Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What frame or plan is this??
    Hi all. Been looking around the last year and a half for designs to build for a first time buggy.

Long travel is out for me as I live in a heavily wooded area (unless it's 4x4) which i already have atv's for.

I have miles and miles of lakes nearby so I was leaning towards the idea of the Finnish cross karts with lower ground clearance. I've attached pics of what I WANT to build.

Need to know if the buggy pictured is a plan build? If so, what plans? I've already purchased sabretooth plans but not married to them. Maybe the builder of the pictured buggy is on this site??

Criteria for me:

Frame: one seater with a-arm suspension
    Drive: CV axles /chain can anyone identify the rear axles in pics?
    Power: 600-800 cc 2 stroke sled engine in either Arctic cat (love the zuki's) or 600-800 cc '04-'07 rev. Must be twin. And whatever is used will have electronic reverse.
    A-arms most likely be donated from a raptor or what have you but can be fabricated easily too.

This frame I thought would be a plan or kit based on the engine cradle pictured. I'll try to post a YouTube video of it in action too.

The buggy will be used for ice racing and logging roads. I already have 200' of 1.315" (.100 wall) sitting in the shop for this project.

Any help with identifying the pictured buggy frame would be greatly appreciated.

Oh btw, I hope this is the correct forum to post this lol.

Thanks!!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

2. Collapse Details
    Re: What frame or plan is this??
    Here's the video. Fella who built it is in Quebec. The pics are from his Facebook page.

http://youtu.be/Afv9-qWRz0k

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome to MBN.

Interesting ride there. Not sure what it is. The cross link between the rear arms is interesting and curious. What's that all about? I guess, being that there's a spring in there, that it's some sort of funky sway bar. But there's already a sway bar on the machine, so???

If you're willing and able (and it sounds like you are), why not just go ahead and design and build your own? This place will keep you guided through the process.

Start with Flyer's post on how to How to Design and Build an A-arm suspension.

The very first thing to do is pick tire size and rim offset. From there, it's drawing time.

Did a search on DGX 670 and came up with a bunch of YouTube videos. Looks to be a well done home built. He says he has a FB page, so you may want to go check that out.

Someone needs to contact him and invite him here to MBN.

DGX670

Hey Bullnerd - look, no reframing required!

4. Collapse Details
    pretty cool, just a little bigger than a Honda pilot.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Welcome to MBN.

Interesting ride there. Not sure what it is. The cross link between the rear arms is interesting and curious. What's that all about? I guess, being that there's a spring in there, that it's some sort of funky sway bar. But there's already a sway bar on the machine, so???

If you're willing and able (and it sounds like you are), why not just go ahead and design and build your own? This place will keep you guided through the process.

Start with Flyer's post on how to How to Design and Build an A-arm suspension.

The very first thing to do is pick tire size and rim offset. From there, it's drawing time.

Did a search on DGX 670 and came up with a bunch of YouTube videos. Looks to be a well done home built. He says he has a FB page, so you may want to go check that out.

Someone needs to contact him and invite him here to MBN.

DGX670

Hey Bullnerd - look, no reframing required!
    Yes the photos are from his Facebook page. I watched his vids over and over lol.

Really like that little buggy.

Thanks for the tips! Why start with tire/wheel size though? (I've built a couple choppers in the past and it was always build around the motor type thing)

What does it determine I guess is what I'm asking?

I've always been that guy who doesn't ask anything but I'm trying to change that. If I can get tips along the way that will save me silly mistakes that could have been avoided, it will be better for those around me. lol

6. Collapse Details
    Never mind the "what does it determine question". I just read the link to a-arms lol. Guess I should read first instead of being so damned eager.

7. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    welcome to MBN
    I agree, looks like a really nice home build, the guy put some engineering and nice work into it
    IMO: while cool looking , could take a bunch of bends out of it and still have a good look with the same performance
    again, just my opinion
    3rd shock on the rear also has me curious
    I see (I think) how the set up works and makes sense if your married to a set of shocks,,, but maybe they are to soft so add the third to assist the other two.
    kinda cool idea
    but 2 properly set up shocks could do the same, unless there is something I am not seeing.
    dont take any of this negative, I think the guy did a real good job on the buggy

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoDie View Post
    welcome to MBN
    I agree, looks like a really nice home build, the guy put some engineering and nice work into it
    IMO: while cool looking , could take a bunch of bends out of it and still have a good look with the same performance
    again, just my opinion
    3rd shock on the rear also has me curious
    I see (I think) how the set up works and makes sense if your married to a set of shocks,,, but maybe they are to soft so add the third to assist the other two.
    kinda cool idea
    but 2 properly set up shocks could do the same, unless there is something I am not seeing.
    dont take any of this negative, I think the guy did a real good job on the buggy
    No negativity taken!! I have to agree also. Several unnecessary bends. Same with the shock setup. Could have been too soft. 3rd shock could be crutch or helper.

I also thought the third shock along with sway bar, may have been an attempt at curving body roll.

9. Collapse Details
    I would think the third shock would act just the opposite of a sway bar in a corner. But I'm no suspension guru by any means..lol

10. Collapse Details
    That is an interesting setup, the only thing that I can think of is the third shock would help in equalizing traction. Little better grip coming into and out of corner by keeping a little more down pressure on the inside tire ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast