1. Collapse Details
    How Much for that Buggy in the Window?
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    This question was prompted by a recent post where the discussion touched on the total cost to build a buggy.

It's not unusual to see a post from a new member who's excited to build a buggy now that they have an engine, or frame or whatever and they wonder what they can do "on a budget". Well the terms "budget" and "buggy" are somewhat nebulous. I would like to better define those terms for some first time builders so they can get a realistic idea of what it will cost and what features they can get in a buggy for x dollars.

For example, I started out with a Murray go kart that I bought for my kids. It had a 6 hp engine and no suspension. The frame itself was adult-sized and really solid, so I used that as the basis for my build. I chopped off the front and rear and started over. What I had when I was finished was:

Dual A-arm front end
    Home-built rack and pinion
    Dual chain trailing arms
    20 inch front and 22 inch rear tires
    28 hp Briggs Vanguard Engine (new and modified)
    Comet Duster clutches

This "buggy" is great for trail riding and is acceptable for riding on medium-sized dunes. I estimate that I put about $3500 in the project over a period of two years, not counting the cost of the original go kart. I could have saved myself some money using a donor snowmobile for the engine and clutches, but that is one of those things you learn as you build.

So, what kind of bang for the buck were you able to get out of your build and did you use a swing arm, CV axles, dual-chain, differential, etc and what did that add to the cost of the overall build? How did you keep the cost down, or did you go all out for the ultimate ride?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: How Much for that Buggy in the Window?
    I tried to make mine on a budget... didn't work so well

I think I have about $4500 Canadian into mine, could be more. I have single a-arm front end and a swing-arm rear end (check in out in my signature link).

3. Collapse Details
    Spring Valley, CA (San Diego, East county)
    It is beter not to try to add up the $$$$. If it is just for fun then keep it that way and remember this hobby costs money. You will not make money, and if you thing you are breaking even you are wrong........add up your time.

If this is the way you make a living then you must crunch the numbers. For the rest of us tube bending weld burners in the garage late at night, It's all money in the bank if your wife aint bitchen about it too much and you get to drive it. I think the ratio has been stated; for every eight hours of working on it, you get about eight minutes of riding time.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezzrats View Post
    for every eight hours of working on it, you get about eight minutes of riding time.
    Are you talking about wives or buggies? I'm confused . . .

5. Collapse Details
    You definitely don't have to spend 10k+ to have a good buggy. I bought a running buggy from a guy for $500. It had an ATV swing arm in the back which absolutely sucked so i made my own independent rear suspension. I used a spare Civic differential, axles and hubs, all i had laying around from my street car projects. I designed some plates on Solidworks and had Rick S. cut them for me. I ditched the Yamaha 340 engine it came with, i bought a complete running 440 Exciter sled for $300 locally. That was nice for a year and i just bought and fit a Yamaha 570 sled engine. Total cost i'm under $2500 easily.