Thread: welding tips

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    welding tips
    i think some "welding tips" will be an excellent thread to start on here! maybe someone already done this, and i just couldn't find it. looking through many builds on this site, i've seen everything from absolutely beautiful welds....to "bird crap" welds. to start this, i'll let everyone know that i am a "self taught" welder(so, i'm not saying my welds are the greatest welds i've seen)! now, my job is a welder/fabricator with a trucking company. so here are a few mig welding tips i'll start with.....#1: get the welder set(many welders have good starting points listed for the thickness of metal you will be using). if you don't have a chart to start with, use some scrap metal and experiment with different heat settings and adjust your wire feed to find what works the best. after a while, you'll be able to adjust by the "buzzing" sound you hear. many things can affect what settings work best for different people(one example: how close you have the nozzle to your work piece) #2: i like to watch the "puddle" as i move along. it is easy to "undercut" your weld if you aren't paying attention to the "puddle". an "undercut" area WILL be a weak spot, so try to avoid doing this.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: welding tips
    Dusty, i agree, great topic. I started a similar titled titled " https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...ild-buggy.html ". Also the rorty website has some great pictures of problem welds. My advice..... if you think welding is like gluing pieces together, its probably being done wrong

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah,
    I got a tip.

DON'T BUY A FLUX CORE ONLY WELDER.

Truth is its not bad, but welding splattering clean up is worth 50 or 100 more bucks NOT to have to do it.

I was on tight budget when I bought welder brand new from Tractor Supply. Hobart is good enough for me, but if I had it to do over, I'd of purchased a welder that uses shielding gas. I know as well as any, you gotta do what you gotta do.

my .02
    Glock n Ballz
    Ft. Worth, Tx

4. Collapse Details
    yeah, i agree! many of the inexpensive welders come set up with flux core wire, but some can be converted to gas. if i remember correctly on my hobart 130, i just needed to switch the polarity, get the bottle of gas, and a spool of wire. it was set up for flux core(and came with a very small spool of flux core wire), but it came with the hose and regulator to use with gas. and i lucked into a FREE argon/co2 mix bottle!!!

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    i've only had a chance to go through a little bit of this link so far.....and i've already learned quite a bit!!!! thanks for posting this!

7. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Tonka I checked out the sight ya posted. Thanx alot . I think there's about two boat loads of info with the links you provided. lot's of good info for all types of welding. Two thumb's up

8. Collapse Details
    I personally see no reason to spot or pulse weld anything other than sheet metal, you are better off with a consistent flow. You can achieve a perfectly decent looking, and faster mig weld without it.....

A few I did last week on a chassis, and i'm not what i'd consider a pro even though I do a lot of welding daily....
    Last edited by yoshi; 12-28-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

9. Collapse Details
    yoshi, i agree! the only time i've used pulse welding, is too reduce warpage when replacing body panels. in reality, everything could be tig welded.....but it is a much slower process! one of the big advantages of mig welding....is the fact that it is fast! and even though i weld for a living(tig, mig, and arc). i also do not consider myself a pro, as i am "self taught"
    however, "there is more than one way to skin a cat"! So, i'm not saying the way i do ANYTHING, is the best way, or even the right way! i just thought this would be a good subject (that many people would have ideas, and advise) to help those who don't feel comfortable with their welding skills???

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for sharing that link! Roaming through the website I stumbled upon Lincoln welding motorsports school in Cleveland, Ohio! Its solely for motorsports application and only a couple weeks long...I'm definitely going to attend it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast