Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Honda Odyssey FL250 Comet clutch
    hi guys,
    i'm new to the forum. i've been reading old posts for the past few weeks getting some great advice. i bought an 198? honda odyssey fl250 a few weeks ago. it had been sitting since 1992. the previous owner rebuilt the motor and his son seazed the piston the first time out. he spent a bunch of money fixing it up but decided to save money on the cracked intake boot. he repaired it with silicone but that didn't work out too well. the .50 over weisco piston was burnt to the exhaust side of the cylinder. it has a d&g pipe, eee roll cage, comet duster clutch and elec. start.
    so i sandblasted and painted the frame and cage, bought new tires, intake boot, battery, cables, nuts, bolts, etc.. the crank and rod bearing looked good so i did not split the cases. i honed out the jug and measured the cylinder. it was a little too big to go back with the same size piston so i bought a 1mm over wiseco piston set and had it bored .020.
    i got it back together late last night and it fired right up, first try. it ran great with a few bugs to work out. exhaust, brakes, clutch.
    my question is....how do i dis-engage the clutch? with the belt on; the rear wheels want to turn with the motor. it wants to take off with the starter. i took the belt off and the motor ran great. i was thinking that if the idle was low the clutch would not grab the belt but the comet clutch seems to be locked up. spin it with your hands and the crank turns with it. any advice will be appreciated.
    also, how much oil does the gear reduction case hold? no dipstick, do you fill it to the top?
    thanks,
    dave
    Last edited by unclesamsurplus; 03-12-2011 at 10:31 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Honda Odyssey FL250 Comet clutch
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    It sounds like the wrong belt or a stuck driver (engine) clutch. I'm assuming that the engine, driven clutch, etc were put back together in the stock configuration?

The belt should be fairly slack on the clutches. If you tighten up the slack in the belt towards the driver clutch (engine), you should find that you have about 1/4" of clearance between the clutch shaft and the inside (bottom) of the belt. If there is no slack, then the clutch cannot spin freely at idle.

The outer sheave of the clutch moves in towards the engine to take up the slack in the belt and provide power to the driven clutch. If the drive clutch is stuck partly open, that will keep the belt in tension and cause it to move forward at idle. You don't specify if the Duster clutch is new or if it has sat idle for a few years, but if it has been sitting idle, then you should take the clutch apart, lubricate it with a teflon spray (no grease-based lubricant) and test the operation.

If you need instructions on disassembling a Duster clutch, let me know. It's easy, but not intuitive.
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 03-14-2011 at 04:21 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    the clutch seems to have worked itself out. it will sit and idle now and take off when you give it gas. all i need now is brakes. i've put a couple hours on it and worked out the bugs.

4. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    That's good news. The Comet Duster clutch is fairly reliable.

That's also a nice looking Odyssey.

5. Collapse Details
    i beleive thats a eee after market cage
    cant dodge it ram it

6. Collapse Details
    looking sharp!
    87 tecate 4
    83 hoda odyssey fl250

7. Collapse Details
    you should have seen it a few months ago. it was sitting behind my buddy's house torn apart and rusting. all the parts were there except the nuts and bolts were lost.
    the roll cage looks cool and would probably save your ass in a roll over but getting in and out took some getting use to for an old fat guy. haha. i had to modify to the seat base and exhaust pipe to give me head and leg room. i built it for my 13 year old son and he doesn't have any problem. he's only got to drive it once since back together because i need to work on the brakes and front end bushings. i told him i may keep it for myself and give him my warrior. it's alot of fun to drive.
    the seat can not go back any further than this.

8. Collapse Details
    well good build!

now some questions if you dont mind.
    The fuel cell what size and where did you get it? also what did you use for the air scoop? last is that a dg pipe?
    87 tecate 4
    83 hoda odyssey fl250

9. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthlessxbeastx View Post
    well good build!

now some questions if you dont mind.
    The fuel cell what size and where did you get it? also what did you use for the air scoop? last is that a dg pipe?
    DG pipe exhaust .... Its a old school exhaust system..Its a huge brand in MC bikes and 2 strokes in particular

10. Collapse Details
    i got all the nice upgrades with the buggy when i bought it. i believe it is a d&g pipe. it's loud. where exhaust comes out of the motor it was a 2 piece pipe with springs. the small 90 degree header was burnt out so i built a new pipe with a tighter turn for more seat room and moved the rubber insulators back 4". the aluminum tank holds 5 gallons. the air scoop that came with it was broken. i cut the bottom off a 1 gallon anti-freeze jug and painted it black. used old radiator hoses to connect to the air cleaner for now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast