Thread: New Build

1. Collapse Details
    New Build
    I am new to the forum and interested in building a 2 seater off road type bigger cart/mini-dune buggy. I want it to have racing style seats and to be pretty big, and have a roll cage assembly, shocks, and other optional uprgades too.

I initially was going to do and I would like to build a street legal vehicle like a dune buggy but it seems that the only way to do this is to track down old VW parts and incorporate them. I really do not want to do that. I would kind of like to builds them or be able to go to a website and buy the parts if needed. I also dont want to spend 6-10K on one building it. I would be comfortable in the 3-5K range if I was building it as I could spread out the payments and buy stuff as I need it.

I have searched the internet for some good plans to start from but just cant seem to come across anything that looks like what I want. Does anyone have any plans they can provide or point me in the right direction.

Is it all possible to do what I want. Can you make something yourself that is street legal so I don't have to worry about getting introuble with someone everytime I take it out on the streets.

If this is not possible, can someone give me some ideas on something similar?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: New Build
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome to MBN.

Where are you located? Toss that into your profile. The reason I ask is that if you live in CA, you'll have to jump through hoops and walk through broken glass to get the ride street legal. If you live in AZ, it's almost as easy as "it moves under it's own power and it has tail lights".

Sounds like you'll be looking for a donor bike for the power plant.

Two things that are expensive, one you can sort of work around, the other you just need to go ahead and bite the bullet on.

First one would be a transmission or, as you'll discover here, an FNR box - stands for Forward, Neutral, Reverse. The 'standard' is the RPM. there's one for sale right now on the site and it'll end up running you roughly 2K. You can get around reverse by doing a flex plate and starter setup. Search away and you'll find info. Look at Glock's build and you can see his progression from flex plate/starter to RPM for reverse ability.

Second thing is shocks. Find some Fox and you'll be good. If your ride doesn't end up being too heavy, you can get away with Fox Airs and they're generally able to be found for 200-220 each.

Don't skimp on shocks - get the right ones, learn to tune them (we'll teach you) and do it right from the start. I'll take a wild guess, but I'd say that 80% of the rides that started out with shocks other than actual off road oriented shocks end up tearing them out and putting Fox's.

Post up pix. Load them into PhotoBucket and then link them. When you do, hit the little icon that is third from the right in the little spot above reply windows (it's next to the little film strip icon thingy - use that for YouTube). Put the URL of the photo in the box and uncheck the reference locally and it'll post them here in your thread.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the reply. I live in Texas.

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Texas has some regs, but not overboard like Commiefornia. You'll be able to get it done.

I grew up in McAllen & on South Padre - know the state well.

5. Collapse Details
    Gonna have to give up on being street legal, unfortunately. In 2015 Texas pretty well choked out homemade frames and they threw out a lot of regulations that made a lot of factory frames illegal. Texas actually REVOKED the titles for all of Texas-issued Ariel Atoms during the fiasco and I'm not sure if that was ever resolved. I'm not sure if my Goka buggy will be eligible since it doesn't meet all the requirements, even though Goka buggies were perfectly legal a few years ago.

You can thank Polaris for it.

6. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    welcome to MBN

we offer 2 seat plans for our SS 1000 and all the parts to build as you need them

Plans

by purchasing the plans, you get a discount on parts that is more than the price of plans so essentially making the plans free