Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    MEGALODON project build by badlandbuggy.com
    May 19, 2011: We've starting posting pics of our MEGALODON buggy project during fabrication. Here's a few photos, I could only upload 3 photos at a time here, so I've uploaded dozens more photos on our Facebook page to check out (Badland Buggy - Automotive - Leduc, Alberta | Facebook). If you like it, don't forget to "Like Us" on Facebook.

So far we've received the rear brakes, rear wheel hubs, drive axles, CV joints, steering components & laser cut steel plates for the front suspension, throttle pedal, some chassis fab & most of the steering system. We're expecting delivery of the Jeffco reverse gearbox tomorrow.

Our fabrication plan is to fabricate the front suspension as a complete assembly, build the rear suspension/drive system as a full assembly, fabricate the MEGALODON chassis frame then bolt the three systems together. Then we will install the steering system & seat with racing harness. We've checked out a few engines already yet we've haven't purchased one just yet as we're waiting for the reverse gearbox to arrive first. I'm leaning towards the 1300cc Hayabusa mainly because it has oodles of power. I'm familiar with installing the Honda CBR1000RR, so that's a forerunner too.

After we receive the reverse gear box this week & we have confirmed that the series of laser cut plates that we've designed for the modular rear drive system are good to issue for fabrication, then we will order the laser cut steel, which typically takes 1-2 weeks.

We haven't decided on final tire sizes & types just yet either. Looking at running & testing this vehicle mainly in dunes, desert & sand in the southern US, thus, sand paddles for the rear may be in order, rather than the UTV tires we show in our concepts & our youtube video. There's only a few sand dunes here in Alberta, that's why we typically run with ATV or UTV tires around here.

I'll post more photos both to this thread on minibuggy.net & mainly to our Facebook page, simply because it's faster & easier at our end. Thanks for checking this out & I look forward to your ongoing comments.

Cheers,

Bruce
    badlandbuggy.com

2. Collapse Details
    Re: MEGALODON project build by badlandbuggy.com
    Since your in Alberta, have you thought of testing at St. Anthony's in Idaho? Nice large dune complex, hailed as the Glamis of the north west.
    KrunchWorkz
    ---------------------------------------------
    Famous last words..... Dude watch this!

3. Collapse Details
    So another point I noticed, that may help out some and reduce cost a few bucks. You are using suspension bushings from Energy suspension. What bolt size are those? They look like 3/4, but I may be wrong.

Another method would be to purchase SACO bushings Products

Then make your own sleave out of 1 1/8 .188 wall DOM. This will give you the 3/4 bolt and the SACO bushings are cheap. They even do wholesale/jobber rate i believe so you can most likely get them for less than the $3.00 each.
    KrunchWorkz
    ---------------------------------------------
    Famous last words..... Dude watch this!

4. Collapse Details
    Bruce,
    It costs more money, but I feel you would be remiss in your duties as a designer if you did not choose the Busa powerplant. This engine probably has the most power out there ( ZX-14 could be a contender too...

The Busa will really put you design to the test and if it can handle the Busa it can handle
    anything.

Others might agree.
    Glock n Ballz
    Ft. Worth, Tx

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchWorkz View Post
    Since your in Alberta, have you thought of testing at St. Anthony's in Idaho? Nice large dune complex, hailed as the Glamis of the north west.
    Been to St. Anthony, Idaho in 2008, it's a cool place! My friend has a place in Arizona, so we're thinking of trailering the MEGALODON down that way to do some testing this fall.
    Last edited by badlandbuggy; 05-20-2011 at 08:50 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchWorkz View Post
    So another point I noticed, that may help out some and reduce cost a few bucks. You are using suspension bushings from Energy suspension. What bolt size are those? They look like 3/4, but I may be wrong.

Another method would be to purchase SACO bushings Products

Then make your own sleave out of 1 1/8 .188 wall DOM. This will give you the 3/4 bolt and the SACO bushings are cheap. They even do wholesale/jobber rate i believe so you can most likely get them for less than the $3.00 each.
    The Energy Suspension Bushings we're using all accept 1/2" bolts with the metal sleeve inside. We got them shipped to Canada from the US, and with shipping & duty they worked out to around $8-10 each Canadian. I'll check out the SACO bushings too. Thanks!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock n Ballz View Post
    Bruce,
    It costs more money, but I feel you would be remiss in your duties as a designer if you did not choose the Busa powerplant. This engine probably has the most power out there ( ZX-14 could be a contender too...

The Busa will really put you design to the test and if it can handle the Busa it can handle
    anything.

Others might agree.
    'Busa would be the way to go, I agree. We're thinking about a turbo kit too. We've got a local motorcycle recycler keeping their eyes out for a few. Motorcycle season has just started back up here in Alberta (long winter, lol), thus, it won't be long before we start seeing more motorcycles ending up at the recyclers!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by badlandbuggy View Post
    'Busa would be the way to go, I agree. We're thinking about a turbo kit too. We've got a local motorcycle recycler keeping their eyes out for a few. Motorcycle season has just started back up here in Alberta (long winter, lol), thus, it won't be long before we start seeing more motorcycles ending up at the recyclers!
    Cool deal Bruce,

I live 2 miles from one of the biggest motorcycle recyclers in Texas.

www.mrmotorcycledfw.com/

If you like I can ask Mike (the owner) if he has any Busa Powerplants...

DO you have a year preference?

You can PM me what you are looking to spend on an engine.

I am going by there again this afternoon to get the correct rectifier for my TL1KR..
    Glock n Ballz
    Ft. Worth, Tx

9. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    Quote Originally Posted by badlandbuggy View Post
    Been to St. Anthony, Idaho in 2008, it's a cool place! My friend has a place in Arizona, so we're thinking of trailering the MEGALODON down that way to do some testing this fall.

Keep us posted on that, I live in Arizona and would like to see it.

10. Collapse Details
    Jeffco reverse gearbox arrived today. Amazing quality, excellent machining, I'm impressed. I work with machining shops everyday (and my father, R.I.P., was a machinist for 37 years, so I've been around it all my life) Jeffco's quality ranks up there with some of the best machining shops i've been around over the past 40 years. Thanks Shawn at Jeffco! Well done.

Did a quick mechanical assembly with 930 CV's, axles and the wheel hubs, just to test fit the driveline. Everything fits like a glove. That's cool. Got to check the actual gearbox dim's against the mechanical design we did a few weeks back, then it's time to order laser cut steel for the Modular Rear Drive System next week.

Photos to come this weekend showing the major assembled driveline components. Already posted some more new photos to Twitter and Facebook (from phone) if you want to check them out.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast