Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best plans for first build?
    Hello Folks, I got a real newb question for everyone. I am ready to build my first mini-buggy, and would like some input about what plans to look at to base my toy from, and what type of suspension to use for the rear.
    To give a heads-up I would like to use the buggy for mostly trails, but liveing in SoCal Im sure it will see the Dunes at Glamis, Dumont and Pismo Beach from time to time also, but currently we ride at El Mirage. My main reason for a mini-buggie build is I currently ride a 1985 ATC250SX and trying to keep-up with newer quads and there suspension travel tears me up, but I dont have $8,000.00 to drop on a new quad all at one time, and dont want to have a payment every month either. Also I can get kinda stupid when I see a big hill, they just call my name and I have to try to climb it, and I usaly endup flipping and rolling so a caged toy sounds better everyday, so if I spend 8grand it will be for something that wont blend-in and be more fun and safer than a Quad.
    I would like to get some plans and modify them for what I want, basicaly I would like to build a 3 seater, with driver in front centered, and 2 seats behind, designed for smaller adults or kids, or maby even a 2 seater inline based off a streched single seater buggy. Im not looking for a rocket ship, I am mostly intrested in comfort and safety, I am starting to look for a XR650 motor or a 1000cc+ street bike motor.
    So what should I look at for the rear suspension style? I will be useing A-Arms upfront and would like to aim for 12-15in of travel front and back useing 930 CV's from a chain drive setup.
    As for me I am a very good welder, Have my own Mig ,Arc and Oxy setups, also have your basic selection of power tools, and looking for a reason to buy somemore 8) , I will be getting a lighweight tube bender and notcher for this project, and a friend at a machien shop we deal with at work owes me for repaing there CNC punch press machien so if I need I can cash-in a favor or two.
    So where should I look for plans? Thanks in advance. Steve

2. Collapse Details
    plans
    I bought prosandbox plans. The frame detail was hard to follow. Ended up designing my own plans on solid works. Go to www.prosandbox.com to see sample of plans and pictures of 1 and 2 seat designs. Also see http://prosandminirailframes.homestead.com/index.html or http://www.desertkarts.com/ or http://www.edge.au.com/ or http://www.rorty-design.com/ also see links from this site.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the links, I had found those sites with a few google searches and I am currently leaning twords the Pro sand MiniRail Frames site. I may just save some time and order there Sure Shot 2 frame with the .120 wall tubeing and backrail options added, all bent and ready for me to weld it together, the price looks realy good, and it would be playing it safe for my first buggy, then If I realy like the design I can try my own modified version of the frame for the next one (2.5 subie with Audi transaxle)
    Now I just need to find a Motor, I called around to the local junkyards and they want $2000+ for a Habausa with airbox and electrical

4. Collapse Details
    This looks like a great opportunity to pimp a new product I am releasing on December 8th. We developed a new product named "Bend-Tech PRO". This product will allow anyone to easily design their own chassis. I have about 30 guys beta testing it and several have zero CAD experience. Everyone of them was designing their chassis, cages, bumpers, etc... And in a matter of couple of hours they had their projects complete.

Here are a couple screen shots:

Pro also has a nice dimensioning package:

It will even help you with your tube cutting:

Bend-Tech Pro is going to have a killer price of $275.00 and most importantly anyone can be up and productive with it in one sitting.

If you would like to get detail on the product, here is a thread that is almost a training manual: http://www.bend-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333

Thanks for letting me hype up PRO in your thread, seams like one potential solution to your quest in getting started.

5. Collapse Details
    Pro sand box plans
    I purchased the pro sand plans and was very dissatisfied with them. Ended up sending them back. They weren't very complete and some of the dimensions were conflicting. Just my experience.

6. Collapse Details
    Re: Pro sand box plans
    Quote Originally Posted by DGE Motorsports
    I purchased the pro sand plans and was very dissatisfied with them. Ended up sending them back. They weren't very complete and some of the dimensions were conflicting. Just my experience.
    Are you talking about the ones from www.prosandbox.com ?

7. Collapse Details
    I bought the plans back in 2001 and they were under a different name then but the plans on pro sandbox's site look just like the ones I purchased. Unless they have updated the drawings since I purchased them they weren't very good.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fabcam
    This looks like a great opportunity to pimp a new product I am releasing on December 8th. We developed a new product named "Bend-Tech PRO". This product will allow anyone to easily design their own chassis. I have about 30 guys beta testing it and several have zero CAD experience. Everyone of them was designing their chassis, cages, bumpers, etc... And in a matter of couple of hours they had their projects complete.
    Bend-Tech Pro is going to have a killer price of $275.00 and most importantly anyone can be up and productive with it in one sitting.
    If you would like to get detail on the product, here is a thread that is almost a training manual:
    Thanks for letting me hype up PRO in your thread, seams like one potential solution to your quest in getting started.
    Do any of your s/w packages output an igs or step file for use in other 3d cad programs?

9. Collapse Details
    I know you said you were looking at a 2-3 seater, but there are a couple of really nice single seaters for sale on this site.
    https://www.minibuggy.net/viewtopic.php?t=268

and this one by Rowycoracing

10. Collapse Details
    Do any of your s/w packages output an igs or step file for use in other 3d cad programs?

Solidworks outputs/inputs igs, step,dwg, etc. Sometimes not perfectly, but the answer is yes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast