its still way cheaper than most of the stuff here in Oz. Just looking at a few quotes from places like UPS I don't think I'd get much cheaper than that unless someone just took it in their luggage on holidays here.

Kieran, I'm going to play with the valving, but was using the valving that was recommended to me by the shock company so figure its probably not to far off (but could be way off)

Crisco, if you could do that it would be awesome, but I agree. When I got my shocks from the states they were about half the price of buying them locally.

The main question is just if I'm spending hundreds of dollars on something that I have never really been happy with, should I just up the ante and buy something better and save buying it all in a few years anyway.
    Hmmm, decisions.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambam View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. Too many to reply to so i'm not quoting everyone.

X Bird. Thats pretty much what happens. TO get them stiff enough to plant all 4 wheels on the ground the ride is killer and the buggy is high off the ground, to get it low and a comfortable ride its tippy. I have not played with the oil levels a lot but I have tried and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Maybe I'm just not adding enough, who knows.

As for freight, there are a few companies who will forward parcels internationally. The cheapest I have found would be about $80 US a shock. Thats killer but its still way cheaper than most of the stuff here in Oz. Just looking at a few quotes from places like UPS I don't think I'd get much cheaper than that unless someone just took it in their luggage on holidays here.

Kieran, I'm going to play with the valving, but was using the valving that was recommended to me by the shock company so figure its probably not to far off (but could be way off)

Crisco, if you could do that it would be awesome, but I agree. When I got my shocks from the states they were about half the price of buying them locally.

The main question is just if I'm spending hundreds of dollars on something that I have never really been happy with, should I just up the ante and buy something better and save buying it all in a few years anyway.
    Hmmm, decisions.
    Hey Ham,

I am in exactly the same boat and it is seriously delaying my build. I have resigned myself to buying from the US and am looking for a good second hand set of 2.5 x 12 coil - overs. Let me know what you decide. I will do the same.

Cheers,

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tbwcurtis View Post
    Hey Ham,

I am in exactly the same boat and it is seriously delaying my build. I have resigned myself to buying from the US and am looking for a good second hand set of 2.5 x 12 coil - overs. Let me know what you decide. I will do the same.

Cheers,

Try these guys for shipping. Cheapest I've found for small stuff.

https://www.shipito.com

I'm weighing up at the moment. I have looked at my valving at the moment and its terrible. Looks like the guys who installed the valves (not me surprisingly) did it backwards. there is a rate plate on the compression side making it rock hard, and light shims on rebound which would explain why it kicks so much off the jumps. Eventually I want to build a new buggy and do it right from the start. I'm thinking more of just replacing the air shock, tweeking the valving, and getting it as good as I can (cheapest option)

I'll save the new coilovers for the next project, and do it right then.

4. Collapse Details
    my set came out of downsouth motorsports with 35/45 marked on them. bought them off another members project. been meaning to open them up for over a year now, i guess this winter is the time to find out how the shims are set up. you aussie guys should try to find a way to coordinate your buys into one bulk shipment. Can't believe how hard u get hammered on shipping.

5. Collapse Details
    Just found these. Gotta be doomed to fail from the start, but the price is impressive. Might be good for a slower, less raced buggy. very intriguing

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...878251548.html

6. Collapse Details
    I've seen them on the Joyner buggies but don't know for racing like you said.

7. Collapse Details
    These are also Chinese know off's off Kings, might be able to get them cheaper in AU.

http://www.profendersuspension.com/

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    These are also Chinese know off's off Kings, might be able to get them cheaper in AU.

http://www.profendersuspension.com/
    You can get the profenders here. They are surprisingly not a whole lot cheaper than getting fox/kings imported. Its crazy. People have used them here quite successfully though. Also, I think they are made in thailand (although not sure if thats better or worse than china... its probably all the same)

I have used some Excellent quality parts out of china, also used complete total junk. I think it really depends on quality control. Lots of the big brand companies (for everything) use chinese manufacturing with american/european/other quality controllers and they get some great stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2