Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: FL350 Jetting Questions...
    Rich is more fuel to air, not more oil to fuel. More oil displaces fuel and also makes the fuel mixture thicker. Change the ratio enough and it will affect jetting. So more oil would if anything lean it out.

If it has the stock carb, it likely has the stock 52 slow jet. This is too big, drop to a 45. The stock jet loads the engine up at idle. When you nail the throttle it still feels boggy because there is so much extra fuel. Dropping the needle might make it seem better because it cleans up faster. Then you'll burn it up when you make a long run at that throttle position. The same thing is true on the main, dropping that might seem to offset a problem created by the slow jet, but will cause the engine to burn up on a long run.

The stock main jet is a 145. It is slightly large, but needs to be to cool the engine. A DG pipe will require about 1 size larger main and potentially the needle raised. Often the stock jets are OK if no other changes are made and you are letting the machine cool periodically. If not running the air box lid or using a modified upper air box with dual tubes along with the DG pipe, you'll need at least 1 size up on the main, likely 2. The needle will need to be raised on slot. The 45 slow jet stands in all cases.

A K&N will not make more power than a UNI on an FL350R. I have run both and had identical EGT readings with back to back runs. If the K&N flowed more, it should have raised EGT. The FL350R filter is much larger than other machines including the Pilot so you already have good flow. The K&N has a solid metal top and the UNI is foam there too.

2. Collapse Details
    You guys are a great resource, thanks! I plan on pulling the carb and see what it has in it. I also saw it has the VFORCE3 reeds and cage. There is no airbox, but a 90 that comes off the carb to a base plate, then the filter clamps to that...in the open. Where is a good place to get the jets?

3. Collapse Details
    Oh, and where is the needle set on a stock carb??? I want to make sure no one has played with it yet either...

4. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    I'm not sure where it comes from the factory, but the manual says to move it based on temp and altitude, so it depends. The needle adjustment is a fine tuning type of thing, so I would start in the middle position.
    I race, therefore I am

5. Collapse Details
    Ok, I had a little time to pull the carb this morning. I attached pics of what my carb looks like. I have a 45 slow jet and 158 main. It has a dg pipe, k&n filter (I order the UNI) and VFORCE3 reeds and cage. The 158 still sounds big. I'm at sea level.

My problem is it bogs terribly in mid throttle, but idles good and top end is good.

6. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    If it revs out clean once you get past your mid range problem, your main jet should be ok. It might be affecting the problem a bit, but I wouldn't go more than 1 main jet size smaller, unless I was using very short runs.

It sounds like the old "too big of pilot jet", but you already have a smaller pilot jet, so I'm out of suggestions. Wait, are the reeds in good shape?
    I race, therefore I am

7. Collapse Details
    Are you 273% sure ALL the carbs inner passages are clean and clear? That carbs outside is filthy and if it did not have a GREAT fuel filter on it no telling what might be in those tiny throttle transision passages. Not to mention old evaporated fuel caked in it.

Even the slide needle can be caked with fuel varnish. But the needles brass jet it slides in sound like its not been removed and its perpendicular ports may be jammed??

Also have you done a crankcase pressure test yet? If the bearings in the crankcase are going or even just the seals then a motor can run like you are describing.

If the seals are bad then someone over jets to compensate for the leak. But the engine bogs a little when the leaks start but extra fuel can then start to flow and catch up and make it rev. Its a sure way to destroy a two stroke.

Do a crankcase pressure test! NO amount of jetting will cure seals going out for long. As the motor destroys itself people will often play with jetting to make it come around just to do more damage.

SUPER clean carb. Crankcase pressure test and COMPRESSION TEST and THE best fuel filter you can buy. Untill you have those you really do not know what you ARE DEALING WITH.

You can play around and gamble with a two stroke and have tuning nightmares or just star at square one and do it right and know what you are dealing with with a two stroke. Not much middle ground.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

8. Collapse Details
    Take the carb apart and show us pictures of what you clean and how. Maybe you just are not aware of something in it that needs to be taken out and cleaned?
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

9. Collapse Details
    Ok, I will try to run to the hardware store and collect everything needed to do the pressure test.

Right now, I have the carb soaking in Berrymans dip. All I did was pull the 158 jet and the 45 jet, and the tube under the 158 jet and dropped in down in the can. Are there some other things I can pull to get the cleaner in more spots?

And by the way, I clean the outside of the carb before I took the pictures...lol If you think it was dirty in those pics, you should have seen it before!

10. Collapse Details
    Also, I drained all the old gas and about to grab some new fuel line and fuel filter. I hope the new air filter comes in today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast