Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    800 rotax and subaru diff into pilot
    Hi to everyone, Lee from england, uk, I am new to this site and not that good with a computer so sorry if I mess up .
    I was reading another thread which mentioned using a subaru limited slip diff. I am in the process of putting a rotax 793 (800cc twin) engine in to a pilot with cvt drive and a subaru impreza limited slip diff, The rotax engine which is used in a snowmobile has RER Rotax Electronic Reverse which means the engine runs in reverse so I do not need to have a reverse in the transmission. I have weighed the origonal parts and the new engine and tranny and with the brackets etc to be made the pilot will be very close to its origonal weight. I am using the cvt drive from the snowmobile so it should be well suited to work with this engine.
    As you will see in the photos the engine sits above the diff and the output shaft comes out to the rear of the buggy with the drive clutch attatched, then the secondary clutch fixed to a jack shaft going forwards to just behind the seat with a break disc and a sprocket and another sprocket mounted to the diff input shaft and a chain connecting the sprockets. the sprockets will be 2 to 1 and the diff is 4.1 to 1 so I will have 8.2 to 1.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: subaru transmission
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Pretty cool idea.
    What did you do with the Pilot tranny?

3. Collapse Details
    Hi LEE1969GB,

Welcome to MiniBuggy.net

That machine will be a beast. *The only problem will be steering under power.....since it will be easy to loft the front tires in air with the throttle
    Kludge is pronounced clue-j (with a short J as in Just)
    You know you are blessed when your wife loves you, she understands your need for a shop with good tools
    and she wants you to build her a Minibuggy too!
    Yes, someday I'll get my website up www.minibuggysupply.com (Anybody know a good Web site designer/graphic artist?)

4. Collapse Details
    The problem with the brake on the jackshaft is if u throw/break a chain, no brakes! Looks like a cool project! Welcome

5. Collapse Details
    You could also run into the problem of the brakes unloading on 1 wheel, unless the diff has a good amount of posi.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

6. Collapse Details
    But with the break on the jackshaft you will have more breaking power...and if you have front brakes safety is minimal issue....

7. Collapse Details
    That is true. The brake will be spinning pretty darned fast, and you could get by with a smaller disc, and liong as it is vented well. I find front brakes mandatory.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

8. Collapse Details
    your breaking power will be increased 4x times thru the diff to...As i recently learned by a very bright man. I to am now running the brakes on the jackshaft, as i lost the room for them at the bottom...

9. Collapse Details
    Essentially all modern snowmobiles run the disc brake on the jackshaft (except AC's Diamond Drive and some race sleds). *The chain they use is a multi-plate "hyvo" chain and is much stronger (11 to 15 side plates) than a typical roller chain (2 side plates). *Do you have access to a snowmobile chain case?

If you still have the Pilot's front brakes, you will at least be able to slow down if the chain breaks. It could get exciting if you are going down hill or in a corner.

Consider using a high strength chain (motorcycle 630) or a double/triple industrial chain. A pair of spring loaded chain tensioners, one pushing in on each side of the chain would help reduce chain whip when transitioning from acceleration to braking.
    You know you are blessed when your wife loves you, she understands your need for a shop with good tools
    Yes, someday I'll get my website up www.minibuggysupply.com (Anybody know a good Web site designer/graphic artist?)

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by plkracer\";p=\"25575
    You could also run into the problem of the brakes unloading on 1 wheel, unless the diff has a good amount of posi.
    Hi plkracer,

The few people I know of who have run an open diff and braked the diff (or the jack-shaft prior to the diff) did not have any problem with tire unloading when used in sand dunes or soft soil.

To lose all braking, the unloaded tire would actually need to rotate in the opposite direction from the tire that had traction. *I could see a problem with ice and other very low traction (slick) surfaces. I believe it would work fine on any surface where traction is available almost as good as axle brakes.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast