Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buggy

2 66.67%
  • Side x Side

1 33.33%
  1. Collapse Details
    Side by Side or buggy?
    I'm really on the fence with which is right for me.

A side by side I can run on all the ORV trails around me, a lot of which are closed to vehicles, they have 4x4 and lockers and all sorts of neato features to get you through the wood's. I can just go buy one and have it and drive it right now, much instant gratification.

A buggy, i can build for far cheaper, no matter which design I go with, I figure I can build a buggy between 5,000 and 12,000 depending on how silly I get. A buggy will satisfy my need to show everyone how clever I am, and satisfy my odd desire to do things the hard way lol.

But a side by side is very expensive, and suffer's from a fair bit of depreciation as well. I have a hard time paying as much for a toy as I pay for the vehicle I drive daily.

Buggy's seem to tend to be 2wd, and are much lower to the ground, putting my butt in the mud. A lot of plans wind up being too wide for the ORV trails, and they don't have selectable lockers. I wouldn't build one until this winter, and probably not drive it until next summer. I have a little go kart, but I'm already bored with it lol.

So? any pointer's, argument's? Criticism?
    Last edited by K-fab; 04-05-2016 at 11:41 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Side by Side or buggy?
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    You can build a 4x4 buggy using drivetrain items out of quads and side by sides. There's a lot to be found on Craigslist and fleabay if you look and are patient. You also have the satisfaction of building it yourself.

You can source many items from production vehicles too. The more of the items you can do this with, the better. Once again, drivetrain items that you can purchase versus making them makes life and replacements easier.

Ride height is totally up to you and your design. Build for the intended use.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    You can build a 4x4 buggy using drivetrain items out of quads and side by sides. There's a lot to be found on Craigslist and fleabay if you look and are patient. You also have the satisfaction of building it yourself.

You can source many items from production vehicles too. The more of the items you can do this with, the better. Once again, drivetrain items that you can purchase versus making them makes life and replacements easier.

Ride height is totally up to you and your design. Build for the intended use.
    Interesting, you've set me down a path of looking at Kia Sportage/Chevy Tracker sized vehicles I can scrap the body on, add a cage to, and have most of what I want/need.

4. Collapse Details
    Samurai, 60" wide........

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrgunn5150 View Post
    Interesting, you've set me down a path of looking at Kia Sportage/Chevy Tracker sized vehicles I can scrap the body on, add a cage to, and have most of what I want/need.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuk...trzr-2-0l.html

I was digging it till he did the front bumper........

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    Samurai, 60" wide........
    Yes, every vehicle on the road it too wide for ATV trails, but, they all have electric start, reverse, and over 100 HP lol. Decisions decisions

7. Collapse Details
    what I have seen is more people are going the SXS route... the biggest advantage is financing, the second is that you can go to the dealer and get parts. The bad thing is the wife wants to drive it or wants her own...