Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: 1/2 Scale Crawler in the UK
    After suitably recovering for the 1 million holes I drilled for the centre belly pan, I stupidly decided to drill another 3 million.
    I kicked up the edge of the seating area floor pan giving clearance and so it would raise the body up a little.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. Collapse Details
    More lower chassis work.
    That's all the holes drilled and flared. I can remember how relieved I was that the floor was done.
    I folded over the end sheet to make a sort of box section. I didn't think that another tube in there was needed.

3. Collapse Details
    I started on the triangulation tying the outer ends into the central battery cage.
    I also put tube vertically on the ends with a washer welded on top, giving me mounting points for the A and B pillars of the cage.
    I wanted the cage to be light weight and removal. I also didn't need it to be structurally integral to the chassis, so I could change it anytime I needed to.

So you can see that the front and rear upper bars are fitted in. Plating the front was pretty simple just a few measurements with a steel rule was all that I needed. The rear plating was a but more tricky.

The lower chassis is taking shape now with all four batteries fitted.

4. Collapse Details
    The rear plating was completed with the aid of the good old Cardboard Aided Design.

The lower chassis is pretty much as it is today. Just with a few tabs and brackets added.

5. Collapse Details
    I made a mockup driveshaft out of aluminium. Mainly to see if it would have any change in driveshaft length throughout the cycling of the travel, to see if there was any binding, and also to see how much it would need offsetting to allow for the shock and steering.

The bearing carriers were bolted up to some 3mm aluminium plate and it was set on some 25mm angle steel as the start of the mounting points in the chassis

The angle was drilled and notched to reduce mass and the aluminium drive assembly was bolted in set back as far back as I could to allow for the winch I had planned to go in the space.
    I was planning to put a winch plate on just for show but a Warn came up for a good price at just the right time....

I cut out a bit of the mounting plate, looks a bit funky but I'm not a machinist and it's the best I could do.

6. Collapse Details
    The front and rear driveline is mounted now.

It's time to move along to the suspension. I ordered some motorcycle shocks from the world's favourite marketplace and a sweatshop in the far East sent me these golden beauties. I can't remember the specs of them but I'm sure I've got the link saved somewhere.

The mounting of the shocks was pure guesswork if I'm honest. I knew the stroke and estimated the weight of the bike they were for and roughly compared it to the weight of the buggy, anyway they went where they fitted and I made a couple of fixing points on the lower a-arms.

I swapped the uprights around as the space for the steering tie rods would be at the front. I would have preferred them to be tucked away in the rear but that's where they ended.

The shock tower was built with the aid of Cardboard Aided Design again and I'm pretty pleased with how they came out.

The lower chassis with the front making good progress

7. Collapse Details
    A pic of the warn winch. It fits between the shock tower and the redesigned front plate. Space is starting to become a premium in the front there so I know getting the steering right was going to be difficult for me.

The brake calipers and master cylinders arrived so I set to work fitting the front one in.

The rear shock tower was knocked up in a similar fashion to the front. I left the top flat as I wanted the rear bed to sit on top.

A few close ups of the caliper mounted

I had to notch a bit of the chassis out for the caliper to slide. And the aluminium mounting plate.

8. Collapse Details
    Big day in the little workshop. Wheels arrived. I went for 25x8 quad wheels I think the pcd was 4x108. Well that's what I ordered. 2 different pcds were sent. However I got them cheap and they were the last set. So I remade 2 of the wheel hubs to match the wheels.

9. Collapse Details
    I got to work fitting the wheels and I was pretty happy at this point. It started to resemble a buggy.
    I think it was at this point I wanted to re-do the seats. I only made one so it was no big loss.

10. Collapse Details
    I wanted the tie rods to be in double shear but they were too far down and the angle was pretty extreme. I made a pin out of phosphor bronze as I had a little left over. So I knocked up 4 and used a M6 csk head bolt to secure the joint onto the top. I had to chamfer the top of the bolt but it turned out well. I was experimenting with different steering ideas but nothing felt right.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast