Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Phazer transplant begins

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Phazer transplant begins
    YOOUUUUUU - D!@k!!(in the voice of Jeff Spicoli)

Ok ,i got that of my chest.(because you bought the engine i want)

Good luck,it should be a sweet ride when its done.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

3. Collapse Details
    How does the output shaft rpm on the yamaha engine compare to the pilot engine, (has the yam engine got reduction from crank to output shaft?)Will you end up with higher top speed or better acceleration or both?
    Should make a fast but civilised pilot, Good luck.

4. Collapse Details
    The output shaft on the phazer is via gear reduction. I am not sure of the final ratio, but it is designed for a snowmobile and a CVT system. I am not sure of the diameters of the yamaha clutches to know for sure how the diameter of the pilot CVT will compare. I do believe that the phazer driven is around 10-3/4" in diameter though and the pilot driven is just under 9" in diameter. I have a new input shaft for the pilot so I can change to an adjustable driven, but I won't be able to put a driven in that is much larger than 9-1/2" unless I shift the driven clutch further left in the machine.

A stock pilot spins about 7000 rpm, and from reading about K-fab's conversion, a phazer will spin the output shaft upwards of 8000 rpm. So if I go with the pilot stock driven, and a powerbloc for the pilot on the phazer engine, I will definitely gain top-end. With the extra HP and torque of the engine I seriously doubt the stock pilot driven will be able the handle the job. I am currently searching for a driven clutch that is the correct size and is tunable.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotHawK View Post
    The output shaft on the phazer is via gear reduction. I am not sure of the final ratio, but it is designed for a snowmobile and a CVT system. I am not sure of the diameters of the yamaha clutches to know for sure how the diameter of the pilot CVT will compare. I do believe that the phazer driven is around 10-3/4" in diameter though and the pilot driven is just under 9" in diameter. I have a new input shaft for the pilot so I can change to an adjustable driven, but I won't be able to put a driven in that is much larger than 9-1/2" unless I shift the driven clutch further left in the machine.

A stock pilot spins about 7000 rpm, and from reading about K-fab's conversion, a phazer will spin the output shaft upwards of 8000 rpm. So if I go with the pilot stock driven, and a powerbloc for the pilot on the phazer engine, I will definitely gain top-end. With the extra HP and torque of the engine I seriously doubt the stock pilot driven will be able the handle the job. I am currently searching for a driven clutch that is the correct size and is tunable.

the 600 pilot is running a 10" driven, it did move out away from the trans at the same time, wich was better for the twin anyway....Keep at it, youll have it done in no time...

6. Collapse Details
    Unless you have a stubborn tranny that sucks balls, oh wait thats my Pilot tranny.

7. Collapse Details
    Well I got the rest of the pilot engine out today. I really wish I would have power washed this thing before I started! The parts are boxed up and are getting shipped to the new owner tomorrow.

Once I get the thing cleaned up a little more I'll post pictures.

I also think that while I have it apart I will install a LT front and rear suspension. After everything has found a home in the chassis, I will strip the frame back down and have it powdercoated. Probably back to red, but I'm seriously considering a dark metallic gray.

I have also ordered another input shaft from ATVnut with a 1" keyed shaft. I bought one from RPM already, but it is just too short, and I'd rather have a one piece shaft instead of cobbling an input shaft together. Since I am going to have to shift the driven clutch to the left about 3-4" in order to accommodate the engine placement I should be able to go with at least a 10" clutch if not a 10-3/4. If I can go all the way to 10-3/4 then I'll install a team rapid reaction clutch. If not I'll go with a 10" arctic cat roller driven.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotHawK View Post
    Well I got the rest of the pilot engine out today. I really wish I would have power washed this thing before I started! The parts are boxed up and are getting shipped to the new owner tomorrow.

Once I get the thing cleaned up a little more I'll post pictures.

I also think that while I have it apart I will install a LT front and rear suspension. After everything has found a home in the chassis, I will strip the frame back down and have it powdercoated. Probably back to red, but I'm seriously considering a dark metallic gray.

I have also ordered another input shaft from ATVnut with a 1" keyed shaft. I bought one from RPM already, but it is just too short, and I'd rather have a one piece shaft instead of cobbling an input shaft together. Since I am going to have to shift the driven clutch to the left about 3-4" in order to accommodate the engine placement I should be able to go with at least a 10" clutch if not a 10-3/4. If I can go all the way to 10-3/4 then I'll install a team rapid reaction clutch. If not I'll go with a 10" arctic cat roller driven.
    I think the atvnut built 600 has a 10.75 clutch, not 100% sure tho....Of course you are using a different motor as well, but im pretty sure it clears the rear frame...

9. Collapse Details
    I've finally started to get some parts in (Thanks odypilots!) and now I might finally be able to start making some progress on the conversion. I snapped a few pictures of the new driven clutch I'll be using, and the iNput shaft as well. I had the iNput shaft made extra long so I could cut off what I didn't need instead of wishing I'd have had it made a 1/4" longer.

10. Collapse Details
    Good thinking looking good the phazer was a great engine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast