1. Collapse Details
    single seater mini buggy
    hi , i'm starting to save up to build a mini off road buggy im only 17 so im going to need a bit of help . I take welding in school so i will be able to weld my own frame and suspension . the only part im confused about is the drive shaft in the back , what parts do i use for that ? . i was also wondering if anyone could list the parts im goning to need to build it so that it is safe and reliable ( i wanna go fast ,get big air and be able to drift ) any help is appreciated thank you - Tim

2. Collapse Details
    Re: single seater mini buggy
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiankid15 View Post
    hi , i'm starting to save up to build a mini off road buggy im only 17 so liim going to need a bit of help . I take welding in school so i will be able to weld my own frame and suspension . the only part im confused about is the drive shaft in the back , what parts do i use for that ? . i was also wondering if anyone could list the parts im goning to need to build it so that it is safe and reliable ( i wanna go fast ,get big air and be able to drift ) any help is appreciated thank you - Tim
    Well the drifting is throttle and tire pressure. My 91 Lincoln towncar Drifts... Its all balls and throttle(ok well there is skill.... But who cares)

It all depends on what kind of set up you want. It is kinda a open question. Ok Here is the ideal way to narrow it down for a better answer....
    1 What is your budget.
    2. WHat size car are you thinking of building... I.E 1 seater, 2 seater, And so on
    3. What motor would you be wanting to use...

4 can you double your budget... (Kidding) Or not? I never planned on the money I spend... and lots of people will tell you they over spend too..... LOTS

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Drifting---cheap
    Fast(100)---cheap
    Big air---$$$
    Drifting+Fast+Big air=$$,$$$

Any buggy you've seen that interest you?

4. Collapse Details
    Hey canadiankid15,
    You are in the same situation i was in 6 months ago, i too was 17 at the start of my first build and wanted all the above except for big air (like CARLRIDDLE said your talking lots of $$$$ and for me it was no use as around here its prairie land anyway). You can check out my build to see what i did (i built mine at school too), but from my experience i would go with a set of plans. I visited badland buggy yesterday and they are a very professional in their plans and new build. You may even be able to get some free plans they are giving out on some of their older plans. Whats the budget you are trying to target? this is a very big factor in building! as for me i tried to build as cheap as possible for parts which were good quality and up to now it has cost me around $6500 and i mean some parts i got at excellent deals and even got my metal at bulk price as i bought from the school! If i was to have payed retail on all my buggy it would have easily exceeded $10,000. I think the biggest factor is don't be alarmed if you overspend, for instance i'm already $4000 over my budget. Just like Chikin1974 said LOTS of people do build over their budget as all the little things sure add up.

5. Collapse Details
    so im planing on building a single seater buggy with a 600 cc snomobile engine . my budget will be 4000-5000 $ i live by alot of scrap yards so could i get parts from there? and with getting big air i mean just hitting some decent jumps not ones that you might hit on a dirtbike or quad . thank you for the replies there very much appreciated

6. Collapse Details
    The younger members on this site seem to be a fine caliber of people.

Great reading about members like Tom and you too Kid!

Yes - you can build a car that does all that and do it for a reasonable cost if you are creative.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiankid15 View Post
    so im planing on building a single seater buggy with a 600 cc snomobile engine . my budget will be 4000-5000 $ i live by alot of scrap yards so could i get parts from there? and with getting big air i mean just hitting some decent jumps not ones that you might hit on a dirtbike or quad . thank you for the replies there very much appreciated
    Scrap yards are a good way to salvage parts for excellent deals, just make sure before hand you know what your buying. If you are building from your imagination make sure you plan some kind of dimensions before hand, maybe even educate yourself in some kind of design program which would enable us to help you structure your design better and see where you are coming from. Take this from a guy who has done this before, it helps too get your plans perfect before you even dream about cutting metal, as not only you will waste time restructuring your build though trial and error, but also bump up your costs in scrap material. If you want to keep to budget and produce the best for your buck, buy a good set of plans (even ask us guys for advise on plans, im sure we can help one way or another).... for the reason i say this is because is it reduces scrap to a minimum and by the end it will produce the best performance and longevity and will cause a lot less headaches and build time. Do you already own the engine? if not i would definatley look at pros and cons of running different types of engines, Snowmobile engines are good for the guy who wants a very tightly compact buggy with a gas and go concept (automatic), but as i have researched some people have had issues with gearing the engine down to meet off road requirements (torque) and belts have to be replaced allot (and if im wrong buggy veterans please input). On the other hand if you can get a motorcycle engine like a cbr600 etc then you have the advantage of gears, a somewhat more simple concept (easier to work on, more robust and easier to design and install) on the other hand this comes at a cost with no reverse (but there are ways around that) if you are wanting to hit jumps i would again advise a good set of plans or at least a well thought up design concept which has lots of support (i would also advise fox 2.0 air shocks for jumping, they are nice with very cool features like variable pressure to suit terrain, weight of your buggy, and of course jumping.

Here is two cool recommended sites when looking for plans (it may even give you ideas how to structure your frame, from frames of experienced buggy builders):

http://www.badlandbuggy.com/

http://www.edge.au.com/

There's also LOTS more, just check out the sticky's on the top of the lounge page and even the projects in progress!

Anyway i hope that gives you something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    The younger members on this site seem to be a fine caliber of people.

Great reading about members like Tom and you too Kid!

Yes - you can build a car that does all that and do it for a reasonable cost if you are creative.
    Thanks Gene,

It is well appreciated that veterans to the buggy world like you, appreciate the young guys coming into the sport.
    Last edited by Tom; 06-12-2011 at 02:37 AM.