Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Expensive hobbies?
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    If I didn't have the shop and wasn't able to sell parts to support my hobbies I doubt I'd be doing much more than video games LOL. Thankfully such isn't the case.
    Started with car audio, then turbochargers and street cars and now Dunes and buggies because its better than getting cuffed for triple digit speeds. A day use pass is cheaper than 1 track day and its always open.
    JGSFAB- CNC'n everything I can. What to see more?
    www.facebook.com/jgsfab or jgsfab on instagram.
    And don't forget jgsturbocom on youtube

2. Collapse Details
    My old man sailed racing yachts across oceans. A sail for one of these things costs as much as my buggy. I guess he was a bad influence on me. He retired to the country and with 300 acres backing onto miles and miles of logging trails it was only a matter of time before I started a buggy build. I wanted one since I was about 12.

Buggies... well obviously

Target shooting. I'm not talking about bunny busters here, I have a custom built high end target rifle that holds one hole groups at 200 yards, and I regularly shoot up to 1000 yards. Gun laws are quite strict in Australia which makes some things here cost far more than they should. A 10 round AR style mag is around $100 where as I hear they are $15-20 in the states as an example. No mags for me though, if you need more than one shot you're doing it wrong . Currently building a 338 lapua capable of putting rounds on target up to around 1800m in the right conditions.

Sailing. I just sold the boat though so thankfully that's an expense gone. Those stupid stainless steel fittings are ridiculously expensive. Luckily it was only a small boat and the guy paid me more than it was worth... . It was on a trailer in the yard so now I have a car space free. That is VERY dangerous.

Girlfriend. Most expensive hobby of all.

3. Collapse Details
    Hambam, I looked into the 338 Lapua and even here it is pricey but man do the ballistics make me drool! I'm into the 6.5's now, such an efficient bullet. I'm working on a 6.5x284 (Norma) and a 6.5 Grendel (for one of my AR's). That Norma has more energy at 500 meters than the 300 winmag!

4. Collapse Details
    Yep. Started with downhill mountain bikes and nitro RC cars in high school. Always wanted a dirtbike but my parents said not while you're in my house . Probably a good call given my affinity for hurting myself. Already had a 5 and 9 horse go carts so I bought a unfinished mini from a friend to calm the go fast bug before I got my license (didn't end up driving it until long after that though). I think there's maybe 3 parts from that thing left on it now, it was basically scrap but it got me started. Then I got a Jeep and sunk 3 times what it was worth of parts into it. Got old enough to get a dirtbike but by then I didn't know anyone that rode anymore, until my brother got one a few months back. Went out and bought one right after than, 3 weeks later my bro broke his leg riding and now it's sat collecting dust. My dad and I also have a pair of little racing sailboats (Hobie 16's), they're pretty cheap aside from driving to regattas.

Still have all that stuff (+ several small loaders and lawnmowers, 3 more family boats, and trailers for everything), but with the amount of time it takes to keep it all maintained I hardly have time to use it . Sometimes I think having simpler hobbies would be nice...then I stand on the gas pedal and change my mind

5. Collapse Details
    Hobies are super fun! I grew up racing dingies. Started in Sabots and Optis and then moved on to FJs, 420s, and International 420s. I was too small to be competitive in Lasers in anything over 10kts. It was my dad's thing and I was never really that into it until I got into International 14s. Those are stupid fun. Double traps, a crazy amount of sail area, an asymmetric kite, and 200lbs. We would easily see over 20kts on reaches in 18kts of breeze. Sailing took me all over the US and Western Europe before I was 18. World Championships (2nd place), Olympic trials (6th place in Tornadoes), National Championships (6th), High School National Champions (3 times). Then I drowned in big air during an Olympic training clinic and was completely over it. I still have the scar on my left thumb from trying to cut away the spinnaker sheets with my rigging knife when I was tangled up underwater. I liked dirtbikes WAAAAAAAAAY more anyway.

Drowning is a pretty peaceful way to die BTW...
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

6. Collapse Details
    Wow you have a hell of a lot more experience than I do haha. I took a 3 day sailing school on a FJ when I was 12, my dad picked me up an old 16 the next year. First time sailing it was in a race, 20 knot breeze and they set a B mark...pitchpoled it on a broad reach...my crew landed 15 feet in front of the boat and I somehow snagged the bridle with my trap harness on the way past and wound up stuck. That just just about turned me off them, I can't imagine being stuck underwater like that.

Those racing skiffs look mental. I sailed on an F18 a few times and when you pop that chute you're sure going for a ride. Doing that on one hull must be nuts. It's a hell of a lot of work compared with the beach cats as well . Saw a Flying Phantom out on the water last weekend too, 30 knots in 15 knots of wind...if only I had a spare $60k laying around

7. Collapse Details
    Experience? probably. Fun? Probably not. I mostly remember freezing my ass off on SF Bay and Lake Michigan. It was nuts. Traveling cost a fortune (I paid for half of it which is a TON of money for a teenager), I was gone almost every weekend during the winter and literally all summer and I was working 2 night jobs during the week to pay for something I really didn't want to do. I really had no life other than that. Plus, I didn't fit in. While everyone was sitting around talking about the next race, or the rule changes, what university was scouting them, or the next up and comer, I was on the phone with friends trying to figure out track days or reading some MX mag. I never fit in. I was on the wrong side of the tracks. Chicks in Europe really love American guys though

Now that I look back on it, it was a great experience. I pulled the plug on it a year too early though. I was slotted to do a bunch of racing in Aus and NZ the year I quit. It would have kept me off the bikes and out of the hospital which probably would have been a good thing. My dad still hates me for quitting though...
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by EB313 View Post
    Hambam, I looked into the 338 Lapua and even here it is pricey but man do the ballistics make me drool! I'm into the 6.5's now, such an efficient bullet. I'm working on a 6.5x284 (Norma) and a 6.5 Grendel (for one of my AR's). That Norma has more energy at 500 meters than the 300 winmag!
    I'm building it on an old BRNO magnum action. It is one of the cheaper options. Looking at glass for it at the moment and Everything I read says nightforce is the cheapest option, and I don't have a spare $1500.

I would love to go the 6.5 option in my target rifle, but the class I shoot in is limited to either .223 rem or .308 win, and 99% go the .308 option. Its got more legs after 600 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerrider View Post
    Hobies are super fun! I grew up racing dingies. Started in Sabots and Optis and then moved on to FJs, 420s, and International 420s. I was too small to be competitive in Lasers in anything over 10kts. It was my dad's thing and I was never really that into it until I got into International 14s. Those are stupid fun. Double traps, a crazy amount of sail area, an asymmetric kite, and 200lbs. We would easily see over 20kts on reaches in 18kts of breeze. Sailing took me all over the US and Western Europe before I was 18. World Championships (2nd place), Olympic trials (6th place in Tornadoes), National Championships (6th), High School National Champions (3 times). Then I drowned in big air during an Olympic training clinic and was completely over it. I still have the scar on my left thumb from trying to cut away the spinnaker sheets with my rigging knife when I was tangled up underwater. I liked dirtbikes WAAAAAAAAAY more anyway.

Drowning is a pretty peaceful way to die BTW...
    The boat I just sold was a 16 foot skiff. Very similar to the i14 but 16 feet and sailed 3 up, with 2 on the trap. It was the Australian champion boat in 91, and 25 years later it still put a smile on your face. whenever you popped the chute, i always felt like there was a 50-50 chance of eating it. Great fun.

I have been stuck on the trap line a few times and its not pleasant. Usually only for 5-10 seconds so I can't complain, but I hate to think what it was like to almost drown. Glad you didn't mate!

I was keen to keep sailing, but I had so many problems getting regular crew. People were always keen to 'go for a sail', So often I'd take someone out a few times, have them break a bunch of stuff learning their job, then after we were almost working as a crew, they'd give up and not come out again. Very frustrating.

9. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I forgot all about racing and playing on 550 jet skis - the original pwc. I still like them over any sit down.
    PJS reed cylinder and a 440 pump would tear your arms off if you weren't ready for it.

Also sailed Hobie Cats when I was in high school - nothing like taking a 16 footer out in 8' seas and small craft advisories. We could double jump waves if we caught enough wind under the trampoline.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambam View Post
    I'm building it on an old BRNO magnum action. It is one of the cheaper options. Looking at glass for it at the moment and Everything I read says nightforce is the cheapest option, and I don't have a spare $1500.
    Nightforce is a great scope, but I believe it is a tad over hyped by some. The high end Leupold scopes (you shoot it, send your data, and they send you custom turrets) are in the same league. Huskemaw makes awesome scopes as well. I have never put hands on one or looked through them but Vortex has a couple of FFP scopes that are your best bet under a grand.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast