Thread: Tube size

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tube size
    Would smaller frame made out of 1"x1"x1/8" steel tube be enough for a frame?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Tube size
    Depends on buggy size, engine, and how fast you are planning on going, but mostly likely yes it will be strong enough. *However it will also be really heavy for it's strength. *The same frame made from 1.25 x .065 will be stronger and weigh less at the same time.

3. Collapse Details
    Buggy size is roughly 70" long by 30" wide and 55" high. Max speed that I would ever go is probably 60mph.

4. Collapse Details
    minibajaman is dead on. *The bending stress is nearly identical, however the 1.25" tube is nearly 30% lighter than the thick wall 1" tube. *I assume you meant round tube not square, that would make it a bit more complex. *The 1" would be better in tension and compression, however the larger diameter would resist buckling better than the 1", but none of the straight sections are that long so the buckling is pretty much a wash. *Since the likely hood of any member ever being in simple compression or tension is nearly zero, I would concentrate on the bending stress.

I don't have enough practical experience to recommend a material size, however I always tend to err on the strong side, especially if it comes to the safety aspects.

5. Collapse Details
    I meant square. I don't have a way to notch the round tube.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba14c\";p=\"45585
    What - you don't have a drop saw? A drop saw will cut virtually perfect fishmouths.

I built my first motorbike frame when I was twelve and all I had was a hack saw and a half-round bastard file. Where there's a will, there's a way!

The holesaw type [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Tubing-Pipe-Notcher-0-60-Drill-Press-Car-Roll-Cage-Tool_W0QQitemZ250168768099QQihZ015QQcategoryZ633QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem:22r1vorj]notchers[/url:22r1vorj] are really inexpensive and should be a consideration if you're serious about building a chassis.

7. Collapse Details
    OK I'll bite, how do you cut fishmouths on a drop saw?

8. Collapse Details
    I would not recommend building a roll cage from square tubing. *Spend the 50 bucks for the notcher and holesaw and use round tube.

9. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    On our 1st ones, we did all the notching (1 1/2 tube ) with 4" grinders. * *Loud & messy, but it was just grind & fit. Start with a V cut & that is 80% of it.
    You can do alot with a 4" grinder

I would also recomend not going with square.

10. Collapse Details
    [quote=Rorty\";p=\"45589]
    Quote Originally Posted by "scuba14c\";p=\"45585":34jnxwu1
    What - you don't have a drop saw? A drop saw will cut virtually perfect fishmouths.

I built my first motorbike frame when I was twelve and all I had was a hack saw and a half-round bastard file. Where there's a will, there's a way!

The holesaw type [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/Tubing-Pipe-Notcher-0-60-Drill-Press-Car-Roll-Cage-Tool_W0QQitemZ250168768099QQihZ015QQcategoryZ633QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem:34jnxwu1]notchers[/url:34jnxwu1] are really inexpensive and should be a consideration if you're serious about building a chassis.[/quote:34jnxwu1]

Notching with a chop saw is fast and easy but a little dangerous. If you consider yourself a little accident prone don't do it. To get a nice 90 degree notch, place the tube in the saw at about 45 degrees and trim a small edge off the end. Then rotate the tube 180 degrees and do it again. Some angled joints can be done with one cut. Practice with scrap, as always. I'm not surprised Rorty knew this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast