Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Balls out 250 race report
    Wow what a great race. Weather was awesome. Heck Pepper actually won a free weekend at a hotel in a drawing that the race organization held. Totally awesome!
    Talk about nice to race all day then take a super long hot shower and sleep in a warm bed. Nice.

We saw Diirk out there in his car for a few laps.
    Maybe he will see this and post his report.

Pepper drove the entire race and we started ok but with in a couple laps we came down off a hill in 4th gear flat out and smashed into a very large square rock that some how found it's way into the middle of the road?? We hit pretty bad.
    We Lost almost a quart of oil out of our now leaking motor in the 18 miles back to pits to have them add oil and look over "Kitt" our race car. She was dented pretty bad on the skid plate and the motor was now making a taping noise.... dang... not good.

Well the taping went away when we added oil so off we went. I had Pepper take it really easy and not rev the motor too high. Each lap we took oil and we did the best we could. It was a great day of racing, although we were a bit off our pace and running maybe a little slower then normal, we never gave up and pushed if we could and we finished and did ok.

At the end of the day Pepper took 3rd and on the podium is always a good thing.
    If you like Pepper and I wrote up a bigger race report and photos on our site.
    It is easier to link to it and you can read it and see the pics if you like here:
    TUT TECH RACING -> Balls Out 250 March 20, 2010

It was a bitter sweet race as we finished and pulled into pits and waited for the race to end. When it was over Pepper started Kitt and went to load her in the trailer.. But first Pepper gave a couple rides to ElDiablo and a couple others just out front of the pits. Well then it happend, the motor blew.

Ya motor is done. But good thing is Kitt finished before blowing and she did it before we loaded her so we did not go into the next race thinking the motor was ok. So now I am taking it in to be rebuilt and we will have a fresh motor for next race. So at least that part is good right??

As always thanks for the great support we receive from everyone on here and out at the track.
    I saw xmotoracer also in his buggy.. it's awesome and looks great. You will have to stop by and say hi next time your at a race.
    That goes for any of you if you come to or want to come to a race please join us at our pits.

Next race is May 22nd and 23rd. It is one of the largest races held in California at 500 miles it is pretty big.
    We do upwards of 75 mile loops!
    So you can come watch and play with your own toys as you watch us race.
    The race starts at something like 1 or 2 in the afternoon and goes tell 2 am.
    Wow.. it is always exciting and usually so much goes wrong... dang. It is more of an adventure then a desert race.

For more info or questions please fill free to contact me.

Thanks for checking out my race report and the support as always.
    Tut.
    Last edited by TutTech; 03-29-2010 at 11:24 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Balls out 250 race report
    Well, our report's a lot shorter...we only completed 2 laps out of the 8 we were supposed to run.

We pulled into to Barstow early Friday afternoon. Pulled the car out and Todd (new co-dawg) and I preran the course. Pulling back into the pits, we noticed we were loosing a little coolant....and had a slight PS fluid leak. We tightened up the PS hose, added some BarsLeak to the radiator and headed for tech.

Tech this time was more thorough then ever before. We made it through with a few suggestions. No problems there. Did get to see Tut and Pepper for a few minutes, so that was great.

Saturday morning Wendy ran the first 2 race laps with Aaron (s@ndm@n) as her co-dawg. She took it easy for the first lap and locked on to Pepper for the 2nd lap. We have some great video of Pepper's rear, I'll be sure to share it later...

Wendy pulled in to the pit after her 2nd lap and Aaron moved to the driver position and I jumped in as co-dawg. While fueling and insoecting the car, the team noticed the front wheel bearing seemed a little loose. They pulled it apart, tightened it up and off we went. Aaron set a pretty aggressive pace and was making very good time. Unfortunately halfway through the 3rd lap we lost forward momentum. Aaron pulled off the course as far as he could and we jumped out expecting a quick belt replacement. No such luck.

We suspect a powersteering leak or possibly the differential breather blew oil on the CVT belt causing it to prematurely shred. In self destructing, the kevlar threads from the belt wrapped themselves inside the secondary clutch. There was nothing we could do in the field to fix it. While waiting for our tow, I pulled it all apart. We ended up getting towed back to the pits and repairing there.

By the time we were done with the repair, it was too late to get back into the race. Oh well, that's racing....

Looking forward to the next race. Got a lot of work ahead of us....

Hoepfully we can arrange an opportunity for Wendy and Pepper to get together and get a little practice in.

3. Collapse Details
    Sounds great we saw Wendy behind Pepper and as you saw we were not running top speed.. not slow just not aggressive either. So it was a good smooth as possible lap is all. We did come out of one section and hit into another whoop that threw us a little and as carburators do we flooded a bit and took a second to really get moving up hill again. I think Wendy almost went under us!! Nah not really she was great, driving great and hung back just enough to just pace us.

It was fun knowing she was there and more fun knowing it was you guys so that was cool.
    Not some trophy truck or class 1 that could have ran us over instead!

Depending on how long the motor rebuild takes and how soon I can get it back and installed we will set up to go to Barstow and pre run a little and brake in the motor before the 500.
    We should meet up for sure. We can do the Powder Puff loop so Pepper and Wendy can get some more practice and just get some driving in. If you have any adjustments you still want to make to your suspension I would be more then happy to take a look and help out.

Sorry about your belt.. dang.. thats to bad and ya thats racing for sure. Sheesh I have no idea where that big square rock came from its as if it just fell from the sky????
    LIke you said thats racing though. The two winners in our class are basically class 10 cars both with ecotecs and they were really fast. The one car passed us in the wash bed and I told Pepper to hold Kitt on the floor for a second and the Ecotec car just went right by. Dang..

That is my next step, to step up to an ecotec. We will see not sure when but saving up now.

Well cool, it was a great day of racing with perfect weather and tons of fun.
    We can't wait for the 500. Not sure looking at our lap times if we will make the 500 miles in only 12 hours though???

Pepper runs a great 32mph average now at the past 3 races that was her finishing mph at each of those races. That seems to be her speed and she keeps Kitt running good and no mistakes or break downs at that speed. So if we run 32 mph at the 500 it appears we will need roughly 15 hours to finish? We will just make 400 miles in 12 hours. Plus there is going to be extra pit stops and driving into the night... hmmm.. Just does not add up for us to make it in time. We will give it our best shot and see what we can do.
    Shoot for us that means we better not even get a flat tire? There is just no time to fix it.

Well only time will tell and we are all for it and will give it our best shot.
    Man I guess I am just going to have to let Pepper drive as fast as she wants I guess..

This is going to be a big race and if anyone has thought of coming out to either race or watch I highly recommend this race.
    Starts in the afternoon so you have time to come out and goes into the night so you can camp and stay or leave. Up to you.

We will see you for sure Diirk at the 500 for sure as it will be a Desert Lites official race that should bring a ton of buggies out and trucks for you to race against and see how you do.
    Last edited by TutTech; 03-30-2010 at 08:40 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Here's a brief clip of the video of Wendy following Pepper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VENyaQNB1DA

5. Collapse Details
    Thats so cool nice little video and very cool to see us from behind like that... ha ha...

And yes that is the exact spot I was talking about.. We jumped out of and into another whoop and the motor lost power pretty good and Pepper had to down shift and rev back up to get going.. good driving on Wendy's part to move over and take a fresh line. From the camera you guys seem very smooth as I know exactly how rough that section is.. rough enough to almost stall our motor! So looking good and smooth for you guys through your camera.

Well get your car ready.. seriously prep and then prep again.. the 500 is massive and over 60% of the cars break down. The finish rate is very low. Also you don't get a lot of time so you have to push pretty good to finish so its a catch 22. If you push hard enough to finish you might brake but if you go to slow or to conservative you won't finish in time. Not sure but I think we will see a bit more time then 12 hours. The loops are long at the 65 to 75 mile range. So be prepaired to have someone on the other side of the course to lend a hand or just look over the car or have another spare tire etc.
    Prep everything leave nothing to chance it is very fast in some sections and a different kind of rough in other sections where you are just shaking to death and just can not go... you will see batteries, fenders, jacks, tires and parts falling all over one section from the hardend ground of what seems like cement poured over boulders! But then after that its fast, then slow, then fast, then sandy, then rocky, then fast.. ha ha.. you will see it all. I love it and it is one of my favorite courses as you get tired of one type of terrain you will then be in a new type and it changes all around the loop. Then repeat about 6 times or so.

Can't wait.

6. Collapse Details
    Sounds like it's going to be fun. How are you planning to handle driver changes? Is Pepper going to try and run it all, or are you swapping out at some point?

We're working on pitting up with some of the other C3K teams, so we should be able to field a pit on the other side somewhere. I'll be sure to let you know, so you have a place to pit if needed.

It's going to be a pretty rough race, from what I've read from last year. My goal as always is just to finish, which didn't turn out so well last week.

Do you have a prep checklist you use?

7. Collapse Details
    No I just prep everything.. seriously, especially on this big of a race do it all. Grease, tighten, re add nitrogen to shocks, check frame and parts for cracks etc. Just do it all.

Heres the info for the 500:

The ROYAL PURPLE/ORAF 500

Schedule of Events
    Friday May 21, 2010
    Tech and Contingency 4 PM till 9 PM
    High School Rabbit Springs Rd Lucerne Valley

Saturday May 22, 2010
    Drivers Meeting 12:00 Noon at Start line
    at Camp Rock Rd Starting area.
    Race Start at 1:00 PM
    Total Time Limit 131/2 Hours---11/2 hour more than last year.
    Must have time to finish final lap to go out on your last lap

74 Mile Course
    Classes 1,10,12,5,1600----6 Laps==444 miles
    Classes 1400,3000,1350,9,5/16,----5 Laps==370 miles
    Classes 1700,7s,8, 1450,1300,----4 Laps==296 miles
    Classes 11, 3,----3 Laps==222 miles
    Other classes to be discided

Sunday May 23rd
    8 AM till 9 AM
    1 mile course, 10 Laps
    "F&L Trophy Kart Challenge"
    Awards 10:30

Sweet.. we should be able to make it in time now. If we don't break anything.
    As for Driver changes Pepper will drive as long as she can/wants too or if I think she is getting to tired and making mistakes I will then have her pit at the main pits and we will switch.
    If everything goes to plan we will have one big pit stop at around dinner time to take in a banana and put on sweatshirts. Check over Kitt really well and fuel her. We usually get out of the car and during this pit stop for a stretch, restroom etc.
    That is if we have stayed in for this long and have had no problems. The last two races that is what we did. We stop each lap for just a quick look over, something to drink and a splash of fuel and off we go. Then do a big pit stop like I said around 9 or 10pm when its cold to do what I said.

If something goes wrong you just adjust, improvise and make it up as you go.

Pitting on the other side is really easy as you can use Bessermer Mine rd to make 2 other pit/check stops for your car over there. One at the rock pile when you come out of the little death valley section and one after your back from the super fast section just before you head into the weird cement hills section???

When I see the map and compare it to the last 4 years I can tell you more.

For sure take it easy as this is a long event.
    All you have to do to finish is run a 30mph average. The lap Wendy followed Pepper we ran a 32.4 mph average so you can either slow down so you don't break down or stay the same and have time built up in case you need to fix a flat or something?? That strategy is up to you. We slow down and take it easy. At the last 4 races we never had a flat etc. why others had as many as 8 flats!
    The brake down rate was something like 60% of all cars Did Not Finish.

Well cool I can't wait this is my favorite race of the year. I used to drive the entire race so I loved that challenge. Pepper does not have to as I am looking forward to helping her do some driving. But she is going to drive as much as she can first before I get a chance behind the wheel.
    Last edited by TutTech; 04-01-2010 at 09:43 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Well be setting a reasonable pace, probably follow Wendy's and Pepper's lead on that. Finishing is my primary goal. I suspect we'll set a slightly faster pace while we can during the day and have to back off a little at night.

So far, we haven't had any flats either, so I'm not overlly concerned with that. Being as how we only have the one spare...risky to say the least. Oh well. We will have to have a couple of spare CVT belts, JIC.

The idea of pitting every lap makes sense, especially since adding some fuel then would be helpfull. I suspect each of us will drive 2 laps using the rotation we planned for the last race, so there's always someone in the car that's familiar with the course.

I don't even know where the course is for this race. Do you know where you'll be pitting?

9. Collapse Details
    ORAF Update:

The ROYAL PURPLE/ORAF 500

Schedule of Events
    Friday May 21, 2010
    Tech and Contingency 4 PM till 9 PM
    High School Rabbit Springs Rd Lucerne Valley

Saturday May 22, 2010
    Drivers Meeting 12:00 Noon at Start line
    at Camp Rock Rd Starting area.
    Race Start at 1:00 PM
    Total Time Limit 131/2 Hours---11/2 hour more than last year.
    Must have time to finish final lap to go out on your last lap

74 Mile Course
    Classes 1,10,12,5,1600----6 Laps==444 miles
    Classes 1400,3000,1350,9,5/16,----5 Laps==370 miles
    Classes 1700,7s,8, 1450,1300,----4 Laps==296 miles
    Classes 11, 3,----3 Laps==222 miles
    Other classes to be discided

Sunday May 23rd
    8 AM till 9 AM
    1 mile course, 10 Laps
    "F&L Trophy Kart Challenge"
    Awards 10:30

10. Collapse Details
    man they changed the info in just one day??? dang

You can pit anwhere along the dry lake bed all the way up to the first rd crossing all just off the side of Camp Rock Rd. Anywhere a long that 2 miles is open and great for pits. That's what we do every year. It just works better. Start finish is easy to get to and pitting is flat and just off camp rock and all along the course.

Simple and easy just find a spot.

Then send a chase or support to the other side of whichever we don't pit at to be half way accross the course in case you need anything.
    Or even if you just hit a boulder or what not they can take a look over you car and let you know your ok with out doing a full pit. Or pull into them to change a flat.

The course is really rough, really fast, really rough, really fast... Seriously just as you think you can't take how rough the course is you are back on a fast section and off you go.... then back into a rough and then back into a fast... I really like the course and the long laps are well long and you have to really pay attention to rocks, ruts, best lines to take and remember all that so next lap as things become more torn up from everyone you pick the best and fastest lines etc.

I can't wait.

Anyone planning on comeing out?
    I am pretty sure ElDiablo is going to try to bring his new desert race car out for some testing and maybe pre teching of it to see how well they did on setting everything for safety up.
    That will be cool.

Also here is some video taken at our pits.. nothing to big but just shows our pits having fun and us a little. Here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijIsa...eature=related
    Last edited by TutTech; 04-01-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast