Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Dave's (odypilots) distraction
    I took it out to SCCA's Track Night In America at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI. What a blast! I'm going to leave the rear gear as is.
    I race, therefore I am

2. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Careful there Ody - tracking a car becomes addictive.

Remember - Tires and brakes/pads are expendables.
    Once you start getting into it, look into Toyo R888 for your first dive into R compound tires and then move onto Hoosiers.

There's a hi-performance driving group in your area that is called the Cobra Club (or something like that). They run a good weekend.

You're close enough - get that thing to Road America and Mid-Ohio.

Road America is FAST and hard on brakes at turn 1 and 5 especially. Canada Corner's another one that's a brake burner. The surface isn't really tire friendly either.
    If you decide to give it a try, we need to talk so I can walk you through some of the turns. I love that track. You'll be absolutely amazed at how fast you can dive into turn one if you have the balls (which grow each lap).

Mid-Ohio is WONDERFUL! Smooth, sticky, but not hard on the machine at all. Brakes and tires last very well there. This place will teach you to trust yourself and the car - easily 50% of the corners are blind and SO much fun! The combo in back, if you can get the rhythm dialed in, is wicked quick.

Pay attention to what the instructors tell you - always have one give you a ride and then sit next to you when you go to a track. You'll learn so much and so much more quickly.

3. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    I love Gingerman
    nice road course,, with 1/2 mile straightaway.
    always seemed to be good people there running it and driving it

4. Collapse Details
    I think Deanna will keep my track time in check after she looked up the cost of a set of tires, Richard. I did over state how hard track time is on tires, though, just to prepare her for the worst. The guys I talked with there said they'd get 7 or 8 weekends at the track, plus 10,000 street miles out of their Mustang tires. Brakes I really hadn't considered. They go faster than tires, depending how you use them, they said. Since I was learning the car and the track, my first session was at about 75%. After the tire wear talk, my second and third ones, about 85-90%, with unintended moments of 105%! The corner over the rise on the start straight, in particular.

I may try those other tracks if I get the inch bad. Not wanting to roll up a bunch of miles works against making the trips, but if you had told me in 1995 I'd drag a buggy to Arizona to race... It's like I don't even own the car, but only it's curator to save it for future generations! I'm trying to get over that.

Gingerman IS sweet, Jody. Fast enough, with a good blend of corners. And you nailed it about the people there. A guy twisted off the lug bolt on his FR-S, and another guy gave him his spare hub. Mary, the manager, was as nice and helpful as could be. Everyone on the track was well behaved in every group I watched. I even got to watch from the flag stand. A fun day!
    I race, therefore I am

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2