Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Another Problem -___-
    Exclamation
    so for all you that helped me with my bump steer problems you guys are great. i dont know if I would have been able to do it with out you guys. so back to the problem, last night I drove it and as I drove it the rear wheels began to lean in almost as if the tops of the tires were trying to touch them selves I figured out that it is my trailing arms twisting. I know I need to brace it but will bracing it fix it or are the trailing arms built wrong? HOPEFULLY this will be the last problem until my drive brakes. thanks for the help! and I am working on getting the photo bucket account trying to figure it all out at the moment
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."

"Every Day I Ride is a Good Day"

There is a fine line between skill and luck

http://www.youtube.com/user/FullThrottleKTM

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Another Problem -___-
    here it is bigger, finally figuring out photo bucket. Winning!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."

3. Collapse Details
    Pretty sure you were warned months ago they would not work

4. Collapse Details
    mc performance fab you are right now that you mention it. when you guys said that I thought it was the way it cycled you did not like. correct me if I am wrong please but I am probably gonna rebuild them out of some heavier tubing or just make it all out of plate. before i do all that i am gonna try and plate it all and do some more bracing just to see how it acts and run it temporarily if possible. what do you think, would that be a waste of my time?

5. Collapse Details
    You are wasting your time with that pair of arms. Nothing you can do to fix the issues. Your not the first to go down this road, a couple years back a guy with a Short Sand Car was having the same problems because of the same problems. Maybe check out the KARTEK website for pics of how tubular trailing arms are designed and built.

6. Collapse Details

would a design like this work more or less?

7. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    Go look at some VW tube trailing arms and copy them. Putting that big plate on the back of the bearing carrier and spreading the tubes out enough to go around the carrier would be a good start.

Something like this. TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - 5x5 off road trailing arms

8. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Are the rear hub/bearing carrier VW? If so I'd cut it down to just the bearing part like in 1st pic. Buy/buils plate for it to bolt too. The build my arms to suit. I moldeled my arm from Tut and Yoshi's.

9. Collapse Details
    Hey I like that arm....

See how my tubes go past my bearing carrier? That helps and see how I have top tubes and bottom tubes.. that helps..

Then where my shock mounts and I add more webbing not seen in that pic.. to help.
    That is just my generic pic.. I don't show everything online.

But do what you showed in your pic and re draw it but go past the axle and carrier.. catch the back.. also move your tubes coming from the heim out closer to the end as far as the angle of your heim will allow and the tubes not get hit by the tire when you bolt it on and have some clearance for flexing and room for your shock not to rub its coils on the tire.. but mount your tubes out farther.. and two of them will help like you have in your drawing.

Take a look at that same arm with the webbing and tubing I normally add in also.. as I said I normally don't show or do this but here so you can see take a look at my attached pic.

Good luck.
    Last edited by TutTech; 08-20-2012 at 08:19 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    thanks okay I think I am starting to realize the problem with the trailing arms I currently have, its that bend isn't it? right behind the inner heim. and with this rebuild that is basically what I need to eliminate, correct? and while I am rebuilding them I am just gonna make them stronger by wrapping around the bearing carrier so that the tubes are a little farther apart causing it to be more rigid. but is that bend my main problem? I am just curious as to what my problem is for future reference

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast