Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    metric vs imperial system
    Hi guys. I am in the process of drawing up some buggy plans which I eventually intend to sell. I want these to appeal to everyone worldwide, but its quite hard to tell what is available in different countries.

So far all rod ends are UNF as metric ones are 3times the cost. All other bolts are metric. Americans seem to hate metric, not sure why. Can you buy metric nuts and bolts in the states easily? Its easy to get either over here.

pipework is 1-1/2" as its easily available in Australia and I believe worldwide. I am also using 35mm square tube. Doubt that is available everywhere.

Also, would people prefer
    A) plans with just metric measurements (dimensions in mm only and metric pipe sizes)
    B) plans in just imperial (dimensions in inches only with imperial pipe sizes)
    C) both versions available separately
    D) single set of plans with mm and inches dimensioned. The problem here is that rounding between the two will yield slightly different values... no problem if you us just one system, but if you swap halfway through you will build a crooked buggy.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: metric vs imperial system
    Blog Entries
    I would say the only place you really need to worry about imperial measurements is customers in the US.

35MM square tube is 1-3/8" Not impossible to find, but 1-1/2 would be much easier.

We don't hate Metric, it's just that imperial is much easier to find and cheaper. The only time Metric piss's Me off is on Chevy and Ford trucks when they mix them randomly on the same vehicle using really odd sizes. I.E. chassis made in Canada and the body made in the US on the same truck.
    Last edited by bdkw1; 08-06-2014 at 09:40 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    I would def go with imperial tube sizes for a couple of reasons , most of the quality chassis material , chro mo and cds, etc comes from the us and is mainly imperial .

Also a lot of the tube bending dies around in shops is imperial as well or at least more common in oz as a lot of the machines are still a bit of a throwback and new metric tooling can get $$. So if one of your customers wants a shop to do the bends it is still more likely { even out here } they will have imperial dies.

Unfortunately we have to have both as most of the aluminium sizes are metric. Some overlap but not many. eg you cant really bend 38.1 mm { 1 1/2"} in a 40 mm die with any real accuracy .
    But you can get away with 31.8 mm {1 1/4 "} in a 32 mm die.

And go with the imperial rod ends and bungs , those sizes are common and simple .

As for dims of the frame just put in both . 32" [ 813 mm or 812.8 mm to be exact ] a fraction of a mm here and there is no biggie in a frame .

Maybe i am taking it a bit for granted as we use both systems around her constantly , but it is not too hard. Maybe i am getting old.
    Talon's YouTube Channel

Adapt what is usefull , reject what is useless and add what is your own.........Bruce Lee

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I've always been a fan of Japanese metric (years of working on motocross bikes). Then I started working on European vehicles and suddenly discovered that I'd use a 15mm wrench... what should be 12 mm heads are 13, 18's are thrown in. There's a weird variety of head sizes and it can be a tad frustrating.

Fortunately we have McMaster-Carr for fastener supply, so the ability to purchase metric's easy enough.

SAE's pretty standard across the board and makes it easier. Then again, you can get jet nuts and some aerospace stuff that's odd - 12 pt fasteners, smaller diameter heads.

Purchase a Polaris vehicle and then it's a mixed bag of metric on the engine, SAE on the chassis. Total PITA!!!
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your responses guys. I Hate when manufacturers us different systems on the same vehicles, you can always tell that it was just cheaper to do it that way.

I think america is probably the biggest market for this sort of thing so ill cater for that, and go yhe 1-1/2" tube for the main structure. Seems to be easy to get in most places.

are USA people confident with metric dimensions? I swap between the two all day and it makes no difference but I understand it can be a little confusing

6. Collapse Details
    Good luck Bambam, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambam View Post
    are USA people confident with metric dimensions? I swap between the two all day and it makes no difference but I understand it can be a little confusing
    I also work with both every day..
    But still prefer inch, especially on cut lists. Unless we switch over to metric stock inch makes sense.
    Our stock over here is inch.
    If you are ordering steel here you order by the foot.
    Even when ordering drops I specify inch cut length.
    Metric tape measures are available but most places are using inch.
    I've never even seen a metric tape at work.
    And this is a huge fab shop.

8. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Here in the U.S., most guys who work on their cars or buggies are comfortable with metric bolts and can visualize what a 10 mm bolt looks like, but pipe and tubing are invariably measured in inches. If you were talking about 34mm tubing, for example, I wouldn't automatically know that it was about 1 3/8 inches. I would need to look it up.

The U.S. started to roll out the metric system in the '70's and then they ran into opposition from rank-and-file Americans. They didn't want "the government" messing with their measuring system. They got as far as rolling out large soft drink bottles measured in liters (e.g. 1 liter and 2 liter sizes). Everybody seemed to be okay with that, probably because a liter is really close to a quart. The effort stalled after that and other beverage containers were never converted. We still buy milk by the gallon and smaller soft drinks are still measured in ounces. Everyone learns the metric system in school and there would probably be some grumbling if we ever switched, but nobody seems inclined to force the issue.
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 08-09-2014 at 10:36 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    "Give me a literacola".

http://youtu.be/_MIQ8No2WZs
    Last edited by Bullnerd; 08-09-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

10. Collapse Details
    We started selling gasoline in liters back in the 70's and that did not last long!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast