1. Collapse Details
    hammerhead 250ss engine swap advice
    hello guys, im newbie to this forum. I have a hammerhead 250ss that I traded a guy for my cr85. The buggy was in the worst shape ever, but I did some welding and painting and finally got the frame up to par. The cf250 that's in my buggy is bone stock. if I add in the cost for the performance parts and plus the top end rebuild. I could be better off putting another engine in it. I saw where this one guy put a 660 raptor engine in his joyner. I know the joyners frame are stronger then the hammerhead. could this swap be possible in the hammerhead 250ss?
    any advice highly appreciated!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: hammerhead 250ss engine swap advice
    Anythings possible. I have a hard time believing that a motor swap would be the same amount of money though. A full kill Edrigo build on the CN250 is less than $1000. A 660 swap will cost you quite a bit more than that. I'd just slap a 32mm FCR carb on it and be done. If you're truly set on doing the swap, I'd look at a warrior 350 engine. They are pretty cheap compared to the 660.

This is just my opinion and I have zero experience with the 250cc Chinese buggies other than tearing one apart to pull the engine and harness and then selling the rolling chassis on Craigslist. From what I saw of the 250cc Roketa I owned for a weekend, I wouldn't put much more power in it that what it currently has. The chassis looked like it was designed by a drunk 5 year old. The only thing I liked about it was the engine. I am putting the CN250 I have into a buggy my son and I are building for him next year.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

3. Collapse Details
    The HH250SS drives a center spool via chain. Swapping other engines in is quite doable, though I haven't seen many manual transmission swaps. Most of the time people buy a Polaris 400 or 500 and swap the engine and transmission in so they can keep reverse. Makes them very, very solid buggies.

4. Collapse Details
    ditto the above. powerwise, the 250 can be upgraded, but if you're looking for a big improvement, you're not going to find it with that engine. I think there's still a complete 500 for sale on buggynews and several builds threads on the same swap that you could follow.

5. Collapse Details
    True, I said the manual 660 engine because it was smaller in size vs an engine like the 500 with the cvt include that takes up more space. I wany to try this swap very bad. I have confidence in my self. I caN fabricate somethings also. Wish I had a estimate of the cost.

6. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Estimating cost is so variable. Engine, materials, correcting mistakes, ect. Just start by getting some prices, then double what you come up with and you should be close.
    I race, therefore I am

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by odypilots View Post
    Estimating cost is so variable. Engine, materials, correcting mistakes, ect. Just start by getting some prices, then double what you come up with and you should be close.
    I ended up about $300 ahead when I swapped my vfr lump into my gk13. Upfront cost is straight up guesswork.

8. Collapse Details
    that sounds good, Im going to go for it. it shouldn't be too expensive, I mean if it is 1000 for the swap all together, it still beats paying 5000 for a 4 wheeler. I feel that anything below 2000 to 2500 isn't bad for an off road vehicle that's paid for, and built exactly the way you want it. thanks for the advice.
    I will start a different thread once I get started on it, I have to find a donor raptor 660.
    meanwhile I can start beefing things up.