Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tubing For Frame Question/Wall thickness
    I am building a single seat mini buggy, around 8-900 lbs. I am wondering if a larger diameter tube, with smaller wall thickness would be stronger/better/more predictable than a tube wth a smaller diameter but a thicker wall thickness? What is more preferred? For example, these tubes will be used on the frame of the buggy. 1 1/4" x 0.095 tube, V.S. 1 1/2" x 0.083 tube. What would be the better bet? Also, what is the main hoop on a buggy? And would ERW tube be acceptable, or is DOM needed for the frame? Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Tubing For Frame Question/Wall thickness
    Your design can be more important than your material choice. I use to use 1.25", .120 wall ERW for my cars, then switched to .095 wall DOM to cut some weight. Some of my ERW cars have been in high speed rolls and none have ever failed so my advice comes from real world results.

For a car that light, you would be fine with ERW tubing so long as the design is good. I would recommend .120 for the main roll cage and .095 for the rest. Keep in mind that if you decide to build the whole car out of a bigger diameter but thinner wall material, it may be just as strong as thicker wall smaller diameter but the thinner wall can dent easier.

I would use at least .120 DOM for your suspension components.......
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    Your design can be more important than your material choice. I use to use 1.25", .120 wall ERW for my cars, then switched to .095 wall DOM to cut some weight. Some of my ERW cars have been in high speed rolls and none have ever failed so my advice comes from real world results.

For a car that light, you would be fine with ERW tubing so long as the design is good. I would recommend .120 for the main roll cage and .095 for the rest. Keep in mind that if you decide to build the whole car out of a bigger diameter but thinner wall material, it may be just as strong as thicker wall smaller diameter but the thinner wall can dent easier.

I would use at least .120 DOM for your suspension components.......
    Awesome, thanks Yoshi. Good point about the thinner wall thickness denting...never thought of that. Once the tubing dents it will tend to fail right there. I have a design sketched out and I will try and post a photo of it. I tried to add as much triangulation and avoid all dead tubes.
    I think I am going to go with 1 1/4 x .120 for the main frame and where the suspension mounts up to the frame. Then use 1 1/4 x .095 for the x bracing and supports. All suspension will be .120 for sure, and will be DOM.
    When you say 'use .120 for the main roll cage' do you mean the outline of the frame, or just everything overhead? Thanks!

4. Collapse Details
    Main overhead roll bars as well as tubing with shock and suspension tabs attached.
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

5. Collapse Details
    Perfect. That makes sense !

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details

Here is a photo of the frame I designed. I have it sketched out on paper, although I just used paint to get it on the computer digitally to post photos. If there are any places that there should be more bracing or tubing, let me know. If you see any dead tubes let me know as well. Thanks!

8. Collapse Details
    Any Ideas? Thanks guys.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Linden1234321 View Post
    Any Ideas? Thanks guys.
    From what I see in your drawing, it could be a rough draft, although the cross members should intersect perfectly to increase the strength and ease of building.
    Also, avoid any dead tubes and use a bigger wall thickness for the main hoop and upper roll cage. You could add a bit more bracing to the upper cage. We all build are buggies on the safe side, and that's just my opinion. Some other, more experienced guys could add their $0.02...

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexrider98 View Post
    From what I see in your drawing, it could be a rough draft, although the cross members should intersect perfectly to increase the strength and ease of building.
    Also, avoid any dead tubes and use a bigger wall thickness for the main hoop and upper roll cage. You could add a bit more bracing to the upper cage. We all build are buggies on the safe side, and that's just my opinion. Some other, more experienced guys could add their $0.02...
    Thanks for your input Alex. I will add some bracing to the upper roll cage. Where would you see any dead tubes? Also, where is the main hoop located on a buggy (or in my drawing)? I very much appreciate all the help. Thanks Guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast