Thread: Wall Thickness

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Wall Thickness
    What wall thickness are most frame builders using? And what is your preference - DOM, Chrome, Mild?

I am planning on building a SXS with a Suzuki V-Twin FYI.

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Wall Thickness
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewest1320\";p=\"61536
    What wall thickness are most frame builders using? And what is your preference - DOM, Chrome, Mild?

I am planning on building a SXS with a Suzuki V-Twin FYI.

Thanks
    I run mild steel, 120 wall for most of the rail, 110 for some of the bracing. *Strength is design first, material second, the strongest material will fail if put in a bad design, where a much weaker material will stand true if braced properly, it's all about triangulation and proper distribution of loads.......

To my knowledge, most builders use DOM, .095, some use chromo, but I don't think chromo should be used in a recreation vehicle unless you don't paint it and don't mind checking for cracks every time you use it, which is why trophy trucks are unpainted, checked constantly, and frames are replaced every season or 2...
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Yoshi for your response.

What are you experiences with DOM? Do you use it at all?

Is it as "brittle" as Chrom?

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewest1320\";p=\"61540
    Thanks Yoshi for your response.

What are you experiences with DOM? Do you use it at all?

Is it as "brittle" as Chrom?

Thanks
    DOM is not brittle, chromo is more likely to break or fracture because of how hard/strong it is, which means it's effected more by vibration, but I will admit that if an entire chassis is properly stress relieved after welding (which is expensive and requires a big oven) it won't be as bad as just welding chromo and calling it good, the biggest problem with chromo is the frame cracking just past the weld where the weld was hottest, altho I know of some tubing that has exploded on impact in the middle of a tube, no where near a weld. Chromo should be welded with mild steel rod so there is some flex, otherwise the welds can crack right down the middle.

I would suggest DOM 120 wall for your suspension, if your not boxing in those parts. I use 120 wall Mild steel for my suspension because there is a lot of plating, without the plating, I know that the mild steel would bend, as I have done it many years ago in prototyping .

Don't skimp on your tabs, I use 1/4" plate for all my tabs except my seat tabs which are 3/16". *Make sure the loads are going into intersections as *well.
    And DOM is prob. the ideal choice, I just get mild at a smokin price in the 4 and5k foot bundles i'm getting currently, but may switch over to DOM someday...
    918-521-3736

5. Collapse Details
    The stuff I buy is really nice tubing, nice and shiny...
    918-521-3736

6. Collapse Details
    Yoshi, what are all the Orange handled clamps for if you don't mind me asking. They don't appear to be doing anything.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vidio1\";p=\"61554
    Yoshi, what are all the Orange handled clamps for if you don't mind me asking. They don't appear to be doing anything.
    Not doing nothing? Look closely.....not much of that chassis is welded yet......the clamps hold it in the jig.......

8. Collapse Details
    what happen to jigzilla, that doesn't look like her?

9. Collapse Details
    Personally I use 4130.Proper fab techniques whether mild or 4130 will avoid any brittleness issues.Bad technique will be unsafe either way.4130 is not the issue.Bad welding practice is the trouble. With that said I believe most of the buggies built here with proper triangulation will be just fine with mild.

10. Collapse Details
    [quote=Pacman\";p=\"61555]
    Quote Originally Posted by "vidio1\";p=\"61554":5li4h55n
    Not doing nothing? Look closely.....not much of that chassis is welded yet......the clamps hold it in the jig.......[/quote:5li4h55n]

Ahhhh I see now, it's holding the tubing against tabs. I thought everything was tacked. *I've never built a tube anything on a fixture, I just assumed you would use something besides "spring clamps" for some reason. I guess it makes sence if nothing moves.
    Setting up for any sort of machine work takes the bulk of your fab time, spring clamps should have frames flying out the door.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast