Thread: GoPro question

1. Collapse Details
    GoPro question
    Any of you guys carry a mass storage similiar to an external hard drive to download files too? I would like to find some way of downloading a weekends worth of footage and store it until I can get home and edit it without messing with several sd cards....I am thinking something in the neighborhood of 100g would be plenty of space.....
    Hoodlum

2. Collapse Details
    Re: GoPro question

3. Collapse Details
    laptop also plus it recharges while it downloads...

4. Collapse Details
    Yea,I just hate to buy another laptop just to dump video on too....Thought there might be another option....

5. Collapse Details
    just seen a flyer today that walmart has a cheap laptop for $230, would be better than a mass storage device. I don't think i can get the go pro to dump onto an external hard drive w/o a computer to run it...i might be wrong though

6. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    Quote Originally Posted by dalonar View Post
    just seen a flyer today that walmart has a cheap laptop for $230, would be better than a mass storage device. I don't think i can get the go pro to dump onto an external hard drive w/o a computer to run it...i might be wrong though
    Yeah external hard drives need a operating system... So either a laptop or take the desk top tower and monitor with mouse with a power inverter.... Either way seems lap top is the way to go. I was wondering the same thing and did not want to buy multiple memory sticks.

7. Collapse Details
    Are you looking for something like this:
    Amazon.com: Digital Foci Photo Safe II PST-251 500 GB Digital Picture Storage (Blue/White): Camera & Photo

It automatically backs up SD or other cards to its own hard drive until you can get to a computer. Its $150 for 500 GB of space. Considering that an equal space on multiple SD cards is much more expensive it appears to be a good deal. Lasts 70 minutes on the battery but only copies 1GB in 3.5 minutes. A full 16GB card would take about an hour to back up. The hard drive is not solid state like the SD cards so vibrations could potentially destroy the data - so don't carry it along for the ride.

I guess it depends on your riding style and the length of your rides. I personally would rather keep a handful of SD cards on me and switch them out as needed. That way data corruption or loss would not wipe out all of your videos. Its also much faster to switch the cards out. But, if you ride all day and get 2-3 hours of video on one card, this could back-up the day's video while recovering in camp.

8. Collapse Details
    You might want to invest in just one big SD card, or two. I've seen em 64 GB, or bigger? Some as much as $100 but its smaller than a laptop.

9. Collapse Details
    Google external digital camera storage. There are a ton of solutions out there, some might fit your needs.....