Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to build exhaust quick and cheap.....
    I get a lot of request for people asking how I build my exhaust so I figured I would document the process on one and make a quick topic.

First off, this is not how to build full exhaust from the motor to the pipe, this is how to take an existing header system that usually come with the motor for free, and make it fit in your application as cheaply as possible. This is how I do all of my exhaust systems unless I run a turbo.

I am of course using a busa for my demonstration.

First, I designed some flanges that bolt to the stock exhaust for my base model applications, these can be made out of a round ring as well and don't have to have any funny recesses since the gasket will seal against the flat surface. I prefer 5/16" material so it doesn't distort during welding. Some of my rails get custom exhaust (shown in the last pic of the second post) and they are fairly easy as they are usually just a slip on to the existing 2.5" tube and get clamped on, no need for a flange.

My process starts off by going down to the local exhaust shop and buying a piece of about 6", 2.5" OD exhaust which I have them flare the ends to 1-7/8" OD. This will build 2 exhaust and they usually give it to me for free since they just grab a piece of scrap out of the bin, but I have paid as much as $10 for it ( I know, it's really really expensive )

I then take my headers and cut them in the middle of where they split off for the 2 pipes. Make sure you grind the paint off the entire outside edge and debur all the id where you cut. I like to clamp mine on a table with the cut line hanging off the edge. I then get a good line started on one side with a cut off wheel as an alignment guild for a sawzaw blade to complete it.

I set the headers next to my small hand press, then proceed to oval the exhaust flare on the 2-7/8" side so it is about the same height as the headers (roughly 1.5"). I then cut the flare end off about 2" past the where the flare starts so I have a good piece of 2.5" OD tubing, then I turn it side ways and get the round back in shape since the 2.5" side will start to oval as well and I want it to be round for welding to my 2.5" tube.

I like to bolt my headers on at this point so I can use the collector to help find the angle I want and make sure I don't weld it on in a manner that hits the motor.

I start off with a U bend of 2.5" tubing and cut it in half. This piece always works great for the first part and the second half works for the top with some adjustment. You will also need a foot or so of straight 2.5" material for extensions, and to change their angle I usually just saw cut at an angle to change the direction a little.

I forgot to take pictures, but before I weld anything I use 1.5" tape wrapped around really good to hold the joints together before I weld anything. I will build the whole pipe like this, then starting from the bottom I will tack a couple pieces and work my way up. I usually just peel back the tape to expose some metal on the joint to get a tack.

When it's done I weld up as much as possible while still attached and after it has cooled I will weld on the tab for the exhaust to the frame. Sometimes, if i'm using a small pipe (like the last pic) I will weld a tab on the 2.5" tubing and not use anything to hold the can up and it has always worked out fine for me.

Last, to hide all the welds for the pipe, I just use black exhaust wrap. I will black out the flange area where the exhaust bolts up with high temp heat, then start wrapping my exhaust right there, working my way down to the bottom and then I use a hose clamp to attach it to one of the original 1.5" headers tubes that are just before the collector, that way there is no clamps at the top and it looks cleaner.

One more thing, when welding on the collector part, I weld the outside round surfaces first, then I take a ball pin hammer and smash the V section down into the grooves on the top and bottom so I don't have as much weld to fill.

Actual, one more one more thing , don't try to weld the 2.5" tubing as close to the motor as possible on the backside. For the exhaust to unbolt, the back end actually has to lean into the motor a bit so it has to have clearance to do so.

Anyway, here are some pics with 90 percent of the process. I am doing another one right now and may include some better pics later.
    Last edited by yoshi; 02-24-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

2. Collapse Details
    Re: How to build ehuast quick and cheap.....
    few more......
    918-521-3736

3. Collapse Details
    Re: How to build ehuast quick and cheap.....
    leaving this spot blank for more pictures later.....
    918-521-3736

4. Collapse Details
    Re: How to build exhaust quick and cheap.....
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    I wish the hondas in my area didn't use this for exhaust muffler tip !!! .....
    I like your post with all of the detailed photos.... Good job...

5. Collapse Details
    Great write up Yoshi very informative and helpful. I bet more than a few people will benefit from this.

6. Collapse Details
    Great write up. Will definitely be helpful in the near future. Also noticed the rear section of your car is bolted on and can be removed which is a really cool idea! Nice work.

7. Collapse Details
    Yoshi
    Thanks for sharing.
    Since SS exhaust in Phoenix went out of business I can make my next header.
    Herman

8. Collapse Details
    Exhaust noise doesn't have anything to do with emissions. The cat does.

9. Collapse Details
    ^^^^^^^^^-------spammer
    918-521-3736

10. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    Hey it's a spammer that knows emissions! Who knew!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast