Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Expensive hobbies?
    I hear you on the crew thing Ham. The boat (and I) scared more than a few people away. I was 150lbs soaking wet at that point and I had to source big crew to sail the 14 in anything over 15kts. Big = slow and slow doesn't work well on a skiff. I would try to tell people that we were going to crash and crash hard at some point. They never believed me. They should have. Before we got on the boat I would tell them to jump off the rails and away from the boat the second the sprit touched the water. They didn't listen and usually went into the shrouds. And they used to laugh at me when I wore a ski helmet. The people that came back brought a helmet the next time. Crazy crazy boats. Like I said, drowning is pretty peaceful. Suck water, fight it for a few seconds, and then the tunnel vision just closes into blackness. It's just like getting choked out. No life flashing before your eyes. No white light. Lots of puking when you get revived though. The headache lasts a few days as well.

I'm a pretty big fan of Vortex. I just can't justify spending super big money on glass at my current skill level. I'll be putting a Vortex on my new LR308 build. I'm going a little nuts on the .308. Matched Aero Precision upper and lower, Rainier Ultra Match 20", ultra match BCG, Geissele trigger, PRS stock, and yes, I plan on shooting this 38lb rifle prone.

I don't have a ton of guns but the ones I have are pretty nice.

What are you guys shooting for hand guns? I got over my USPs and Sig Ps. I'm pretty much riding the 1911 bandwagon exclusively at this point. I wouldn't mind another 226R though.
    Last edited by flyerrider; 06-27-2015 at 04:01 AM.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerrider View Post
    I hear you on the crew thing Ham...... Crazy crazy boats. Like I said, drowning is pretty peaceful. Suck water, fight it for a few seconds, and then the tunnel vision just closes into blackness. It's just like getting choked out. No life flashing before your eyes. No white light. Lots of puking when you get revived though. The headache lasts a few days as well.

I'm a pretty big fan of Vortex. I just can't justify spending super big money on glass at my current skill level. I'll be putting a Vortex on my new LR308 build. I'm going a little nuts on the .308. Matched Aero Precision upper and lower, Rainier Ultra Match 20", ultra match BCG, Geissele trigger, PRS stock, and yes, I plan on shooting this 38lb rifle prone.

I don't have a ton of guns but the ones I have are pretty nice.

What are you guys shooting for hand guns? I got over my USPs and Sig Ps. I'm pretty much riding the 1911 bandwagon exclusively at this point. I wouldn't mind another 226R though.
    Amazing story about the near drowning mate. Glad you're here to tell the tale and appreciate you sharing. when you go in, I always explain that its like jumping out of a car doing 30. No one believes you until it happens... then they wished that they listened. Nothing beats that feeling though when it just works though. Its hard to explain to anyone just how awesome it is flying on nothing but wind power.

I shoot prone. I think you guys call it palma in the states. No rest, no optics, just iron sights and a sling. I shot today at 800m and held a group under 2 mins the whole day with factory ammo. The rifle shoots better than that, but it has been a fair while between shots and I'm out of practice. I was still pretty happy, 98/100 for today. I'll post some pics up tomorrow. Its a crazy looking rifle.

I hear you on the vortex. I have heard good things about them but haven't seen them up close. I hear the SWFA Super Snipers are very robust too. They have a fixed power 20x scope that i'm eyeing off for the lapua build. They also just put a 5 year prison sentence on importing gun parts illegally. Not sure how far this extends... as in I know triggers and barrels are off limits, but not sure about stocks and scopes. Its a pain as stuff is heaps cheaper in the states but its not worth risking a prison sentence by ordering from the states and saving a few hundred dollars on a scope.

As for the handgun question... well thats an interesting subject down here. In 1996 there was a massacre with a gunman who killed over 30 people with a semi auto rifle. They got really strict on gun laws here after that. Here are some of the main points of our gun laws here:

- you need a reason... hunting, pest control, and target shooting are reasons. Defence is not. You have to get a licence to shoot at all. For a while you couldn't even shoot under direct supervision at a range without a licence, but they have changed that now so you can at least try shooting as a sport without needing to get a licence (costs a few hundred dollars to get a licence and you need to do a 1 day safety course)
    - With the above licence you can get a bolt action rimfire, centrefire, or double barrel shotgun. Pump action shottys are banned but you can get pump rimfires and centrefires. Mags are limited to 10 rounds.
    - Also need to store rifles in a safe, with bolt and ammo in a separate safe.

- Semi auto's are next to impossible to get and require special licences, stronger safes, more checks etc. Reasons are purely for farmers with pests in plague proportions, or professional vermin control shooters (Kangaroos destroy farming here. And Camels surprisingly)

- the only legitimate reason to have a handgun is to shoot it in competition. Can't have one for hunting/pest control. You need a safe from fort knox and there are very few places that let you shoot pistols. I never bothered with getting my handgun licence as there are just too many hoops and my club doesn't shoot them for that reason. I think you can get most of whats available in the states, just not a .50 cal, and mag capacity is limited to 10. Think there are overall size limits too

Man, your LR308 sounds awesome! I wish we were allowed that kind of equipment down here. I can't really complain though, the gun laws worked and there has been no mass shootings since. Can't argue with the results. Also, i'm a big accuracy fan, and I'd probably end up with bolt guns anyway.

Also, Love this thread idea. Its amazing how much we all have in common outside buggies.

3. Collapse Details
    I don't have nearly the stories. My upbringing seems to be a lot like you guys though. Had a home made go kart. Rickety little thing. Clutch always stuck so it would never go less than 5MPH so if you forgot to shut it off when you got out off she went. The chase was on.

Went to racing dirt bikes early on, ended on a bad crash my senior year in high school. As a high school kid making $6 an hour, that was an expensive hobby. Spending $100 every time you bent your handle bars or $20 for a new shift lever. Brutal.

Being from MN we did a lot of snowmobiling also. Man I love those things. Nothing like burning through the north woods on a clear cold night.

Full circle, GUNS. My family is big into hunting and trap shooting. My uncle has a trailer mounted 3 turret thrower, so each year we get together in fall and trap shoot for a day. What a blast.

4. Collapse Details
    flyerrider, Every AR I have built is mostly Rainier Arms and I go to them almost exclusively. During the "big scare" after Sandy Hook, when everyone was raising prices on everything, Rainier didn't raise a single price! I even called them and told them how much I appreciated them. As far as handguns, I like my Sigs.....226 is about as reliable as there is, love mine.

Hambam, the SWFA scopes are nice too, here in the states I go to their site for all brands of scopes and their actual store is about three and a half hours from my house.

I figured we all had a lot in common and most of us have the alpha male personality, it's almost a must to race anything!

5. Collapse Details
    Thank You!

6. Collapse Details
    JGS, it just clicked. Are you the JGS as in JGS chamber reamers etc?

7. Collapse Details
    I've always been a hobby guy. When younger, I would bmx race, race RC offroad, skateboard and play sports(baseball, soccer, etc). Then in high school, moved onto to mainly sports(football, baseball and golf) and mtn biking. During and After college, stuck with golf... Even tried to go pro years ago. Not near as easy as you would think. Over the last ten years, I have been into motorcycles, off-roading(side by sides), fabrication and RC offroad racing again.

This last year has been more about family time, but I'm starting to get back to the hobbies more and more these days.

Anyways, it's been interesting reading the replies in here. Thanks for sharing.

8. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambam View Post
    JGS, it just clicked. Are you the JGS as in JGS chamber reamers etc?
    Yes, bread/butter.
    JGSFAB- CNC'n everything I can. What to see more?
    www.facebook.com/jgsfab or jgsfab on instagram.
    And don't forget jgsturbocom on youtube

9. Collapse Details
    For me, the camping, bikes and fishing (North face gear, rapalas and ugly sticks aint' cheap when you're a teen) were the most expensive hobbies. Raced Bmx then XC, DS and DH from 1976 til 2003. Got to the point that the DH rig i wanted to build was gonna set me back 3 to 5k and i had less and less time to ride and race. Still have everythign from my PK ripper to my Cannodale race rigs hanging in the basement.
    Racing fast or stupid cars has been there all along the way. Still have my '73 SD Formy, haven't drag raced in about 5 years though. Need to get the 'ol girl registered and insured again. Eventually the plan is to run it in the SCCA NE hillclimb series. There's an MGA project waiting in the wings that's about half done. Buggies have consumed me for the past 4-5 years and are proving to be the most time-expensive of all ...

10. Collapse Details
    Always wanted a PK Ripper.

I still have a Redline Stu Thompson signature series, that I still ride to impress my kids.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast