Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Looking for a Comet driven clutch for a FL250
    Unhappy
    I picked up a FL250 the other day. Well it seems that the previous owner put a Comet drive clutch on it with a stock belt and stock driven clutch... Well that didn't last... I got the right belt and need a Comet driven clutch anyone have one that they can part with???
    Send me a pic to make sure it is the correct one.

BTW could use a couple other parts... need a headlight switch and the plastic nut that holds the plug wire on the coil on a newer fl250... (CDI system)

Thanks for looking

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Looking for a Comet driven clutch for a FL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ski View Post
    ... Well that didn't last...
    What failed?
    The driven/secondary clutch?

I am still using my stock FL250 secondary with my Comet 102c primary and the FL250 belt. Secondary is holding up just fine with that primary and my 440 engine driving it.

Check your chain case for problems with slop and bearings (and fluid) and make sure that didn't cause a secondary failure if that was the case before you put a replacement secondary on it. Check you're primary/secondary alignment to make sure your belt isn't failing because the clutches are "off kilter".

Comet does make a 90d secondary that is pre-configured for the FL250.
    But I would say just replace it and the chain box. You can find them as take off set on ebay quite often.

Bill's Tips
    The FL250 has Salisbury 700 rear
    drive unit from the factory. It does not have backlash slippers like the Comet 90D or Salisbury 790 & 770.
    Last edited by imrlumley; 08-23-2010 at 08:54 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by imrlumley View Post
    What failed?
    The driven/secondary clutch?
    Well the primary clutch is a Comet 94c and the secondary is a stock clutch... The Comet clutch takes a 1 1/4" wide belt... The stock (or the driven clutch in this case) takes a 7/8" wide belt... It work well for the previous owner. He did not drive it very far or very fast...

What happened is when the drive clutch was trying to engage a 7/8" belt it had 3/8" of play in it... When the clutch was reving up, wanting to shift, it opened up so far it was shooting pucks out like rockets... Kept hearing strange noise until I noticed a vibration... Hmmmmm....

Got the driven clutch fixed, but need a driven Comet clutch.

Comet makes a better clutch setup than stock. So I would like to go that way so it matches my other fl250. Ebay does have several trans/clutch setups but so far I haven't found a Comet driven clutch... They all have been the Salsbury stock ones.

BTW for anyone listening... Comet went out of business a while back... Another company bought them out and is making parts... They don't think they will be getting to the fl250 94c clutches for maybe another 6 months or so...

So I thought I would see if I could find one on here...

4. Collapse Details
    My 102c primary has not been adjusted for the 7/8 belt.
    The secondary is still set for the 7/8" belt and I am using the FL250 7/8" belt as well.

The 102c was originally off of a Yamaha snowmobile of similar CC and the typical 1-1/4" belt.

I have not found any issues with gunning the engine hard with the late engagement. I don't intend to replace my drive clutch until I decide to restore the rear frame and raise the engine a little to use the longer and wider snowmobile belts that are easier to find now-a-days.

Any idea what RPM the primary self destructed? It really shouldn't have done that at any RPM... if the pucks were swinging freely and didn't get hung up and throw the clutch out of balance. My experience is very limited with tuning and maintaining clutches. I have rev-ed my primary with no belt on it several times to check the action on the pulleys.

5. Collapse Details
    Any idea what RPM the primary self destructed? It really shouldn't have done that at any RPM... if the pucks were swinging freely and didn't get hung up and throw the clutch out of balance. My experience is very limited with tuning and maintaining clutches. I have rev-ed my primary with no belt on it several times to check the action on the pulleys.
    I thought revving without a belt is a big no no... It is in the manual... Not sure on RPM but after a bit I lost 4 of the 6 pucks... The cover opened up so far that it was throwing them out... I know the 102 is heavier duty compared to the 94 so maybe you won't have a problem... But I know for sure if you get a matched set it will run much better.

BTW Finally found one... Little expensive but new... thanks...

6. Collapse Details
    Best of luck with the new driven.

What belt are you planning on using to replace the FL250 7/8"w? I looked at one point to find a 1-1/4"w belt of the same length but couldn't find one.

I had not heard that about revving up a drive clutch without a belt. I would have thought that would be the best method for double checking that the primary was in balance and moving freely... so long as you don't redline your motor of course.

Got any pictures of the puck carrier after failure?
    What did the guy who rebuilt it replace?
    I'm just curious now.

7. Collapse Details
    What belt are you planning on using to replace the FL250 7/8"w? I looked at one point to find a 1-1/4"w belt of the same length but couldn't find one.
    If you look for a belt for the FL250 it will ask stock clutch or aftermarket wider belt... I found a couple different manufacturers that make a replacement belt for either... Check this guys site... Odyssey Salvage the site is rough but he is a great guy... Very hard to get him on the phone very busy. (scroll down to FL250 and click on it to find the 250 page)
    I had not heard that about revving up a drive clutch without a belt. I would have thought that would be the best method for double checking that the primary was in balance and moving freely... so long as you don't redline your motor of course.
    Dig though the manual... I think it has something to do with not having any resistant in the clutch, it is hard on the clutch and it may fly apart... I think the way you are supposed to do it is raise the rear wheels off the ground (very securely) and then rev the engine.

Got any pictures of the puck carrier after failure?
    What did the guy who rebuilt it replace?
    I'm just curious now.
    Should have took a pic looked kind of neat... I guess the clutch wasn't damaged besides expanding so far that it threw out a puck every once in a while... Finally when I stopped it snuffed the engine out... One of the lasts pucks was jammed in the cover holding the clutch engaged. I just had to buy some new pucks that got launched into space.

I knew something was up when I drove it... It wouldn't pass my older odyssey. It seemed to lack power... Of course now I know why... With the wrong belt and mixed parts it wasn't shifting the way it should...

8. Collapse Details
    I will check on that belt for the aftermarket setups.

I think I understand now. I haven't found a decent diagram of the 94c operation. But, if I understand correctly, it is a really basic clutch.

The pucks swing out with rpm and ride down the inside surface of the cover as the movable pulley closes on the belt. So, with the additional 5/8" space between the fully closed position and the narrower belt, the pucks just flopped out past the lip of the cover and proceeded to get jammed between the cover and the puck carrier/pulley assembly. At which point chaos ensued...

If that is correct, seems to me there should have been a stop on the pucks to keep them from rotating so far as to slip off the cover like that.

With the 102c the entire assembly moves, so the cam arms can't get jammed in anything.

9. Collapse Details
    The pucks swing out with rpm and ride down the inside surface of the cover as the movable pulley closes on the belt. So, with the additional 5/8" space between the fully closed position and the narrower belt, the pucks just flopped out past the lip of the cover and proceeded to get jammed between the cover and the puck carrier/pulley assembly. At which point chaos ensued...

If that is correct, seems to me there should have been a stop on the pucks to keep them from rotating so far as to slip off the cover like that.
    Yea you are pretty close... The pucks don't pivot like on a hinge like some others... They are set in a slot and ride against the cover so when it opens up too far it just slung them off into space...

The limit to keep it opening to far was to keep the belt the right size... If you have a belt that is worn out over 30% or the wrong size you get in trouble.

Then again if you have a belt that is that far out of spec your shifting is waaaay out of whack.

10. Collapse Details
    Their are a few on ebay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast