Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Predator 13 hp engines
    Some of my grandkids are outgrowing the roll cage of their mini buggy which is powered by a 6.5 HP Predator engine and a GTC self contained torque convertor.
    I am considering a new build using the Harbour Freight Predator 13 hp engine.
    I have been very pleased with the 6.5 Predator and GTC self contained TC.
    I have been waiting for GTC to come out with a self contained TC for the 13 hp engine. Go Karts USA says that GTC is developing a self contained TC but it has not been ready to market yet.

1. Does the Harbour Freight Predator 13 hp engine have a good reputation like the 6.5 does.
    2. Are there other engines to consider in this power range?
    3. Is it worth waiting for the GTC self contained TC or would I be better off buying the pieces and making my own jack shaft assembly for the driven part of the torque convertor?
    4. It appears the Predator 13 hp is electric start. Does the engine come with a charging system to maintain the battery.
    Thanks
    Herman

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Predator 13 hp engines
    The 13 hp is not bad for the money and it does have a charging system, not as smooth running as the Honda GX 390. I put one in a spider kart for a friend and other than braking chain master links every once in a while they are real happy with it. I have one in my little buggy with stage 1 kit but with governor still intact and so far it is still running good , key switch block has broken off a couple times from the vibration and that is the only problem with the engine so far. Personally I would not run a self contained TC on the bigger engines, the driven jack shaft is only supported on one end. on mine I'm running double jack shafts with 3 bearings each and had to switch to 530 chain from the pivot to axle.

3. Collapse Details
    I am running one in my little buggy - just rode it this weekend, still rips! They are unbeatable for the money in my opinion.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the response both tazmannusa and dain254.
    530 chain for 13hp, that is what I run on my hayabusa powered car.
    Do you mind sharing some info regarding your machines.
    Weight, size (length and width, performance (top speed and performance)and photos of your drive train and suspension.
    Herman

5. Collapse Details
    Taz
    I also was concerned about the self contained TC and only being supported on one end.
    On the 6.5 hp self contained TC, I made a support for the driven end.
    So what TC's are you suggesting for the 13hp?
    Are you using 530 chain from the 1st jack shaft to the 2nd and 530 from the 2nd to the axle?
    I assume you used 2 jack shafts to get the required gearing with the 530 chain size.
    What ratios did you end up with and rear tire diameter?
    thanks
    Herman

6. Collapse Details
    You can see my build on here - https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/show-...ype-buggy.html

I go into some detail about the rear end - I use 530 chain as well, only because it is indestructable for the most part, especially with 13hp. weight is about 400lbs, its just a lil guy - but it's pretty much the most fun thing I've ever driven.

7. Collapse Details
    My build has an old 447 ski doo snowmobile engine in it and I run 530 chain from the jackshaft to the axle, mainly because that's what size sprockets the buggy came with, but also because it is strong. Looking back though I probably should have thrown a support bearing in the middle of the shaft, because while I was cleaning up the splines on the end that goes into the chaincase on the lathe I found that the shaft was a little bent

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by herman pahls View Post
    Taz
    I also was concerned about the self contained TC and only being supported on one end.
    On the 6.5 hp self contained TC, I made a support for the driven end.
    So what TC's are you suggesting for the 13hp?
    Are you using 530 chain from the 1st jack shaft to the 2nd and 530 from the 2nd to the axle?
    I assume you used 2 jack shafts to get the required gearing with the 530 chain size.
    What ratios did you end up with and rear tire diameter?
    thanks
    Herman
    The 40 series will work ok with a buggy on the lighter side , I went with the 780 series because it has a low low and good overdrive ratio plus the wide belt . If I remember correctly I ended up with about a 6.7:1 ratio with 20 x 10 knobby tires. The wifes is the size of the edge sidewinder with the stock Honda GX390, 40 series TC , 6:1 ratio , and 22" knobby tires. Works out ok with the #40 chain but if we play on hills much the belt is short lived, The jack shaft on that one is just forward of the engine with a 12 tooth to a 72 tooth on axle.
    Mine is a different animal, engine is 6" above swing arms and needed the second shaft inline with pivot I had the #40 chain on both but with better than 2:1 on top of 3:1 was a bit much on the 3:1, kept stretching and snapping master links so I swapped the 3:1 to #50 sprockets and 530 chain, I got a few good hours of running it last weekend and the 530 is holing up good

9. Collapse Details
    Ran across this, uses steel pate rather than aluminum, might be good if you need a really compact unit
    40 Series TAV

10. Collapse Details
    Taz
    Thanks for the info on the 40 Series TAV option.
    I did not realize that was available.
    Since you have experience with 13HP engines, TC's, chain sizes and ratios, I would like to learn from your experience.
    Would your wife's buggy be easier on belts if the gearing was say 8:1 ?
    Would the top speed be adequate at 8:1 ?
    To get 8:1 with #40 chain in one step would require a 10 and 80 tooth sprocket.
    The 80 is 13" in diameter and the 10 would be quite small for chain and sprocket wear.
    Dual jackshafts would allow more ideal sprocket diameters but would add complexity in fabrication and chain adjustment.
    #50/530 sprockets become even larger in diameter to get the desired reduction.
    Tell me more about the 780 series CVT's?
    I would appreciate your thoughts before I move forward with this build.
    Thanks
    Herman

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast