Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    1980 Honda Odyssey FL250 rebuilt help
    I have rebuilt Honda Odyssey 250 new seals, piston, rings, gaskets and carburetor kit. Motor will not rev up no matter what. I've tried adjusting the carburetor every way and then some and even tried spraying some gas in the carb and still nothing. It will idle all day long but will not rev up ever. Anyone have any ideas please help.

Thanks in advance
    Troy

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 1980 Honda Odyssey FL250 rebuilt help
    Welcome to the site!
    How far is the carb opening when you push the throttle? Does it sputter? Does it pop? Does it just level off at a certain RPM?? Did you see this motor rev before it was rebuilt or was this non running when you got it??

You may have a plugged exhaust pipe. Does it try to rev any different with the aircleaner off. I hate to admit I do not know but don't those have points in the ignition? If the poits are not right it will never rev. Let us know. Bill
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    I would have added this above but dinner was burning on the grill.

Also with rebuilding the carb. You migth pop it back apart to double check to make sure the flaots right. I have gotten them messed up on carbs I have done right many times. But that one time you get the float (if its separate from the needle arm) on the wrong side and fuel either cannot flow or flows and will not stop.

If you still cannot figure it out after checking the above to check to see if the pipes plugged take it off and try to rev in once. It will be terrible loud so do it in the day and not late or too early. Just try it once or twice to see if the pipes hampering flow. Mice build nest in those things.... Same for the silencer part. Bill
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    The carb opens all the way by squeezing the throttle, does not spit or sputter, or even pop. It does not level off at any point just idols. No extra fuel is coming out of exhaust port. Yes, the motor did rev up before it was overhauled and I do not have the exhaust pipe on at all. I actually have two motors both were overhauled and they both do the same thing. I thought the first one had a air leak in the bottom end so I bought another one off eBay. I also have two carburetors. I have CDI ignition on this odyssey. I'm wondering if the fuel pump is working properly, I know the gas tank is clean. I took a funnel and hooked it to the gas inlet and made sure the carburetor was full of gas and still just idols. Both motors do the exact same thing even with switching carburetors. I have no idea what is going on, got to be gas going in, or maybe electronic ignition. I have a spark checker and looks like has great spark. I'm not new to working on two-stroke motors, or even four stroke I've had snowmobiles and motorcycles since I was like seven years old. I've had 125, 250, 500 dirtbike, and many different snowmobiles. I had a John Deere 340 liquid fire snowmobile with two carburetors and was a hell of a lot easier to get running perfect this odyssey.
    Troy

5. Collapse Details
    You say both motors do the same thing? Whats the common denominator? Your not using the same carb on each? But swapping the carbs it does the same thing? On either motor? Is there ANY part that you only have one of that you use between motors?

Can you see in the carb when its running? Have someone push the gas. If you cannot see fuel being drawn up into the airstream then start there. You eliminated the fuel pump with your funnel test. Were both carbs rebuilt? Was the correct kit used?

6. Collapse Details
    Its been forever scince I messed with those 250's. They don't have reverse do they?

7. Collapse Details
    No reverse on them. I only have one CDI setup. I have one rebuilt carburetor, and one I bought off eBay, the guy said it worked fine. I have tried both motors, switching both carburetors rebuilt and used on each one. I'll have to see if I can get someone to help by pressing the throttle so I can look in the carburetor.

8. Collapse Details
    I did use right parts for the motor rebuild and carburetor.

9. Collapse Details
    You using the same coil? Its got to be something they both use that you have not swapped. Is the motor grounded? Try a good pair of jumper cables from the motor to the frame.

10. Collapse Details
    I am using the same coil and Stator. I'll check the motor to make sure it is grounded properly. Thanks for your ideas, hopefully I can get this thing to work.
    Troy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast