Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The X-bird De-Mothballed!
    So the mini-buggy disease really put a dent in the time I used to devote to my other wheeled love affair. An e-mail the other day from an old friend prompted me to make some several-year overdue repairs and start towards putting the beast back on the road ... Took a 1 mile trip for fuel, no ins. or registration on it so i had to avoid the temptation of assaulting some of my favorite back roads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41_bL...ature=youtu.be

and yes, she's running a bit rich up top ...

2. Collapse Details
    Re: The X-bird De-Mothballed!
    Nice! I'm working on restoring a 74 Challenger these days so my buggy building is taking a bit of a back seat for a while. I'm not a GM guy, so what is that? Camaro?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by daaboots View Post
    Nice! I'm working on restoring a 74 Challenger these days so my buggy building is taking a bit of a back seat for a while. I'm not a GM guy, so what is that? Camaro?

Pontiac ... We odd ducks have a thing about our bird's being called camaros.

4. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I have a '79 Firebird. My wife is the original owner and it was the car she drove when we were dating. After we got married, it was the family car for several years until the kids outgrew it, then it was my commuting car, then my son's high school car. Until recently, my daughter drove it to high school and then she went off to college with it.

These days, it sits parked on the curb next to the house. It taunts me regularly because it runs great, but the body needs some work. I had the rear quarter-panels replaced and a new paint job put on the beast a few years ago. The guy worked out of his garage, so I got a great "deal" on the price. Well, the Bondo plastered over the quarter-panel seams is cracking. Also some doofus backed into the drivers-side door one night and didn't bother owning up to it.

It needs thousands of dollars invested in it to bring it back to its former glory, but . . .

Sadly, since it is a 1979, it's not a real collectible. The engine is a small-block V8 (Pontiac 301) that only GM ever loved. No performance parts or enhancements worth pursuing. The V8 engine is really smooth compared to the 4 and 6 cylinder engines used today and it cruises at 90 without breaking a sweat, but my 3.5L Pontiac G6 is way faster off-the-line.
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 08-27-2014 at 07:34 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    I have a '79 Firebird. My wife is the original owner and it was the car she drove when we were dating. After we got married, it was the family car for several years until the kids outgrew it, then it was my commuting car, then my son's high school car. Until recently, my daughter drove it to high school and then she went off to college with it.

These days, it sits parked on the curb next to the house. It taunts me regularly because it runs great, but the body needs some work. I had the rear quarter-panels replaced and a new paint job put on the beast a few years ago. The guy worked out of his garage, so I got a great "deal" on the price. Well, the Bondo plastered over the quarter-panel seams is cracking. Also some doofus backed into the drivers-side door one night and didn't bother owning up to it.

It needs thousands of dollars invested in it to bring it back to its former glory, but . . .

Sadly, since it is a 1979, it's not a real collectible. The engine is a small-block V8 (Pontiac 301) that only GM ever loved. No performance parts or enhancements worth pursuing. The V8 engine is really smooth compared to the 4 and 6 cylinder engines used today and it cruises at 90 without breaking a sweat, but my 3.5L Pontiac G6 is way faster off-the-line.
    These days with the price of paint and labor, resto of anything but the really desirable muscle is a losing proposition dollars-wise.
    In the last 5-6 years there have been several guys making turbo 301s go fast ... way faster than anyone thought possible. There were some good design aspects to that engine, but coming out in the smog era followed shortly thereafter by the end of PMD left it out in the cold and lonely.

6. Collapse Details
    Soo the poor old beastie got kicked out of the garage so I could pull the engine and do a rebuild on the wife's subie . finished up that mess today. She's never been stored outside since i've had her, so that was rather painful.

Only one way to reclaim it's rightful place in the garage ...
    SD smoke - YouTube

7. Collapse Details
    NIce!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    yup,,,,,,cool disappearing act indeed

9. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Quote Originally Posted by daaboots View Post
    what is that? Camaro?
    Themz fightin words man
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

10. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    I smelled burnt rubber thru my computer!! Tech is cool!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast